Advice - Subaru for some sand work

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 pm

as long as the rear shock is still functional it will be fine, although if your replacing the springs, while your there and IF you can afford it you should replace struts also
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

thunder039 wrote:as long as the rear shock is still functional it will be fine, although if your replacing the springs, while your there and IF you can afford it you should replace struts also
I would say 100% do them but thats me. I'd rather not be strandard somewhere if I knew an extra $200 could of prevented it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:21 pm

taza wrote:Its hard to explain but they can physically bent or snap. The spring perch can break. The shock part itself can fail causing no dampening at all and the spring having to absorb all the weight.
I don't know about snapping. Bending yes, but that's pretty extreme - you've got to have the vehicle loaded up and doing something wrong pretty much. Spring perches break from either overloading the vehicle or the shock shagging out and allowing the spring to fully compress leaving the spring pearch/hat to take the brunt of the remaining force.
taza wrote:You really don't want one to bend or for the spring perch to break while offroad as thats worse than the shock failing. It may or will likely make the car undriveable.
This can happen at any point in time when offroading. Fresh struts might prolong the event in which this occurs. Carrying spares that you can use is always the key here.
thunder039 wrote:as long as the rear shock is still functional it will be fine, although if your replacing the springs, while your there and IF you can afford it you should replace struts also
It is generally done as a "best practise" and saves you from doing it twice if/when an older strut dies. The heavier springs will work the struts harder - really a set that's beefier should be installed but no one makes them. They will do the job though...

If the struts are ok and you're fine with running them, leave them as is, then save for a new set for when needed ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 pm

I'm just running standard struts in mine and they have been fine so far, I don't even know which Foz they came out of but my ride is great, pretty much as Subaru made a WRX to be honest, if you're going to carry all your possessions with you then I'd suggest an upgrade but if you can throw the springs in yourself which is pretty easy you'll save a fair bit for now.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:50 am

i didnt replace mine, couldnt afford the extra few hundered $$ and they are still fine the only issue i had was when i bent my front strut, but that was a hard hit
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

akpv

Post by akpv » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Just back from a 5 day trip down to Esperance and surrounds. New car went well, a bit of a rattle from the P/S header heat shield which I will need to sort out but handled the sand like a dream. Got stuck once before letting the tyres down on the way out to skippy point, once the tyres were down she floated over it all beautifully. Looking forward to a lift kit, sump guard and 12V compressor (the bike pump was a bit of a workout in the sun :roll: )

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Bike pump!!! That would have been a work out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

akpv

Post by akpv » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 pm

It was a work out but nothing too crazy, I have a pretty good track pump. Was about 2 minutes per tyre from 15 - 36 psi with a bit of a break between each one.

Return to “Subaru Chat”