Would you like a National Subaru 4wd Club

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...

Would you like a national Subaru 4wd club

Poll ended at Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:04 pm

No
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 20

yarney
General Member

Would you like a National Subaru 4wd Club

Post by yarney » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Bantum asked to put this poll up.
The question is would you like to have a national Subaru 4wd club
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm

If it isnt broken, dont fix it.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm

how would you ever be as organised in all states as you are in one?
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm

rtcb65 wrote:If it isnt broken, dont fix it.
I didn't think there was anything to break to begin with...

Personally I don't know how this would work as I've never been a part of a club. But if it is possible and we have the numbers I'd be keen to see something like this happen. The trick will be to have every state being active with trips etc and keep the politics to a minimum - I've heard this can make a good club bad in a very short time :???:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Your right Bennie,
Politics wrecks ANY form of club (or government)
But you still need leaders
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Bantum
General Member

More details ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks Yarney,

I haven't done a poll before - NFI how to do it ... :)

Some clarification for those who are unsure about the proposed AUSubaru Club ...

Basic idea behind a national body is to put some sort of legal standing behind it & the smaller groups /clubs that may want to join / merge in the future, who due to their size / location are not able to run events, or even get enough interested members for participation. By going to a national model in theory, it would allow an Event / Tour etc, to be covered by insurance + have a larger member base & not be as restricted by your location.

I'm not proposing to do anything with what already exists at this time, however I more see it as something that could potentially be an extension of this site. Exact details of implementation, its operation & how too's etc, are all factors yet to be considered - Although we're open to sensible suggestions, most probably to be discussed later, after end of poll.

I await the results of poll ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 am

The one thing i have learnt as part of this forum and it goes for life itself . People come up with ideas and people like the ideas. But when it comes to making the idea into reality , thats a different thing altogether.

Who is going to jump up out of the people that have said yes, to become part of the running body of this. You know , the paper side of it and all the late nights, the complaining people ( where's my club shirt/sticker/members card Etc.) .

With being around for almost 50 years, people wont give up there time to do anything , unless it is to benefit them in some way, except for a very small few. So who out of the yes voters are going to put there hand up for the running side of this.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 am

has anyone been on a club trip before? (i know the QLD guys are fairly active)

seeing the subaru 4x4 club of WA has changed any thoughts i previously had about clubs. Its basically a bunch of grandpas in un-modified foresters who go around cruising gravel roads.

The cool thing about ausubaru as it stands is it isnt a club and the trips are more of a get-together of mates. This elimates the need for excessive club insurances and other admin fees etc.

Clubs turn into a nightmare if anything goes wrong on the tracks, theres a whole bunch of accountabilty issues and it sees the club and their trips go downhill very quickly.

just my thoughts.

alex

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah to make it 'safe' (ie; no-one c an get sued etc) then the club has to be incorporated and that costs money and has overheads that go with.

I'd say just keep it informal as it already is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

I agree with what is being said. I was involved in a trail bike club for years, even at a committee level. One thing I learnt is you can't please everyone with these things. Also the statements about legal issues are very true too. It became a real headache & I walked away in the end.
Keep it simple is my motto with these things. With a club will come rules & there the trouble begins." So and so did a skid in front of Jo Blo in the bush, he's giving the club a bad name".Just my thought & experiences.

Cheers Jake

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm

I wasn't going to comment, seeing as i am probably not in the most active users, but i think Alex is on the money. If you want a national club, i think its best to keep it away from ausubaru.
insurance i imagine would be the killer. for every trip organised on here you would need to have insurance sorted in case something happened. that means lots of paperwork, time and money.

as it is, we have the freedom to just go whenever we want with who ever else on the forum, and i think it would be a shame to lose this.
also, because of insurance and the fact we are all in subarus, to keep insurance happy i think you would have to be driving known low difficulty tracks. there would be no driving in areas that were not explicitly legal (we have issues in mountain biking with riding on trails that are not sanctioned by the government, but thats another story).

I dont mean to be a downer on it, but i dont think there is much benefit at all for a lot of work. and as it is i think we are just about everything good about a club anyway :)

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 am

I don't see the point. What would members get out of it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:I agree with what is being said. I was involved in a trail bike club for years, even at a committee level. One thing I learnt is you can't please everyone with these things. Also the statements about legal issues are very true too. It became a real headache & I walked away in the end.
Keep it simple is my motto with these things. With a club will come rules & there the trouble begins." So and so did a skid in front of Jo Blo in the bush, he's giving the club a bad name".Just my thought & experiences.

Cheers Jake
The legal & safety aspects would tie the Club up in knots for sure, I would also expect Liability Insurance to be prohibitive.

Another thing with Clubs is as somebody has already pointed out, who will throw their hat in the ring come election time at the AGM, also don't expect a lot of Members to be there either as they don't want to be part of the Committee but want all the benefits the Club has to offer.
In the Torrent world they are known as Leeches and rightly so.

Would Members also like to be affiliated with another Club or not and that in itself may present another headache, I don't know, I'm just trowing points out there to be considered and debated.

Here is a list I Googled of Aust. Car Clubs:

If the National Subaru Club was seen to be a possibility maybe we could contact the Committee of one of the above for some insight and guidance on getting started, just a thought.

Enough from me for now. :grin:
Peter

Return to “Subaru Chat”