Fun with this EA82 motor on my L series

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
RuddyCrazy

Fun with this EA82 motor on my L series

Post by RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Guy's,
I did detail somethings in my first thread in the engine section but I will detail them from now on in this thread.

Basically what happened a good friend of my father apparently fixed the head gasket on the left bank but didn't tighten the timing sprocket and it came off. The motor was running fine when we got it back but when we agreed to loan it to a friend when we started it up I heard the timing pulley come off.

Now after reading a heap of info on the motor I did the re-timing myself but the motor was still running on 2 cylinders. I reckon I must of had the left cam on the wrong position when I re-timed it. I knew the carbi was faulty as Eblems had a written report in the car stating the fuel/air mixture screw was stuffed. Fuel is spitting out the primary on the carbi so I reckon that is the sign I finally found only after a couple of beers.......

It does look like I need to completely redo the timing and that will fix the motor. Anyway sofar I've bought a carbi from the wreckers and fitted it, changed the fuel filter and got another fuel pump and fitted it. Got a new dizzy cap and rotor.

tomorrow i'm going to have go right thru the data I have so I can work out the correct setting for the left bank. but being saturady night and totally frustrated the beers are soothing.......

Cheers Bryan

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:46 am

Two things stuff everyone up .

Firstly you need to use the three close parallel lines etched into the flywheel NOT the ignition timing marks . Use the Middle line at the flywheel housing pointer .
Fit whichever is the inner belt and line up the cam pulley marks .

Secondly . MUST rotate the crankshaft one complete turn in the running direction and line up again on the middle cam timing line . Then fit the second belt and line up the other pulley and mark .

You have to do that one rotation before fitting the second belt because of the 180 deg difference between the opposite banks cam phasing and to turn the cam half a turn means rotating the crank a full turn .

Anyway even if you don't understand this just carefully turn the crankshaft via its crank pulley bolt until the pointer lines up again and fit the outer belt .

Always fit new tensioners .
DON'T overtighten the tensioner bolts , it's VERY easy to strip the threads in the aluminium case and a PITA to fix . I know the correct torque figure doesn't feel like enough but its Subarus engine and they would know best .

A .

RuddyCrazy

Post by RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 pm

G'day Guys,
Well spent most of the day on the subi, took both covers off the timing belts and found the right side was 1-1/2 teeth retarted. Took the belt off the left side and turned the motor one turn then set the pulley to the notch. Started it up and still on bloody 2 cylinders. Took the belt off again and set the pulley slightly retarted and got it running finally on 4 cylinders. took it for a drive around the farm and it went up the hill albeit slowly it didnt konk out on me. Drover back down to put all covers on then that carbi I got from the wreckers started backfiring. Made some new gaskets for the old carbi and put it back on and had it running but as soon a hill came up it bogged down and I wacked it in 4wd low range and got up the hill. Tried again after lunch and more carbi troubles. In the end I decided it can go up to the shed so I can strip the motor to redo the timing but as soon as the car was under load going up the hill the carbi would bog down. So it was rev it up move a metre or two, wack the handbrake on repeat, repeat, repeat. Finally got it up the shed level and next weekend I'm going to strip the front of the motor to redo the timing and get it spot on.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well stripped the covers off the timing AGAIN and took the pulley off the righthand side that had come off and yep I had the pulley offset. (Silly me), anyway the lefthand side turned out be about 1 tooth before the notch so I did the full rev of the flywheel then reset the righthand side. Put everything back together and to my surprised it fired up as soon as I turned the key and sat there idling nicely. Revved it up a few time and it sounded sweet so took it for a run around the farm and man is it running sweet now. Due to the high rainfall my back paddock is easily 3' deep in grass and the subi went thru in 2wd easily both up and down the hills. Took it back to the front of the farm and dropped the clutch to see if the power was back and man am I happy.... Over the second hill and by the house I had it upto 90k's but had to back off on the next hill due to all the rocks.

Next jobbie is to cleanup all the bodgy wiring and get some new indicator lenses as two are broken then I'll have the subi for a work car.

Cheers Bryan

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm

good job buddy.

persistance pays off :)
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

I'd say the other carby is OK too, the backfiring due to timng out :)

Great stuff when they restart with a bit of knowledge :)

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:39 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well got the new rear right indicator lense today from the wreckers then came home and fitted it. Then decided to take the subi into get some fuel as the guage was bery close to empty. Man was I impressed with the power the subi has now compared to months ago when we had it.

Over the last week I've been using the subi for compressing roadbase in the new shed I'm making when all of a sudden it cut out. Turning the ignition on the light on the dash came on ok but try to start it and it was dead. No fuses blown so went in for a caffine then went out and tried it again and it started and no problems since. So any idea's as why it would just cutout on me, not start then start fine 10 minutes later ???? The last thing I need is my son driving it and ringing home saying the cars dead and won't start.

Regards Bryan

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Check the fusible links. They can do funny things when they die or are dyeing...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:09 am

The $100 ignition module in the dizzy also does that sort of thing

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:48 pm

G'day Guy's,
Thanks for the tips guy's, on talking with the missus the ignition module was changed over about 12 months ago and today I got some spare fusible links from the wreckers and put them in the glovebox.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:42 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well this morning the subi wouldn't start so I had to take the filter cover off and stick a screwdriver in the choke to hold it open so it would start. Anyway went upto Murray Bridge to the wreckers and got a new carbi and air filter housing with a brandnew filter in and all the pollution gear. The guy said $20 cash for the lot and I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough..... Anyway changed over the carbi and fitted all the hoses so now the motor has all the original gear on. Now this carbi is slightly different to my old one where the new one has 2 extra ports, one on the rear and another on the front and I got the hoses and unit to fit.

