Long term project times...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

Long term project times...

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Looking for a Guiness Book of Records time for a Subie project that has taken some time to get to completion.

I am going to nominate self for my turbo Brumby project. Inspiration started in 2005 to turbo the twin carb LPG EA81, swayed towards an EA82T LPG. Bought the GLTA to work on to sort things out in prep for transplant to Brumby in May 2006. Only in Oct 10 did I know it will fit.

The GLTA has taken some time to 'develop' and sort and instead of just being a donor test bed, I have enjoyed driving it over 50,000 k's - having some torment along the journey.

getting closer....... (i reckon anyway)

Let's hear your nominations - self or otherwise

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I bought MonsterWagon in stock form (came with 14's yay!) I think in early 2005 and started modding it immediately.
It's not finished today.
I don't think it ever will be.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:13 pm

I bought an EJ16 computer and harness to use in my brumby with an EJ16 motor, it is all sitting on a workshop floor as it was all bypassed for a carby powered EJ20 which will soon be replaced with carby powered EJ22

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:25 pm

I bought the WRX in late 04 and it's off the road getting a heap of mods done to it at the moment.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

tex

Post by tex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:09 pm

I bought my first brumby in 2004 (about) with the intent of fixing up the panels and selling it off then went for a drive in the mountains and fell in love with it! I drove it round for 4 years modifiying it as I went including a cross bred kit etc. and been registered in two or three states. When I went overseas it fell out of rego and dad parked it down the back of the farm with the parking lights on and the window down, Then since late 2008 I rescued it strip and dry the interior and install my new (was) EJ20 in it and its been sitting in the shed since that day!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm

tex wrote:I bought my first brumby in 2004 (about) with the intent of fixing up the panels and selling it off then went for a drive in the mountains and fell in love with it! I drove it round for 4 years modifiying it as I went including a cross bred kit etc. and been registered in two or three states. When I went overseas it fell out of rego and dad parked it down the back of the farm with the parking lights on and the window down, Then since late 2008 I rescued it strip and dry the interior and install my new (was) EJ20 in it and its been sitting in the shed since that day!
at least it sitting in a shed

tex

Post by tex » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah but dads not happy cause its in his shed!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm

I bought a trike (death machine with a pull start) in 1989 with a blown motor.

Bought a replacement motor off ebay last year. Should be complete in 2031
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

justin35

Post by justin35 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

My dad bought a subi MY hatch(the one i now have) and drove it around for a few years then decided to do an ej conversion with super charger,he took it of the road bought all the gear and it sat for 10years.Still not having the time to do it i bought it and have been doing it for a little over 2 years...Poor girl has been of the road for now just over 12years waiting to be reborn..

sammynb

Post by sammynb » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Bought the RX, actually it's a 1985 Turbo Sedan, in 1998 from a wholesaler who had it on their shop floor for about 2 years. It had about 120k on it, the original AM/FM radio and it became the family car. Drove it everywhere and then it started to overheat, so out came the radiator and a new modified one was built using a Liberty twin core. Then as the kms mounted up I grew sick of the air suspension handling like a house boat, so out it came and was replaced by gas dampers and lowered k-mac springs. Now it handled a little better it was time to update the shoes and a set of Rallysport (UK made) 15' minilites were ordered from an importer in Nowra and they were shod with 15/205/55 Kuhmo tyres.
Then around 2000 the auto started slipping giving me the excuse to change it to a manual. So a second hand box, flywheel, pedal box was purchased and the box shipped to Brisbane, sorry I can't remember the name of the w/shop, to be rebuilt using Liberty internals and an RS centre diff (3.9), that was then fitted with a ceramic four paddle clutch, a shortened commodore tailshaft, modified linkages and an original L Series Brown (matching) centre console. Four or so months later it's back on the road and you wouldn't believe it's the same car.
With the exception of an over fuelling issue, which was sorted with a replacement airflow meter, it ran beautifully until October 2004. Yeah it could have had more power but it scared a few who though they were something special.
So October 04 and we are working on the Escarpade variety bash, about an hour outside of Glen Innes on a dirt road and it just drops power, followed by that sound when you just know your car is now missing that essential bearing in the big end of a conrod.

So out came the engine, a new crankshaft was sources, it was bored .40, everything was balanced, conrods shot peened, forged pistons were source from NZ (the guy who use to supply Possum Bourne's rally RX), the heads ported and polished and o-ringed. A new flywheel was made, less than half the OE weight, and it was modified to take an RX7 pressure plate - making it much easier to source an uprated PP. Larger injectors and a higher pressure fuel pump along with a K&N filter pod were meant to take care of the air/fuel intake. Then a set of stainless Techworks headers and a Garrett GT28 were fitted, with a PWR air to water intercooler and a custom 3" stainless exhaust was made.
It looked amazing but do you think would run? No. To get to that point had taken 18 months and a divorce. Then the new girlfriend's brother in law suggested "we" fit a Haltech ecu, so more $$$ was parted and the next few months soldering up the loom.
As the car was a 1985 model it was running the vacuum advance distributor, so a later model optical unit was found so the Haltech had a crank position sensor. Finally after two years, about the last time I posted on the board, we were ready, it turned over, it tried and tried to run but nothing. The girlfriend's brother inlaw was no help, a mate who was "motec trained" tried but as it wasn't a supported vehicle he didn't get much further.
So it's the end of 2006 and nothing I'm at a loss.
Since then we've moved house, made the g/f the 2nd wife, bought a wrx and poor rex (yes I know how unoriginal) has sat there, waiting.

