EA82 knock sensors...2 sorts?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

EA82 knock sensors...2 sorts?

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:52 am

I have found one knock sensor green in colour on an EA82T to have just one pin. My others in use have been white with two pins. Is two pin white for 3 plug ECU and greeen single pin for 4 plug ECU?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:28 pm

That is correct Jon

I dont know if they are the same sensor inside, It could be as simple as taking one of your 2 wires to the sensor, and grounding the other. On the other hand they might be completely different (in which case you should send that green sensor to me) ;-)
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes thats it, i am runnig a single pin knock with a 3 plug ECU at the moment, only cause i dont have a spare 2 pin. It seems to work if you gound one pin, to assess it i set up the dizzy so the engine pinged then wired in the knock sensor and ran it again with no pinging. Dont know if it will work in the long term but no complaints after the first 1000kms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 am

ah ha. You'd almost think that was a retrograde step but maybe the 4 plug ECU single pin knock sensor uses a better earth. Shouldn't be too hard to test the pins of the two pin to see which one is earth then ! Nice try Gannon. Not called steptoe for nothin' ! Something to tinker with while I shake of this back-to-back cold#2, AAAaarchooo %&*#@. Every cold I get or sneeze reminds me of a MAD mag sketch of a sneeze, from about 1978. The spray depicted little bits of garbage including a chicken wishbone :(

Return to “Subaru Chat”