efi and carbi motors

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
jollylseries

efi and carbi motors

Post by jollylseries » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm

can anyone tell me if a carbi intake will fit on efi block and heads of an ea82 motors as i have got efi motor but carbi motor in car and dont want to put all the computer crap in or would i be better trying to put computer in for efi

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm

First of all, punctuation is really important if you want other forum members to understand your post.

Im guessing that you have a blown carby motor in your car, and a good MPFI engine in your shed?

EA82 MPFI heads are slightly different to EA82 carby ones. MPFI heads have dual intake ports whereas the carby only has sinlge intake ports. Thus are not interchangeable

The blocks are close enough to be the same, the only difference being that MPFI blocks were 9.5:1 compression (carby was 9.0:1) and they have an extra crankcase vent near the bell housing.

Give us a little more detail and we will see if we can help you
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

jollylseries

Post by jollylseries » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm

thanks for that well if thats the case how hard is it to wire the mpfi motor in much work in it or prety easy to do

poprock1

":;)*?

Post by poprock1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 pm

I too, was once a grammar nazi. Once I received text messages I realized that to the younger generation punctuation is as relevant as superannuation. If you can read text messages then anything is comprehensible. However, Suparoo's explanation of the extra crankcase vent on the EFI engine is probably the answer to my question about the capped pipe on the EA82 carby engine air cleaner. And to quote Clive James, " everyone wants to use the comma and the apostrophe but nobody knows where they go ".:-D;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am

Do you have all the ecu and stuff to do your conversion ?

draws breathe...
does the efi dizzy have vac cannisters and module under cap with wires entering just below cap or enter at extreme bottom?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am

Bad grammar is a pet hate of mine. It usually means one has to read the post several times just to get the gist of it
jollylseries wrote:thanks for that well if thats the case how hard is it to wire the mpfi motor in much work in it or prety easy to do
Thanks for that. Well if thats the case, how hard is it to wire the mpfi motor in? Much work in it, or prety easy to do?

One full stop, 2 commas and 2 question marks.

Now back to your question...

You will need the motor and all associated sensors. This includes the air flow meter, distributor (being an Aus delivered MPFI, it will be a 4 plug system and thus have no vac advance on the dizzy)
You will need the wiring loom and ECU

You will then need the EFI fuel pump, fuel tank and preferably the return line as well.

Its quite a big job.

What is wrong with your current motor?
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

jollylseries

Post by jollylseries » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:41 am

current motor has a few oil leaks, starting to blow smoke and has lifter noise and was hopping it would be an easy change over but its not looking like it so where would be the best place to look for another ea82 carbi motor

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 am

Suparoo wrote:Bad grammar is a pet hate of mine. It usually means one has to read the post several times just to get the gist of it

Thanks for that. Well if thats the case, how hard is it to wire the mpfi motor in? Much work in it, or prety easy to do?

One full stop, 2 commas and 2 question marks.
ouch!
jollylseries wrote:current motor has a few oil leaks, starting to blow smoke and has lifter noise and was hopping it would be an easy change over but its not looking like it so where would be the best place to look for another ea82 carbi motor
If you going to the trouble of changing from a carby engined ea82 to an MPFI engine, you may as well go the whole hog and plunge into an EJ computer controled motor. Either that or go the carbied EJ motor, like I did.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

You could put the carby heads on the MPFI block, this would gain you a bit of extra compression.

Or if you are feeling adventurous, take the throttle body off the MPFI plenum, make an alloy adapter plate and bolt a weber onto it.

jollylseries

Post by jollylseries » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm

im more looking to just swop the motors over with little work so the car spends les time off the road so im thinking i will be better off just getting another ea82 carbi motor. Can anyone help me with where i may find ont thanks

poprock1

Post by poprock1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Posted Toonga's Grammar Nazi parody to my email acquaintances;
it's an overnight sensation.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

maybe ill stick up for the little guy here
punctuation and spelling arent my strong points and the oldies here (XD) like to have a dig every time they get the chance

the motors are the same but different
if you want to do the change quick get another carb motor, they go forever and engine out in and running can be done in 2.5 hours if your good

MPFI engines make a little more power but the swap can be a little harder. if you want the power and your car is alright now you can shorten the wiring loom so it only runs the engine and place it in the engine bay or somwhere close without having to run the loom to everything else.
this means that you will be able to do the swap a little faster, the wiring is the hardest part though

Return to “Subaru Chat”