Advice - Subaru for some sand work

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm thinking about getting a 2L Foz. Hey Tazza when you say load it up, what sort of weights make it gutless? a full car load of say 5 people? a trailer load of sand? How many K's would you get from a tank in a 2L Foz?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am

LIFTED wrote:I'm thinking about getting a 2L Foz. Hey Tazza when you say load it up, what sort of weights make it gutless? a full car load of say 5 people? a trailer load of sand? How many K's would you get from a tank in a 2L Foz?
in my foz the same as taza without out bigger tires. i will get 450-600ks to a tank. i very rarely use over 10l per 100km unless when four wheel driving usually use about 11l per 100km. so good on fuel in my point of view.
loaded up for me is the car full of camping gear + a passenger + a trailer full of more camping gear and 1 or 2 motorbikes. the car is then gutless, BUT is still driveable. i once had to drive in low range when i was in the high country because i was fully loaded and high range was a no go.
the car with 5 people you will notice a difference in performance but nothing that you cant live with.
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

LIFTED wrote:I'm thinking about getting a 2L Foz. Hey Tazza when you say load it up, what sort of weights make it gutless? a full car load of say 5 people? a trailer load of sand? How many K's would you get from a tank in a 2L Foz?
Well you notice a difference when 5 people are in the car just general driving around the city with hills and the likes. Just making more gear changes but thats no big deal.
With the car loaded upto the roof from the boot to the front seat with gear(say moving house so all kinds of stuff) its quite sluggish and/or when towing a trailer too with something in it.

Otherwise its good for a 2.0l

Driving around Perth I drive the car hard and foot flat most of the time and get 450-550km in city driving.

I also went upto Kalbarri for Easter and on the way up averaged just under 9l per 100km. On that trip up I have to overtake 25-30 cars in total. Some of which were bunched up with trailer in a rows of 4 or 5 meaning I had to overtake the 5 at once. I just drop back to 4th while doing 80-90km/hr and plant it till she hits 140km/hr through it in 5th, and by then im usually past them all.
So not real powerful but economical. It does the job though :)
thunder039 wrote:in my foz the same as taza without out bigger tires. i will get 450-600ks to a tank. i very rarely use over 10l per 100km unless when four wheel driving usually use about 11l per 100km. so good on fuel in my point of view.
loaded up for me is the car full of camping gear + a passenger + a trailer full of more camping gear and 1 or 2 motorbikes. the car is then gutless, BUT is still driveable. i once had to drive in low range when i was in the high country because i was fully loaded and high range was a no go.
the car with 5 people you will notice a difference in performance but nothing that you cant live with.

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:32 am

taza wrote:
Driving around Perth I drive the car hard and foot flat most of the time and get 450-550km in city driving.
Wow that's good in my 2.2 lib I only get from 370 to 400 around Perth and that's for 44 litres.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am

LIFTED wrote:Wow that's good in my 2.2 lib I only get from 370 to 400 around Perth and that's for 44 litres.
Excellent! Someone here quotes litres as well as km's. "A tank" is not accurate at all!

My subi has a 60L tank, so to say that I get 400km around town driving to "a tank" sounds good, but reality has it that's not good at all!

Something to keep in mind everyone when quoting Km's driving the fuel slurped by car...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:56 am

My 2.5 outback usually gets about 450-500km from ~48 L in the city. Surprisingly on the highway its very similar. Maybe 50km more.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Excellent! Someone here quotes litres as well as km's. "A tank" is not accurate at all!

My subi has a 60L tank, so to say that I get 400km around town driving to "a tank" sounds good, but reality has it that's not good at all!

Something to keep in mind everyone when quoting Km's driving the fuel slurped by car...

Cheers

Bennie
i usually calculate my fuel into liters per 100km.
i dont drive flat footed like taza and from about 35l i will get 400km this is going from home to uni every day.
driving on the freeway i will get 27l to 350k so as already said doesnt flucuate that much
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:00 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Excellent! Someone here quotes litres as well as km's. "A tank" is not accurate at all!

