what turbo mods DJR 17 Sierra Cosworth

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

what turbo mods DJR 17 Sierra Cosworth

Post by steptoe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Does anyone recall Dick Johnsons years in his Ford Sierra Cosworth and more importantly understand what mods he did to make it fly compared to all the other Cossies. At the time I recall a machining tolerance within the turbo itself is what gave him the extra shove, also not know much about turbo at the time

Wondering how same can be applied to our turbo Subies

Thinking Disco is old enough and clued up enough to know and explain ?

Willie

Post by Willie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:07 am

I remember he got in trouble somewhere along the line for larger (than the regs allowed) turbos, and also for being too light - was made to carry ballast in one Bathurst race from memory.

I love Bathurst - especially 1966. Anyone remember the results from that year????

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Cooper S Mini! I think it was 8 of the top 10 places, including 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 am

I don't recall specs on his car. I did ask him once what his favorite car was and he told me the the Blue falcon that Qld paid for although the Sierra was the fastest going up the hill. Really had some mumbo in his words.

The sierras were that good in their time that Peter Brock drove one. The 2 black Texaco sierras had the win taken off them because of ill-legal fairing.

Bring back the old days of Bathurst with more than 2 makes.

BTW, throw 200,000 dollars at your Subaru engine and it will go like that too.

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 am

I remember reading that he ran the engine alot harder for qualifying, something like 100hp more than on race day.

Ive seen some old photo's of mini's mixing it up with chev impalas, the races were interesting back then. I like the different approaches to winning, you have the big cars fly past the mini's on the straights, then the mini's would catch them under brakes and sail past the big cars on the corners.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 am

I was thinking about these Sierras last week, and then Top Gear showed a bit of British Touring car rounds. I had no idea they had American cars in UK, race or otherwise. These entertainers killed another Morris Marina :) :) . If I see one on our roads it is a very rare sight indeed !

jim

Post by jim » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 am

i read an article by john bowe on these cars, dick would jump in the car and wind to the boost up to max then play with another dial (think something to do with fuel can't remember) until engine sounded right/pinging stopped while his foot was flat to the floor.

but with all the cheating that went on back then who knows? but what a fun time in touring car racing

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:27 pm

From what I recall, he had fitted a custom turbine into the stock turbo housing, and there was something about the fuel pressure. It was a long time ago......

Return to “Subaru Chat”