differences between impreza RX and WRX>

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
__BIG__RICH__

differences between impreza RX and WRX>

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 pm

hey all.. i was wondering if someone could tell differences between and RX and WRX? apart from the performance, like interiors, security etc?

i am buying a 1999 subaru impreza RX next week for my first car, and was wondering if in the long run i should sell it and buy a WRX? or just upgrade the RX performance wise etc?

also wat are some good modifications for the RX in the long run.. thank you

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm

__BIG__RICH__ wrote:hey all.. i was wondering if someone could tell differences between and RX and WRX? apart from the performance, like interiors, security etc?

i am buying a 1999 subaru impreza RX next week for my first car, and was wondering if in the long run i should sell it and buy a WRX? or just upgrade the RX performance wise etc?

also wat are some good modifications for the RX in the long run.. thank you
There might be slight differences depending on what was an optional extra/s like sunroof and leather but other than that there shouldn't be much. Possibly fog lights and little things like that.

Are you getting a sedan or hatch? Manual or auto? 2.0l or 2.5?

You could alway buy a Raptor Supercharger kit for the N/A which is direct bolt on when your off your P's(im guessing your on your P's??). If you don't do any mods then sell it and buy a wrx otherwise if you mod it alot (suspesion, etc...) then keep it and ether swap the motor or supercharge it.

Over here in WA we are allowed any kind of vehicle iwht any power when on P's :cool: Too bad I can't addord a Forester XT!!!

__BIG__RICH__

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:37 pm

the RX has fog lights, engine immobiliser, and things like that aswell, nice interior.. but WRX will still have more features... its a sedan 2.0l, manual.. im getting it for 5 grand.. and yeh i should be off my p's next year sometime.

i would love to have a WRX but if i mod this one then i think i'll keep it..

oh nice.. yeh here in QLD we got so many damn restrictions for p's. haha

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:59 pm

If you want more performance you may be better off selling and buying a WRX after your off your P's, as any decent performance kits that will get you anywhere near WRX power are the like of a raptor kit that costs upwards of 5.5grand.

WRX have slightly improved interior cosmetics (diff stering wheel i think?, pedals some other small changes i believe). The rex has fairly significant improvement in the looks department though.

If you are like us other young guys you will deffinately want more power either way.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Davidov wrote:If you are like us other young guys you will deffinately want more power either way.
Very true, I have the same 2.0l engine that would be in the RX and for a 2.0l its great and does everything I ask of it..... but when I added bigger tyres and the likes for offroading and it being such a small engine then power is really an issue. At one point my 0-100 was around 19 seconds when the engine was running like crap. lol

__BIG__RICH__

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:16 pm

im hoping that my RX keeps in good condition for a couple of years, 4 or 5 at the max, during that time i'll do slight upgrades to it, performance wise and body wise..

i dont want to spend 5 grand on a decent performance kit, i could put that money towards a WRX, so then after approx 5 years i'll have more than enough money for a newish WRX in good condition..

but then again if i do spend too much money on my RX i might just keep it..

right now a WRX is like the car i really want, but one that i cant have, so im quite contempt settling on a RX for now

__BIG__RICH__

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

yeh im not suprised that the performance was downgraded, my brother did that to his one and it basically ruined the suspension etc

__BIG__RICH__

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:29 pm

taza wrote:Very true, I have the same 2.0l engine that would be in the RX and for a 2.0l its great and does everything I ask of it..... but when I added bigger tyres and the likes for offroading and it being such a small engine then power is really an issue. At one point my 0-100 was around 19 seconds when the engine was running like crap. lol
yeh im not suprised that the perfomance was downgraded, my mate did the same thing and it screwed his car up pretty bad, suspension, body, speed and comfort.. lol

__BIG__RICH__

Post by __BIG__RICH__ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:21 pm

i also read that u can fit WRX parts and motors etc into the rx

is that true?

