street sleeper?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
yellowsubie

street sleeper?

Post by yellowsubie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:51 pm

hey there fellow suabrus ive just turn 18 and im on my Ps and i wanna make my l seris a street sleeper that could beat the " im so fast in my holden" guys
so any ideas?

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 pm

your not allowed engine conversions being on P's correct?

put and exhaust on it and wait till your off your P's.. then put in a WRX motor

H-top

Post by H-top » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Of it requires engineers aproval. Then no.
Get a work permit, then yes.
Or just have it look stock and
supposed to be there :)
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Chuck her into LOW 4WD and go off into the dirt is the best advice I can give you and watch those old Bomodores try and catch you. You have 1.8 litre boxer, most Commodes are 3.8 litre V6. Learn to drive on dirt, off road until laws allow you to be a racer boy

yellowsubie

Post by yellowsubie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 pm

whats the fastest you can go in low range?

H-top

Post by H-top » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Also,
Ea82t's are faster 0 - 80 than VY V6s
I hear lol
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:06 am

yellowsubie wrote:whats the fastest you can go in low range?
over 100kmh but the revs is screaming..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:03 am

H-top wrote:Also,
Ea82t's are faster 0 - 80 than VY V6s
I hear lol
yeah riiight.

ej20g l-series will smash a commonwhore sumthing chronic.

i smahsed a BA xr8 in mine.

just dont try and race your 1.8l l-series. Dont be a tool.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 am

i run the wagon in the rain high range up against a lot of people in commodores and falcons.
saw one guy try and take off spun the rear of his fg ute into the light pole from a stand still..........

i run a stnadard engine atm. but if youve got the money go a mpfi or turbo with an upgrade,

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 pm

EJ20 turbo conversion is your answer. Most likely going to be too expensive for you to convert the car legally with all engineering approvals, also probably not legal for you to drive it on P plates. But it will smash commodores left right and centre.

Be aware that these days your average commodore driver isn't exactly surprised or blown away by the fact that anyone can chuck a turbo engine into an old shitter and beat them in a straight line. Street sleeping street races from the lights are also becoming less and less common with all the massive fines and hoon laws etc. Also less performance cars driven daily due to petrol costs.

Have a read of my build thread for the Sedan featured in my signature pic below. This was awesomely reliable, economical and a very good performer. In completely standard trim (no spoiler, no wanky scoops, no wank at all) was a pretty decent sleeper.
showthread.php?t=4684

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:52 pm

in the olden days, Nitrous was a good add on for instant hit. Used to work with a dude that could set up to work correctly on carby motors.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:39 pm

steptoe wrote:in the olden days, Nitrous was a good add on for instant hit. Used to work with a dude that could set up to work correctly on carby motors.
HAHA...ive also seen a motor get blown into a trillion pieces by nos :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:18 pm

i built a small NOS adon my mates old gemini carby
its not hard but yeah wasnt all that good.
just a pipe to the airbox behind the filter. one switch for the valve for the high pressure nos and another for a second fuel pump, worked reasonable but yeah only good for on off throtle for some reason, couldnt keep up without dieing down

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:11 pm

This guy used to plumb it into the underside, inside of manifolds V8 and a jet for each cylinder. He claimed he had the know how to get all jetting correct to get best result. He learnt it all from his dyno dude dad.

Ay, yes, I think it was NOS that contributed to the 400HP EA82T self destructing on the dyno in QLD. Was it QIKRX or its new owner?

Surely then a pair of twin Hitachis from an EA81 on the old EA82, and go a pair of reground 16/56 cams from WAtson Racing Cams up there in QLD, another bit of old fashioned go faster methods. Remove weight, like spare wheel, tool kit, stereo, speakers, towbar, tow and tie down hooks, water in all washer bottles, back seats, passenger seats - nah seats have to stay for RTA reasons.

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 pm

My recipe for fun with bommodores.

Wait for a wet day.
Find a set of lights facing uphill, the steeper the better.
Pull up beside HSV clubsport with big exhaust, rear window stickers, stock rear wheels, green p-plate, pumping bass.
Select 4WD hi range.
DONT dump the clutch!!!!!!
Wave bye bye to HSV clubby spinning wheels madly in desperate attempt to launch. (sometimes they actually slide backwards!)
Stop accelerating just below speed limit.
Laugh hysterically.
Wave politely to police radar setup on side of road, as you cruise by in your neat little l-series.

Pull over because you are cracking up so hard you can't drive......

See? I told you I was evil.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:57 pm

I have tried that with my GLTM and got blown away as they owner had ticked a box - traction control :( :(

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Traction control won't help them much if they have the usual wide 19" mags on the front and stock rims with half gone rubber on the back, lowered (rock hard) suspension and no clutch control.....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 am

If you know your way around a gearbox and do some research you can build a pretty quick NA EJ subi. I've been in a member's brumby that ran a stock EJ25 with a specially built box - I've NEVER felt the skin on my face move towards the seat's headrest like it did in this thing. It was insane!

Obviously running an AWD gearbox. It did have some *slightly* tuned suspension and a front and rear LSD. The idea behind the NA motor was an easy to source donk if that one went pare-shaped.

But to keep it sleeper you want it to look completely stock, to be quiet - or at least sound like it was stock (I don't think this would be easy to do with a free flowing exhaust, probabily best just to keep it quiet). Basically anything that gives it away as not being stock has to go! Factory hub caps on stock rims are always a good touch to have ;) Or the old straw hat on the rear parcel shelf if you've got one!

Either way, have fun with it. It is probabily best to hold off until you get off your P's. I know I did a lot of stupid things in a stock torana before getting to where I am now. I miss that torana!

I'm going to go before my inner bogan makes an appearance!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 pm

i have a completly stock looking brumby agqiup ,,,even the wheels are standard BUT under the bonnet is a ej22 and trust me a standard commodore or falcon wont catch ya of the line ,and they never suspect a thing ,,,nobody takes any notice of a stock looking little brumby criusing around ,,untill they see the tailgate drive away from them at lights :mrgreen:..khanacross

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

i beat a 100series landcruiser in my l-series with ej22. Then road rage entailed him weilding a tyre iron when he eventually overtook me...but thats a story for another day :)

to give you an idea, the best time i ran at the drags with my ej22 l-series running 27inch tyres, bull bar etc was a high 16.

then with the ej20g and larger heavier tyres(29s) i ran a very low 14 pushing 17lb boost. Would be able to hit low 13s with a stocker EASY, maybe even high 12s with afew small mods.

A 14sec car at the drags isnt that quick but on the street it is.

also the VE clubsports were running mid 13s. Theyre a slow pos which proves its not all about big numbers :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

Return to “Subaru Chat”