L Series Powerplant Conversion Question

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Kieren

L Series Powerplant Conversion Question

Post by Kieren » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 pm

hello all

i have a 1989 L Series Wagon, and after 330000kms my EA82 has all but packed it in. so i have now got a few options available to me, but am unsure on what is the best option.

ill start with explaining my car. i have done a body lift of 3' to accomodate 27'/8.5/R14 kumho muddies. ive replaced the springs with super heavy duty king springs, and i got another inch outta the lift. being an older car, ive replaced cv joints, wheel bearings and even swapped the battery to a commodore battery. running them much larger tyres has given me a major torque loss in the bottom end when shes off road, even in low range.

thus the debate between me and my dad begins. im nearly 19 and my dads been playing with subies for donkeys years and we've both become to love em. so now we want to know:

what engine is best put in? the EA82 Turbo or the EJ20 Turbo?
we aint chasing major power, more shifting the torque curve. im at uni and the less hassel the better with installing, but we want the best motor regardless.

all opinions will be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks for your potential help

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:23 pm

The best powerplant for the L would be an EJ22 normally aspriated as you get similar power to an EA82T(unmodified) and you dont have the hassle of the turbo. Many people have done this conversion so there are plenty to help you along with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Kieren

Post by Kieren » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

how hard is it to chop the cross members ect to install?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:01 pm

firstly sorry to the ea82t boys, but theyre grandpa motors which are well behind the times in both technology and power compared to the ej series.

ej22 will do you perfectly,they have 100kw and its also a relatively easy conversion, and your ea gearbox wont hate you too much for it.

ej turbo brings it into a whole new ball game they produce a solid 170kw, but then youll have to look into beafier brakes, gearboxes, etc etc. Im running a ej20g in my l-series at the moment. It has bucketloads of lowdown torque(more than my previous 3 ej22's, which is contrary to others beliefs) but i have broken 3 gearboxes in the 12months that its been in there.

could also go a ej25 as well, itll give you about 130kw.

ej22 is your best option dude.

alex

Kieren

Post by Kieren » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:03 pm

what about the gearboxs? being at uni i dont want to keep fussing changing gearboxes and as i travel a fair bit off road.

also what about fitting them? coz i cant exactly afford to have it stickered and off the road...

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

I agree definitely in your situation go for the non turbo EJ22. Better motor, similar power to EA82turbo. Later when/if you decide you need more power, the upgrade to EJ20turbo from an existing EJ22 converted car is quite easy.

No cutting of anything is required to fit an EJ22.
You can bolt it to your existing EA82 4x4 gearbox easily with the use of an adaptor plate.

Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of the conversions thread, everything is covered in great detail there.
showthread.php?t=980

Also search for a few people's conversion threads when they have done theirs.

Kieren

Post by Kieren » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 pm

that helps heaps thanks

do you also know anything about availability of parts for the ej22?

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm

well i have one that i currently swapped out of my car for a fresher one, because it had done 300,000km. that said it is still a excellent running engine and up for sale if you should want it. avail of parts for it are common as chips.

whilst im at it i also have a gearbox adaptor plate aluminium with template ready to go.

its the most bang foryour buck conversion. treat her nice and you wont break any boxes.

Kieren

Post by Kieren » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm

ahh cool. ill have a look round for a bit less km one, but the plate sounds good.

how much would u want for it?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:13 pm

If I were ya, if you're gonna use EA box go for EJ22, not EJ20 Turbo - too much power for the EA box as you'll blow it up. EJ22 is widely available and worth getting.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm

I have an EJ22 (KM unknown), adapter plate, cut down loom, computer, fuel pump, heavy duty clutch etc etc... all in a registered 1991 Sportswagon (with 14 inch wheels and 2 inch lift kit) you could drive it all away for $1200. It has some minor rust, a crack in the windscreen and the catalytic converter has a bit of a rattle.

It is currently my daily driver while i finish with my Outback, however I only need it for another two weeks.

Some photos of when the conversion was done

PM me if interested.... I live North of the River

rob

Kieren

Post by Kieren » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:...gonna use EA box go for EJ22, not EJ20 Turbo - too much power for the EA box as you'll blow it up...
AP
yeah id rebuild the EA box to b safe

Return to “Subaru Chat”