outback to cape york ?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
khanacross

outback to cape york ?

Post by khanacross » Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

hi guys ,i have a 10/99 outback 2.5 auto ,,couple of mates are heading to cape york next year and have asked me along ,,, only question is whether my outback would get there ? is it possible in a outback ? i have searched youtube on the cape and some of the 4x4 tracks look a bit "challenging" ... i know there is a easy way around the telegragh track ,but really would be nice to experience that part of the trip ... dont really want to go around ... any thoughts ? khanacross

fisch

Post by fisch » Wed May 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Mate i did cape york last year and it really is the kinda place you can do mild or wild. We did it in a fairly well prepared pajero and took no chances as we kinda thought that mechanical failure would just be a matter of when not if. We didnt even end up with a flat (even though we took 2 spares) maybe we were kissed on the d@#k by the fairys. I would say though if u are considering to do the tele track prepare ya self for problems as some of the creek crossing had my lifted fully loaded 4x4 floating! We did gunshot but one of the tracks around the main drop but even those were so steep that we had to winch out of the bottom of them cause the car sat on the bullbar. If u just stick to the PDR u will make it all the way through no worries the corrogations at times can drive u insane but we just knocked the tyres down to 25psi and lowered the speed to 80kph and this ironed out alot of the pain. The trip was amazing and lived up to all the hype im already planning this years trip (im lucky to live in cairns) but its gunna be a fishing trip to lakefield. If u have any questions mate im happy to talk ya ear off about the place
mitch

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Wed May 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Some years ago, My uncle and a couple of his mates took 2 "L" series sports wagons up to the Cape & back. Copped a bit of flack initially from the heavier SUV types but after he'd rescued a couple of them who got stuck, they cut him a bit of slack. Cars handled it well but the corrugated roads punished the shocks - he found that the cheaper oil shocks lasted better than the gas shocks. Plan ahead well and carry spares for the things that are most likely to break, was his advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu May 26, 2011 12:55 am

It will make it easily of prepared, a standard commo can make it up there! And even a standard wicked camper! :)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

78sti

Post by 78sti » Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 am

I did the telegraph track in 1999 in a 84 my wagon.
I even made it up shotgun but it was a pretty seriously modified my.

I would suggest new struts (take old ones as spare) as a minimum and a lift kit, springs and better tyres to do the telegraph track. But expect to loose the front and rear bumpers if you don't have replacement bullbar/ rearbar ext.
You may need to modify air intake for deep water crossings.

My mate (another my wagon) snapped off his bullbar (broke the mounts) on a creek exit on the telegraph track.

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Thu May 26, 2011 6:26 pm

thanks for replies guys ,, outback is standard factory hieght ...will have new tyres on for trip and recovery gear ,,thanks for tyre pressure idea on corragations i normally do that in bush or beach but didnt think of it for corragations ,... just wife and i in car so wont be over loaded (hopefully) ..thanks khanacross

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu May 26, 2011 7:04 pm

If you want call in for a coffee on the way... Always keen to meet subi fans!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 pm

thanks matt appreciate that ,,im in newcastle but my father and a stack of relo's live in townsville so i do know the area ,...and yes i am a subie fan .i own the outback and just sold a brumby with a ej22 in it ,my son also has a series 1 liberty wagon .bro inlaw has a L series ...i really want to go to the cape in the outback ..i dont want a big chunky 4x4 truck ,but do want to experiance the telegragh track if possible ,,,,i am a experienced 4x4 driver having owned my share ,not to mention 20 or so years rally driving ,so believe i have the driver ability to get me through most situations ,,,, my only concerns are deep water crossing and really rough rocky and washed out ground,,,,do i need huge ground clearance ? do i need a huge winch bullbar ? or will a well setup standard outback and a driver with brains over brawn get me there ? thanks khanacross

fisch

Post by fisch » Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 pm

personally i believe the biggest problem u will face will be the deep water crossings nolan brook and lagoon creek are shockers a way around this could be to plan ur trip as late as possible in the dry season so the crossings are as shallow as possible. Your entry and exit angles are also going to be a bit of a issue especially on the first crossing u come to plam creek as its was very steep and as hard as a rock. As for a bullbar i dont think its a must the chances of a animall strike are not great cause most of the traveling u do will be during the day but it would offer a bit of entry protection. A winch is also not totally needed if i was u i would just pack a little 2t puller they cost about 40 bucks at supercheap and will bet u out of trouble but are hard work as they only pull about 3m at a time. the best insurance is another car.

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 am

thanks ,,date for trip is 30may next year ,,how is that weather wise? will be travelling with a 80series cruiser and recovery gear ...

fisch

Post by fisch » Fri May 27, 2011 5:15 pm

to be honest i wouldnt be going in may the roads will be at their worst as in corrogations and the creek crossing will also be quite high you would be sending your car through not running with a snatch strap every crossing otherwise ducie creek would be close to the end of the tele track for you. September or october would be a much wiser option the creeks will be relitivly low pretty much all the roads will have had a grader over them and the fishing is starting to hot up! Thats just my opinion you really want to avoid ever getting towed as a tow to weipa will cost close to $500 per 50km

Return to “Subaru Chat”