No sooner when the fuel got back into the new carbi the motor fired nicely and was idling a bit low so I increased the idle to 700 rpm. I borrowed a decent timing light and set it 8 deg's below and the new carbi still backfires although less when de-accelerating. I'm wondering if a hole in the exhaust might be the cause???

Anyway went for a spin in Nairne to grab a slab and before when it bogged down going up a hill in 4th gear @60K now it wants to pull away. Came home the long way via the 100K zone and I had to remember I was in a wagon NOT a sedan going around the corners where it said 55K. so just this backfiring problem to sort and this ol' '87 subi wagon will be good as gold again.

Cheers Bryan

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Well Bryan, Yes in my Brumby I had it backfiring or pinging which is basically just lots of little backfires at once. Sure enough a hole in the exhaust. So i went out and bought some muffler putty (exhaust bog) filled it up, and then used half a coke can with a slit along it, and some zip ties to hold it on. Perfect!!! well after the second attampt it was. This is a much simpler and cheaper way than a new exhaust. And it works :).
As I am in Belair, i would quite like to know where this cheap wreckers at murray bridge is. $20 for a carbi and filter is great! By the way, i picked up you go to eblems. So do i, what do you think of their price / workmanship?
Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:07 am

G'day Cam,
The wreckers are called "Bridge Jap and Aussie dismantling" and they are located at 51 Clipsal Road Murray Bridge. I found the easiest way to get there is tke the second turn right onto Old Swanport road when you come off the expressway. Then follow that road to the end then turn left. Clipsal road is on the right about 100 metres before the intersection. Now they only have 2 L series wagons there, one is a '83 with a EA81 motor in and the other off memory is a '85 L series wagon with a EA82 motor in but with a manual choke carbi. Also there is a complete EA82 motor in the shed which is now minus the carbi.

There was a receipt in the car door which was from Eblems and that work was done before we got the car. Any work needing from now on I'll do myself.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:28 am

G'day Guy's,
Well after putting the new carbi on it went well for a couple of months, then it starting using coolant. Now the friggin thing resembles a steam train with the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust. Even with the car stationary the coolant level dropped and this morning I had a good look. No. one cylinder only had 60 psi on a compression test, the oil form the dipstick is milky as and the air filter which was clean as had heap of oily crud in it. I fo suspect when my son drove it he didn't Do as I asked and top up the coolant then cooked the motor. Well as i'm in between jobs and this was supposed to be my work car it does either look like it will be a trade in or I'll be wrecking it. The suspension was fully done by eblems before we got the car and when it was running nice it did seem in good nic. Now just to make matters worse our house has been out for 3 days and telsux said he might get it going again in the next 2 weeks.

Cheers One peeved off soon to be non subi owner..........

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:35 am

Exactly what my brumby did. (just without the smoke and steam) everything else the sam. Its been sitting in the shed ever since. We think its a gasket or welch plug. The oily crud is in the air filter because of the return pipe from the rocker cover / head. When i get it fixed im gonna put a breather on either side.
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

sounds like pure old car syndrome. EA82s are normally super reliable.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 am

The Brumby is an EA81, but still yeah, old engine, just needs some tlc
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi Alex,
When we got the car back and fixed the timing problem the was going sweet as. Then all of a sudden I noticed it was starting to lose coolant and adding coolant over time the motor was still going alright. All of a sudden it was running like s**t so I left it for 2 weeks with the radiator fully topped up. I checked the coolant a week later and it was down. Now when I put the carbi on I just used some sealant so I thought the coolant might of being going into the inlet manifold. I made a new gasket and used some loctite instant gasket aswell. Started the motor and took it for a drive then tried to get back up the hill to my shed. Noway in 2wd did it have any torque but in low range 4wd I was able to get it up the hill.

I was told by my father in law they were sick of working on the motor so I do suspect they didn't re-tension the head bolts so the head gaskets might have gone again. If we do need to get another vehicle it will cost a heap more than just overhauling the motor so some guidance would be helpfull.
Regards Bryan

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:21 pm

welch plugs leak water into the rocker area and can be quite easily checked by filling up coolant, pull rockers off and watch..........

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:56 am

G'day Guy's,
Well got the subi into the nu shed after a heap of fun. got it down the hill ok but all of a sudden it died and would not start. So got the tractor and towed it into the shed. Did a compression test and the results below

Drivers bank (left looking from the front of the engine)

Rear 1000kpa
front 950 kpa

Other bank

rear 1040
front 1090

The coolant was down heaps and had to put about 2 litres in and yea saw a few bubbles so the head gasket has gone AGAIN. Got the car running and there is a heap of steam coming out the exhaust so every symptom is suggesting head gasket. Now as far as oil entering the air filter the car does have a new PCV valve so it really has me buggered as to why oil would bank up there as I am sure all the hoses are correct. The car did go well for about 2 months and was a daily driver.

Now as head on the drivers bank has been the main cause of trouble for so long I am wondering if any members in Adelaide would have a decent EA82 head going cheap.

Regards Bryan

Return to “Subaru Chat”