Cheers

Bennie
I fill up as soon as the needle points to the empty line and its always between 43 and 45 litres.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 pm

LIFTED wrote:I fill up as soon as the needle points to the empty line and its always between 43 and 45 litres.
Thats about right for a 60l tank, my foz is the same and I usually drive 60-70km with the light on then fuel up about ~52L.

akpv

Post by akpv » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Alex wrote:i could potentially have my gen3 outback for sale soon it already has 2inch lifted suspension ontop of the normal outback height. It goes really really well in the sand, its capability blew me away actually.

itll be pretty cheap and is a good car (has a little bit of hail damage)

alex

Got any more info / pics mate?

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 pm

^ Sounds like Alex's Ob could be a good buy :D

If you get that or when you get one you will have to come on a trip out to Two Rocks with us!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 pm

akpv wrote:Got any more info / pics mate?
I'll get some up on the weekend mate.

Background info, it's a gen3 auto Ej25 outback, green two tone with a gold base, raised king springs, 209k km, DVD stereo, runs really well and is a really good car

Bad bits are that it has a little bit of hail damage and a trolley ran into the back of it and it has smallish hole in the rear tail light. The price reflects the bad bits though and I'm negotiable on the price.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

akpv

Post by akpv » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:45 am

I live in freo and work in canning vale so pretty sure you are roughly on the way home. Any way I can have a look tomorrow sometime after 4pm or Saturday?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:08 am

I'll send you a pm soon mate.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

akpv

Post by akpv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Bought a 2000 foz. Alex's Outback would have been a nicer car but was after a manual and the economy of the 2L is a bonus.

Lift wise, thinking of either 2" strut lift or 1" each of struts and springs. Any input?

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm

akpv wrote:Bought a 2000 foz. Alex's Outback would have been a nicer car but was after a manual and the economy of the 2L is a bonus.

Lift wise, thinking of either 2" strut lift or 1" each of struts and springs. Any input?
Either is good. Being 12years old i would say 1" lift blocks from Subtle Solutions and new springs allround like I did. You will need/want new rear struts/shocks too.

I did all mine and paid for it to be done for $1000 here in Perth. Crossbred performance does 2" blocks too for about 450 plus postage.

What colour is your foz? Is it stock? Many km?

akpv

Post by akpv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Why do you suggest just new rear shocks? Self leveling suspension? It doesn't have the self levelers :)

Its white and pretty stock. 200 hundred thou.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

akpv wrote:Why do you suggest just new rear shocks? Self leveling suspension? It doesn't have the self levelers :)

Its white and pretty stock. 200 hundred thou.
If you go new springs which would be heavy duty the rears when you add load to the car may not be upto the task and will likely bent, collapse or fail in a number of ways as proven y many people. The last thing you want is to be out offroad somewhere and have this happen.

It actually happened to my mate Davidov on the weekend to his Outback but luckily we had another car and were able to get it out of the dunes and too the road. Although this were new struts but thats a different story,

Mine before my new springs and lift collapsed. You can't have lifted springs with self levers as they try and go to stock height and top out.

Cool, sounds like a good buy! Got any pics? Stock is good as it means it hasn't or most likely hasn't been abused!

akpv

Post by akpv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Sorry, I don't follow. The struts fail how?

No pics yet.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

akpv wrote:Sorry, I don't follow. The struts fail how?

No pics yet.

Its hard to explain but they can physically bent or snap. The spring perch can break. The shock part itself can fail causing no dampening at all and the spring having to absorb all the weight.

My shock failed making the ride sh*t house, especially over speed humps and the springs weren't upto the task of carrying heavy'ish loads on trips every now. This ment they sagged about 2" from stock height with nothing in the car.
This caused my rear bumper to catch offroad and crack, break, buckle and almost rip it off a number of times.

You really don't want one to bend or for the spring perch to break while offroad as thats worse than the shock failing. It may or will likely make the car undriveable.

Is that abit more clearer?

Return to “Subaru Chat”