WRX STI vs Evo-X on Topgear

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gannon

WRX STI vs Evo-X on Topgear

Post by Gannon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 pm

I just had to be the 1st to post

Subaru beat the Evo round the track. But Clarkson likes the evo better

Lancer Evolution X Vs. Impreza WRX STi
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm

That was quite entertaining. It is good to see the WRX beat the Evo in times because it sure as hell doesn't beat it in looks.

damosbrumby91

Post by damosbrumby91 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 pm

it is an old ep of topgear wtf?

Mini_Me

Post by Mini_Me » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:51 pm

damosbrumby91 wrote:it is an old ep of topgear wtf?
No it's the new season that started last week. I'd already seen that episode, but i still loved the "test" he did with the mannequins! i also loved the fact that rather than buying the Evo, clarkson would rather have a normal lancer
'89 sherpa... my little beast!

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Mini_Me wrote:No it's the new season that started last week. I'd already seen that episode, but i still loved the "test" he did with the mannequins! i also loved the fact that rather than buying the Evo, clarkson would rather have a normal lancer

tonights is a repeat from like 4 months or so ago.

and Clarkson would rather the 300Hp version instead of the FQ360 or wteva theyre called..but it was still an Evo i thought.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:58 pm

I liked the EVO.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Mini_Me

Post by Mini_Me » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:41 pm

Matatak wrote:tonights is a repeat from like 4 months or so ago.

and Clarkson would rather the 300Hp version instead of the FQ360 or wteva theyre called..but it was still an Evo i thought.
Yeah it would have been about 4 months since it was shown in the UK but as i said it's only just started here. I don't know how many other people here would agree with me but i wouldn't have either of those cars, i prefer the older versions of both!
'89 sherpa... my little beast!

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Season 12 has jsut started in the UK and they are only on Episode 5 now i think it is.
tonight was Season 11 which ive already watched...albeit on Television to

pretty sure it was Season 12 which aired last week here to
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

damosbrumby91

Post by damosbrumby91 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:08 pm

yeh season 12 started the other week on aussy tv and that was def season 11 aint that true mat lol

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:46 am

I loved the look of the evo although my missus thought the subi was a barina! Oh dear subaru what have you guys done to it!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 am

im gonna say something totally different. I love the new sti, i reckon its pronographic. Love the fat stance. Interior is pretty average tho. Also if you hear one of them in real life they sound soo friggin beautiful very very throaty.

akex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 am

yer...i have a very soft spot for the sti...if i could afford one i would buy one...the evo looks too much like a stock bloody lancer with mags...and having been for a ride in 1...its actually a very average ride

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:00 pm

The bottom line is that the Evolution Lancers are a much harder edged machine than the STi's and that's why most less than purist dedicated petrol heads don't like them .
They ride hard and don't have the creature comforts of most roads cars because being razor sharp handling wise means you don't have time to worry about the hair dresser gear .
People who really know will always take the Evo if they are going to drive a car ten tenths - but that's impossible to do on a public road .

As for the comparisons , you could see the STi understeering and it could not put its power to the ground when it counted . The Evo was holding flat out power slides where it was being basically steered on the throttle .

Note the launch of the STi , nose in the air praying mantis style which has been a legacy of the WRX AWD from the beginning .

I don't particularly like the styling of either though the Mitsy is less regurtrant than the "Mazda" .

Under the skin the Evo 10 has had some significant changes like the exhaust manifold and turbo being on the firewall side of the engine rather than out front like the earlier ones . The turbocharger is still twin scroll though now it is standard instead of reverse rotation like E4-9's were .
Garrett is actually tooling up to make a direct fitting twin scroll GT3076R turbocharger for the Evolutioin 10 and when that escapes 500 Hp Evo's are going to be easy peasy - with no huge lag penalty .

Anyway I can't afford either though I still wonder if an Evo VI will one day wear my plates .

A .

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:05 pm

I'll take the EVO.....its almost like Subaru & Mitsubishi have swapped car style designers. The older EVO's were boring and Subaru was hot, now its the other way round...latest EVO looks hot, especially with the retro styling of the old rally winner of years back and the current STI looks like a pregnant Ford Laser or something...lol Though the Lancer could do with some more sportier looks, better spoiler kit & letterbox on the bonnet and the EVO's are priced far too high for my liking. If I won lotto tomorro Id take an M5 or M3 anyday over an EVO.

It good to watch stuff like these shows, ya get to see 'supposedly' impartial judging of different model cars side by side.

That comment that guy made in the coverage that a 'woman' would not be the slightest bit interest in sports cars got my goat though! Grrr. I dont know what prissy women he's been hanging out with coz there are tonnes of us car lovin chicks out there...! ;)

L-Raiser
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”