Mt Cole 4WDing

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Tweety
General Member

Mt Cole 4WDing

Post by Tweety » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 pm

What a great time at Mt Cole with El Freddo and the group of 4Wd enthusiasts to Mt Cole, a state park near Ararat.

Tweety towed its Guppy van all the way via the ring road. Throughout the trip I was wondering why I wanted a supercharger partially for this purpose. It towed it so well. 110kph wasnt a problem, stable and easily. f course the extra power will come in handy on hills but I was impressed.

I arrived at Mt Cole to a welcoming party that comprised of 2 range rovers, 3 Subarus and a Rav 4. I joined camp which included a hut then went 4WDing al0ong various bush tracks.

Bennie had his "L" series Subaru with 3 inch lift kit, the car was recently stripped to weld up all the cracks in the body as we've seen. I was impressed with its ability to drive over the bumpy stuff.

Greg had a Subaru Forester with the H6 3 litre engine and MANUAL trans!!!. Impressive it is. Heaps of power and ability (and shiny).

The Rangies were great too.

The others tented it and I had the Guppy. For me its a delight being so comfortable and not having to dry everything out in the morning. But what I did need to dry was the distributer cap. even though I'd installed a large "O" ring under the cap, a subaru accessory, it was really wet with condensation in the morning. the uys had some wD40 and away we went. A short ride for all the guys and the grin on their faces said it all.

On the way home I took this pic near Elmhurst of a 1860 gold miners hut. Then at Maldon soem vintage cars and vans.

The only problem I endured was a white wall "flapper" came loose.

Oh yeh, and at Maldon I found these vintage rigs in a side street-

Thankyou to all. I enjoyed it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks,
what a great couple Tweety and Guppy make:D
Hey with the tank you woul'n't think it needed an extension mirror to see around the the van :eek:
thanks for the pics
Hylton:evil::twisted:

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks olddog

The tank is in the chassis- 50litres. The electrics are in the dummy tank.

And I dont have mirrors....a rear vision camera from 4K in the UK. it also has a camera at the rear of Guppy so at the touch of a button can see behind the van. cool eh!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Tweety wrote:Thanks olddog

The tank is in the chassis- 50litres. The electrics are in the dummy tank.

And I dont have mirrors....a rear vision camera from 4K in the UK. it also has a camera at the rear of Guppy so at the touch of a button can see behind the van. cool eh!
I meant the Yank Tank not sure but is it an Oldsmobile I don't think it was a Pontiac Laurentian but it was sure in great condition what ever it is.
Hylton;)

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:14 pm

oh right. A parisenne I believe. nice car. Always did like them more than the Belair.

I liked the EJ/EH

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:26 am

Good times Tweety!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Somehow I cant post in the thread for Victoria Mt Cole report. doesnt let me.

I really enjoyed my time with the club's 4Wd group. It proves that you dont need a 4Wd vehicle to enjoy 4WDing and great company.

Those that have only 2 wheel drive would get to the campsite as easy as I did. Bennie offered to tow my Guppy van to Mugwamp but it wasnt needed.

I'd encourage all to try and get to these events. You meet great people, some set in their ways :cool: some not. Even the rain added to the atmosphere!

Now back to the supercharger.....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Tweety wrote:Somehow I cant post in the thread for Victoria Mt Cole report. doesnt let me.
You'll need to donate $2 to the forum in one of the new member's sticky threads - paypal is the best way to do it as it's usually instant ;) Here's the link

Once that's done you'll have full access!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Tweety wrote: I'd encourage all to try and get to these events. You meet great people, some set in their ways :cool: some not. Even the rain added to the atmosphere!

Now back to the supercharger.....

I'm looking forward to going on a few of these trips once my car is restored (could be a fair way off though :rolleyes:) And maybe touring a bit of Australia as well, once my apprenticeship is finished...ahh dreams :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Drams eh silverbullet?

Let me mention a thing about dreams

My ex partner told me I wouldnt be getting a trike. I left and started saving. Tweety took 8 months to be made. In the meantime I worked 7 days a week and up to 16 hours a day. I picked him up and paid cash. I was lucky, I had a job that I could do that with.

Now 4 years on and a new wife that loves tweety like I do. Deb will get her M/C license so she can shared the riding with me in winter 2014 for our round australia trip.

The moral of the story is: never allow anyone to throw water on your dreams if you work hard enough and long enough to deserve them.

Ironically my ex smoked like a chimney. In the 10 years we were together we could have paid cash for my tweety. She had her dreasm but they went up in smoke !!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 am

Tweety wrote: Let me mention a thing about dreams
Got off lightly on that one Silverbullet! I'm sure Tweety could tell a lot more than he did above! Tip of the ice berg I'm sure!!

:p

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Haha definitely :o Nice story Tweety, seems you have many stories to tell. If I worked 16 hours a day 7 days a week though I'd be a zombie, although I might earn minimum wage then :roll:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Subaru Chat”