Buying a H6 - advice on a couple of issues

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
benster

Buying a H6 - advice on a couple of issues

Post by benster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi All,

Been ages since I was last here. I use to own an L-Series a few years ago but ended up having to sell it when I was waiting for an operation.

Anyway, I'm getting back into a Subaru.

I'm looking at an 2001 H6. It has some damage to the taligate trim around the reverse light and logo, LHR tail light and both side mirrors that was the result of some youths who took to a bunch of cars in the street. Owner has police report.
Anyone able to help me with a good place to get replacements? Happy to get them shipped (ACT). Will start looking at wreckers but would love some advise on a fair price if anyone has experience. I'm assuming these are pretty much the same as the Liberty wagon?

Also wanted to know if there is anything on this model that I should look for in particular before I hand over my money. Looks like a well looked after car apart from the above damage. A couple minor knocks and bruises but still better than most cars at this age.

Thanks in advance... and its good to see the forum still going :).

H-top

Post by H-top » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Just make sure there is enough space for a turbo :D
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 pm

If the car is green I have almost every panel plus a mint rear seat if it is a bit shabby :P.

Look for head gasket/overheating issues. And as usual have a good look through the service book make sure it is up to date.

benster

Post by benster » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

The parts I need aren't colour coded... just need the garnish for the tailgate and the left hand tail light. A driver side mirror might be a good idea too.

PM what you'd want for them and and maybe an estimate for postage and I'll get in touch when I've got the car. Putting deposit on tonight.

I can't see any signs of seepage from the head gasket... going to take a look at the water and oil tonight to be sure. Underneath the car, theres no oil, crud or water leaks and no signs of previous or long term leaking/rusting. Still has the cover over the engine though, but looks clean and tidy.

Servicing was done regularly up to 88,000 by Subaru and then a family mechanic friend (from subaru) serviced it from there on out (seems legitimate though). Car started life as a company car for their business and then moved on to a second car from there. Now selling due to not driving it since he has been living in the UK for most of the last 5 years. So its basically been a fairly low mileage (192,000) family car for most of its life.

Appreciate the replies! :)

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Depends on which mold you have for the mirror. There are two for the gen 3 out back (a smaller rounded one and a bigger squarer one)

Will have to check which tail light I have also, only have one haha.

Prefer to hold onto the garnish as they are probably the most common thing to go on the gen 3 era wagons!

Sounds like a good buy. I bough my one with 288000kms on it and it was mechanically pretty good apart from a slight head gasket issue.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm not sure which H6 has the timing chain but make sure if yours has a timing belt its been done. Remember t-belt service intervals are for age as well as kms. I think 125,000km/5yrs for the H6 belt but not sure. Make sure you check as its a vital part & mega expensive if it goes...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 am

EZ30 has a chain. Only the EG33 from the SVX had a belt so you needn't worry about it
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

benster

Post by benster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 am

Cool... had me worried a bit there. Was sure it was a chain after all my research. :)

We've put a deposit down... pick up the car on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

I've also gotten a quote for the parts I need. For 2 mirrors ($120), tailgate garnish ($150) and tail light ($80) its going to cost me $350 total here in Canberra. Pretty happy with that. Thought sourcing the garnish was going to cause me a few issues but first place I called has everything.

I'll have to inspect the mirrors more when I get the car. Supposedly when the mirror was kicked it broke the cast bracket and pin leaving the mirror hanging by the wires. I've never taken one apart before on a subi but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:29 am

All Subaru engines can suffer if the oil changes are left too long. So even if they've all been done, i'd be making sure they didn't do too many KM's after it was due.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 am

Check the serpentine belt tensioner and idler bearings
seen a couple of those let go

excellent score with the tailgate garnish
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 pm

FROG wrote:Check the serpentine belt tensioner and idler bearings
seen a couple of those let go
If the engine makes noise... Check these first, or just rip them off and replace the bearings as a precaution even

The only issues ive had with mine are these pulleys and the driveshaft carking it.. Other than that its been amazing

benster

Post by benster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:07 pm

I take it they whine - especially at low revs?

It didn't make any noises at all when I test drove it but I'll take the cover off the engine and make a good inspection when I get it tomorrow.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm

+1 for the belt bearings, replaced some on my car because they where making funny noises. Easy fix.

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 am

Yeah they whine, the last one that went on mine i mistook as the power steering pump dieing.. Theres videos on youtube if you wanted to know what it sounds like.

Awesome engines, i had mine keeping up with my mates stock bombadore super6... Until he went and upgraded his charger.

benster

Post by benster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Got the H6 this afternoon. LOVE it. Its a nice drive and I'm loving the Sunroof and Moonroof as I've never had them in a car before... well, at least not working ones ;)

I've got some work to do, but most of it cosmetic. Supposedly the breaks were done recently but I hear the distinct sound of metal tags running against the discs. Will have to have a look at them in a couple of days to be sure. The harder I press the breaks, the louder they are.

If the sound of that whine from the bearings sounds like this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGH_MpwxI9M
Then I'm all good. Nothing like that in mine at all. I do hear a little whine but I'm pretty sure thats a normal sound.

Will post pics when I get a chance tomorrow. All the good and bad. And thanks all for the advice and the interest.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 am

that link goes straight to google now - subaru.pistonaddicts.com

benster

Post by benster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 am

Man, thats a distant memory. :)

I need to get rid of my sig lol

benster

Post by benster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 am

Here are some dodgy phone photos of the car.

Apart from that the only other issue is a small tear in the leather on the drivers side door handle. Will be buying a leather repair kit to fix both the seat and the handle.

I've bought all the parts to replace the broken stuff around the car today. Currently painting up some mirrors to match at the moment. They're from a 2.5 so they're smaller, but they'll do the job.

benster

Post by benster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, got all the parts done and the mirrors painted up. Need to get some wax on them to shine them up with the rest of the car.

Took it down the road for a sunset shot now she's all cleaned up. Very happy.

Does anyone know if there's a paint code that matches the bumper? The other side has some bad patchwork paint and some gouges that need fixing, looks like someone scraped a concrete wall or something. Would like to fill and paint them up. Or should I just pick a colour? ;)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice looking beast. I have the pearl white (colour coded) and would love to paint the bumpers 2 tone.. looks more "Outback" to me :)

As for the colour code, it's code matches the main/top colour, as these plastic bolt-on bits were all sold by Subaru pre-painted. I would just pop down to your local paint supplier and have it colour matched.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”