is liberty really better than l series 4wd

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
l series mad

is liberty really better than l series 4wd

Post by l series mad » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 am

what r the pros an cons of subaru liberty an l series weather it be street driven or off road ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:01 pm

That's a pretty broad question for usage!

I quite enjoy driving my mate's '95 liberty, bog standard, drives like it's on rails and is very well balanced to drive on the blacktop.

But I still love the shape of the L series! The liberty is more comfortable from the factory as the L series seats are shite at the best.

Offroad the liberty has poor approach and departure angles, but is easily lifted with a lift kit and factory suspension struts from the likes of the outback. The L series low range can be fitted without too much trouble, and it's got the EJ from the factory.

The L series has the 4wd gearbox, this can be a better setup off road over the liberty's centre LSD. Not all the time though. But the L's let down (to me) is no AWD.

There's more to it than this but it should be a good start to the conversation.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 pm

cant beat AWD for on road dynamics, as bennie said the AWD is much better on road then the part time systems, acceleration and cornering are much better with AWD then the l series part time system

offroad, well i've only driven the brumby part time system not the l series (very similar) and i would say the AWD actually works better. no need to keep taking in and out of 4wd and not a chance of getting into a pickle left in 2wd. the AWD is also much more fun offroad then the part time 4wd system, handles the corners and mud like a rally car 8-)

i vote that the AWD sysetm is better then the part time systems.

NOTE this is a manual vs manual comparison
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:34 pm

horses for courses really...
thunder039 wrote: offroad, well i've only driven the brumby part time system not the l series (very similar) and i would say the AWD actually works better. no need to keep taking in and out of 4wd and not a chance of getting into a pickle left in 2wd. the AWD is also much more fun offroad then the part time 4wd system, handles the corners and mud like a rally car 8-)
why do you have to keep taking it in and out of 4wd? as soon as you hit the gravel put it in 4wd and leave it! ;) and as for fun off road, i would challenge that (well at least in an ej'd l series :D ). there is no reason you cant 'rally drive' an l series or brumby in 4wd.

i think the lack of a good low range is a major disadvantage in a lib, but other people seem to think otherwise. probably depends what and to what extreme you use it for. (compared to a forri LR i haven't seen any usable difference to the l series) and as Bennie said, there is the height thing...

i think the biggest thing is the centre diff in a liberty (i dont think the autos are such a big issue). the offroading i have done with forris and libs i have driven through in the l series when they are stuck, but yet to see it happen the other way around. (thats just my opinion from what i have seen, happy to be proven wrong)

the libs are undoubtably more comfortable, better handling and faster.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:56 pm

MTB92 wrote:the libs are undoubtably more comfortable, better handling and faster.
And they have better brakes, better stud pattern that then opens the door to better brake upgrades as well as a better factory AND aftermarket rim selection.

But again, I still love the challenge of modifying an L series! (and driving it offroad)

Another thing I love about the L series is the size of it, not small, not medium, it's in between which has it's advantages when offroad and it's challenges when touring...

If it had to be a liberty I'd be going for an RS turbo (streeter) or a Gen2 - both in the wagon rather than sedan and in anything than white! Unless the RS was in mint condition.

Good times!

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 pm

El_Freddo wrote:as well as a better factory AND aftermarket rim selection.
Scorpions. :cool: :twisted:

agree with everything else, but still wouldn't have a lib over the l series my self...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:50 pm

MTB92 wrote:Scorpions. :cool: :twisted:
Well, this is true, Scorpion rims are not available for the liberty...

I love my L offroad, on road with an EJ and fresh suspension they're great too.

AWD is awesome on the black top. My next L will have AWD - and will probably be an on-roader...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”