Insurance for modified Subaru's

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Willie

Insurance for modified Subaru's

Post by Willie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been addressed before ....... however I am looking for info on companies that will insure a lifted L series wagon with the EA82T motor conversion.:?

There are a number of similar vehicles owned by regular users of this forum, so some of you must have your cars insured. 8)

If you have info on insurance companies willing to cover said vehicles, and an idea of approximate cost, I would be very grateful to hear from you. :D

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:45 pm

Shannons is the only one that I know will do it.

http://www.shannons.com.au

Give them a go. Dont know how much, only just got my wagon for a conversion on the brumby so its not insured. But will have to insure Brumby when its done.
Dougz....
84 Brumby - (Project rally car, one day)
89 Brumby
86 Touring Wagon - (with aftermarket turbo)
2004 BA Falcon Ute
2005 VZ SV6 Commodore.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Dougs. But they will prob want to reg as an RX so expect to pay - as you will be using dirty words with them (dirty word = turbo)

Alternatively you could pocket the money yoursenf and then repair yourself if and when the time comes... much easier = my 2c

Willie

Post by Willie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Alternatively you could pocket the money yoursenf and then repair yourself if and when the time comes... much easier = my 2c[/quote]

Unless I run into a new 7 series BMW, or Maybach ..... that might hurt the hip pocket a little 8O
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:27 pm

if it has been enginerred and is 100%legal just car will insure it for you...

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:31 pm

my ea81t brumby with 2" lift is insured through Shannon's... costs me just shy of $1k/year for full comprehensive ( not rating 1 ).

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:39 pm

With Shannons my RS turbo wagon , insured for $9000 ,is $580 per year, I have also tlod them that it is lifted even though at the momment it isnt.
Once you tell them that it is modified you are covered for all future mods so long as they are legal .

Mike.
ImageImage

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Friend of mine has a 2" Lifted L series wagon running a WRX motor.
Not engineered.
Not taken over the pits since the conversion.

Insured fully comprehensive with RAC, conversion is listed with them - they didn't even require an inspection of the car.

a.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 pm

This isnt really insurance but its a similar topic

Those of you that have put a ea82t in your wagons,.. what did you do to make it legal?

I spoke to a guy at the garage where you get a blue slip, and he said as long as it is the same capacity, it is just an engine number change (though he kinda had a 'wink wink' look on his face) and i forgot to mention the turbo

Is this accurete?

Will this affect my 3rd party insurance?

Gannon
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:59 pm

I am rather suprised that RAC would touch anything like that , good to hear that they do though ,what cost per year and for how much is it covered.

Mike.
ImageImage

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:21 pm

it was insured for $6500 agreed value (thats cause that was his purchase price of the L about 5 years ago). From memory it was $400-and-something a year.

When dealing with an insurance company you've just got to word it properly. You don't say "My L series has a full WRX conversion with 300% increase in power, crossmember welded, tailshaft shortened etc etc etc"

You just say "its had the engine changed for a 2litre turbo". Pretty vague but they don't care - they just act like receptionists. Solong as they record those details you are fine. If you have a crash and they inspect the car, sure enough its got a 2litre turbo engine and thats noted on the policy!

Just gotta remember, as a car enthusiast, to you your car is a very involved part of your life. To them (even tho they should be interested in every last detail) they aren't. Its just a car.

4wdrift

hate to be a killjoy...

Post by 4wdrift » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 pm

This discussion has come up before and I recall someone made a serious point when they said something like the following.

'Most insurers will insure your vehicle even if it is 'modified' without engineer inspection. If you hit another car, which is your bread and butter claim (5k to 10k) damage they'll probably sign off on it anyway. In the event that you hit someone and cause personal injury they will drop you very quickly, claiming that the car is illegal. The response will be along the lines of failure to maintain a vehicle in a roadworthy condition, which is the owners responsibility. In the unfortunate event that someone else is hurt you could have to pay for everything, incl Ambo's etc.

The police will be invovled and it will be their word versus yours as to the legality of the vehicle. Guess who the insurer will side with?

Make no mistake, when it comes to the big bucks (as personal injury can very quickly) your very liberal insurer will use any means possible to avoid paying the claim. The smallest loophole will do.

Sorry to sound like a nana, but no one should be ignorant of the potential costs in a worst case scenario.

Apologies to whoever it was tha first responded with this info if I have misquoted.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:43 am

All you need to do in WA is get it passed over the pits, they let just about anything over here.
I plan to take my 3" lifted WRX converted L series over fairly soon. I'll just tell them its a 2", then they will give me a permit for a "lift kit".

Return to “Subaru Chat”