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

If you were really keen you could stick an EJ25 into the RX and make it a real one .
As far as I know all the suspension and brakes fit MY for MY .
It may be possible to buy a clean Rex with a blown engine and fit an EJ25 to that .
I know everyone likes the thrill and the addictive torque shove from an engine climing into boost but ultimately more cubic inches , 25% is a significant increase , makes for very usable road car friendly power .
To do the whole turbo engine thing properly means to do certain areas better than Subaru did at least with a GC8 . The best available factory bits means going the whole twin scroll and ball bearing route and the multi throttle inlet system .
Any idiot can throw a bigger exhaust and hair dryer on and turn the boost up but the power range will go upwards and the usfullness of this power is limited in a road car . Competition cars are a very different thing because they driven flat out much of the time meaning lots of revs and wide open throttle use . Road cars spend 97% of their time at varying degrees of part throttle and they have to be able to make good part throttle torque to be good general use performers .
It is wearing to have to chase extra revs to find boost and performance and anyone thats driven a late GC8 STi can tell you what boringly obvious turbo lag or rather torque lag is .
Applied properly an EJ25 with all the best factory smarts would probably do most of what a non STi GC8 can with no turbo lag and the sort of low down torque that EJ20 turbo engines can only dream about .
No up pipe/down pipe/inlet plumbing/intercooler - and no need for the drain pipe exhaust and Rex signature boxer brap noises .

Your call but I know what I'd do .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Jonno got a little confused looking at an Impreza RX '97 the other day and saw drum brake rear - discs optional on an Impreza RX or a bit of BADge engineering going on?

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 pm

If your on you P's insurance will be a b!tch for the wrx.
the rx should be similar power ~~~.
And yeah mods from the wrx and STi should fit.
Go the rx, and mod it if you want.
Personally I wouldn't bother with anything but a wrx or STi.
But your on your P's etc etc.
My 2c, good luck!

Cheers Cam.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 am

The only difference outside is the bonnet and badges, inside the seats, door trims & gauges, underneath engine, box, diff, wheels brakes but everything will swap in without even drilling a hole, I fitted a complete 97 WRX STI running set up into my 98 Liberty with no modifications to the body whatsoever, everything just bolted straight in......Subaru's are that closely built underneath it's amazing when you consider the differences in body's, a 89 Legacy/RS is virtually identical to a MY00 STI panel wise under the bonnet and every hole and captive nut is in the same place, even the later WRX's up to MY08 will swap without any mods but at the end of the day you can get a decent WRX for $7,000 these days so the conversion is pointless unless you are in love with the car and want to spend way more than it's worth.

Forget about superchargers and other expensive crap, just some bigger sway bars and a straight through sports muffler on, maybe some WRX wheels and it'll handle like/better than a WRX then flog it when you are off the P's.

Cheap aftermarket wheels will kill it because they weigh a tonne and will slow you down and destroy your economy so DON'T put them on. Extra un-sprung weight is a killer.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

An RX is the non-turbo version of the WRX, so from the outside the RX doesn't have the Bonnet Scoop or Twin Exhaust Muffler. Underneath the skin it's a completely different car. The WRX has a turbo charged engine, stronger gearbox, larger CV shafts, larger exaust system, bigger brake system and many more things. Interior is also completely different.

IMO buy a RX for now and then when you want a WRX, sell the RX and buy a WRX.. you'll find it a lot cheaper in the end.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm

You could always buy a cheap L Series or early Lib just to get around in for your first 12 months . No offense but first cars often get bumps and bruises in this period and itd be a shame to "customise" the corners of something nice as you feel you way around .
The easiest way to a WRX if you want one later is to buy one because I doubt you could turn an RX into one cheaper .

A .

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 pm

What does the RX stand for? How bout the W?

Interesting how bits just swap in...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 am

WRX is a world wide model of the Impreza, it stands for World Rally eXperiment.

The RX was just Subaru Australia's way of supplying the WRX look without the hassles/extra costs to new owners.

In the later models the RX and RS badges (worldwide) meant the Impreza came with the non turbo EJ25, where the base (GX) models came with the non turbo EJ20
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”