But now it's time. After recently finding copies of factory service manuals I've discovered a bunch of wiring issues we could only guess at the time, a Chilton's manual being our best and only source of info. So hopefully rex will run.
And when it does there's a spider manifold waiting to be fitted and a 5 stud conversion planned (no doubt after we've had to replace everything rubber that has gone off).

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Dad has a Ferrari Dino kit car. Has a VW type 3 floor pan and box, with an EJ22 fitted in the back. He bought it in 01/02. First few months that he had it he was doing well. Had the floor replaced and rustproofed, bought a G1S2 lib as an engine donor, did the wiring cut down and made it run. It then sat under his patio for about 6 years. He then decided to do some more to it so put new carpet throughout and shocks. Since then all that has happened is it was pushed out the front and put up for sale. Doubt it will ever be done.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:38 pm

sammynb wrote:Bought the RX, actually it's a 1985 Turbo Sedan, in 1998 from a wholesaler who had it on their shop floor for about 2 years. It had about 120k on it, the original AM/FM radio and it became the family car. Drove it everywhere and then it started to overheat, so out came the radiator and a new modified one was built using a Liberty twin core. Then as the kms mounted up I grew sick of the air suspension handling like a house boat, so out it came and was replaced by gas dampers and lowered k-mac springs. Now it handled a little better it was time to update the shoes and a set of Rallysport (UK made) 15' minilites were ordered from an importer in Nowra and they were shod with 15/205/55 Kuhmo tyres.
Then around 2000 the auto started slipping giving me the excuse to change it to a manual. So a second hand box, flywheel, pedal box was purchased and the box shipped to Brisbane, sorry I can't remember the name of the w/shop, to be rebuilt using Liberty internals and an RS centre diff (3.9), that was then fitted with a ceramic four paddle clutch, a shortened commodore tailshaft, modified linkages and an original L Series Brown (matching) centre console. Four or so months later it's back on the road and you wouldn't believe it's the same car.
With the exception of an over fuelling issue, which was sorted with a replacement airflow meter, it ran beautifully until October 2004. Yeah it could have had more power but it scared a few who though they were something special.
So October 04 and we are working on the Escarpade variety bash, about an hour outside of Glen Innes on a dirt road and it just drops power, followed by that sound when you just know your car is now missing that essential bearing in the big end of a conrod.

So out came the engine, a new crankshaft was sources, it was bored .40, everything was balanced, conrods shot peened, forged pistons were source from NZ (the guy who use to supply Possum Bourne's rally RX), the heads ported and polished and o-ringed. A new flywheel was made, less than half the OE weight, and it was modified to take an RX7 pressure plate - making it much easier to source an uprated PP. Larger injectors and a higher pressure fuel pump along with a K&N filter pod were meant to take care of the air/fuel intake. Then a set of stainless Techworks headers and a Garrett GT28 were fitted, with a PWR air to water intercooler and a custom 3" stainless exhaust was made.
It looked amazing but do you think would run? No. To get to that point had taken 18 months and a divorce. Then the new girlfriend's brother in law suggested "we" fit a Haltech ecu, so more $$$ was parted and the next few months soldering up the loom.
As the car was a 1985 model it was running the vacuum advance distributor, so a later model optical unit was found so the Haltech had a crank position sensor. Finally after two years, about the last time I posted on the board, we were ready, it turned over, it tried and tried to run but nothing. The girlfriend's brother inlaw was no help, a mate who was "motec trained" tried but as it wasn't a supported vehicle he didn't get much further.
So it's the end of 2006 and nothing I'm at a loss.
Since then we've moved house, made the g/f the 2nd wife, bought a wrx and poor rex (yes I know how unoriginal) has sat there, waiting.

But now it's time. After recently finding copies of factory service manuals I've discovered a bunch of wiring issues we could only guess at the time, a Chilton's manual being our best and only source of info. So hopefully rex will run.
And when it does there's a spider manifold waiting to be fitted and a 5 stud conversion planned (no doubt after we've had to replace everything rubber that has gone off).
Sounds very noice indeed

Pics by chance??
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Two words:

Ruby Scoo...

Still gotta put the rest of the interior back in, align the windows since installing electric windows and give her a general tidy up. It should've been done last year after the EJ was dropped in.

So much to do, so little time and money to do it in!

There are plenty of other little projects on the go around the traps too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:29 am

My project wont make the guinness book of records, but it seems like it should.I started T'sunami wagon the 1st of may this year, progress to date is 4/6 lift, xt6 front and rear swaybars, carpet, tilt column, interval wipers,electric mirrors...alot of little stuff. Shes sitting waiting for a sti turbo drive train conversion and harness/ecu mods and a refresh on a jdm ej20g.
Hopefuly by years end:cool:
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 pm

BU^Mp !

Return to “Subaru Chat”