Outback Diesel - Harsh Throttle with A/C on.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Scoobie10

Outback Diesel - Harsh Throttle Operation with A/C on.

Post by Scoobie10 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 Diesel Outback with a issue that has bothered me since new.

When driving the vehicle with the air conditioner turned on, easing on and / or off the throttle is very harsh. Low speeds in car parks or slowly moving traffic etc in 1st or 2nd gear almost makes the vehicle "kangaroo". As you go up the gears the issue is still there but isn't as bad.

Turn the air conditioner off and it immediately drives fine / smoothly.

Local Subaru service centre keeps changing their responses from it is normal and part of the diesel configuration to they haven't heard of it to they cannot get the vehicle to reproduce the issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so had any success in resolving it? Or is it a normal part of the Diesel?

Warranty runs out in a few months and if it is an issue then I want it resolved before then.

Thanks in advance :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 am

The way I see it is - you need to hang about at the servce desk and demonstrate the condition to their service manager and maybe a mechanic as well. If it is normal get them to find similar car to demonstrate to you !

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:30 am

sounds similar to the issues experienced in this thread showthread.php?t=23094&highlight=jerking
so maybe the issue is clutch or flywheel related... also note when my car had the kicking issue (before the new engine and clutch) it was much worse with the aircon on also, but was still there without it.
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am

Best thing to do would be to grab a subaru technician from the "local subaru service centre" and have themm accompany you while driving the car with the aircon on to make sure they know exactly what the problem is.

As thunder said it could be clutch flywhel related or it could be an electrical fault caused by the aircon as the diesel has the electronic throttle.

I would definitely get it sorted before the warranty runs out.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Scoobie10

Post by Scoobie10 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for your prompt replies and comments / info steptoe, thunder039 & TOONGA.

Yes thunder039, thanks for the linked post and yes my problem sounds very similar to the issues explained in that post, except for the possible difference that my Outback is fine with the A/C off & almost un-driveable at low speeds with it on.

Will try to take one of their mechanics for a drive again to try & demonstrate the issue to their satisfaction to get something done.

Local Subaru service centre is in Wagga Wagga NSW (without putting a name out there), it is an ongoing issue trying to get them to recognise any problems being experienced with both Mazda & Subaru vehicles that we do / have owned even if we can clearly demonstrate them in a road test.

Clutch issue sort of makes sense to me I guess when thinking about it.

I have queried the service centre previously about a shudder in the clutch when engaging, and they said that it is normal operation of the dual mass flywheel so can anyone else confirm if this is normal in their experience? I know that clutch problems are a real issue in these outbacks and have read that a lot of people have had them replaced under warranty.

I am still interested in hearing from others and in particular other Outback diesel owners in regards to this throttle harshness / sensitivity issue when A/C is on and other issues (I have other problems which are still bothering me but less of a concern).

A little off topic to the above, anyone else find the gearing in these outbacks too tall? Makes hill starts etc a real battle and forces you to use more clutch to get up & going even with the hillstart assist etc.

They have probably made the gears taller for fuel efficiency but with an AWD which is likely to be off road you don't always want tall gears...

Anyone know if they have they changed the manual trans ratios in the newer models?

Recently there were a group of people testing the new outbacks with Auto Trans near to our area & I found the post here: http://realcaradvices.blogspot.com.au/2 ... eview.html

I look forward to your replies.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Have search on here for Outback diesel issues.

This may not be a quick fix...

I would suggest:

1). You document the issues very comprehensively and mail them to the dealer cc Subaru Aust

2). Have a 'End of warranty inspection' the RACV or equivalent offer these and they detail any issues that are the dealer's responsibility.

(1) is of particular importance - just because the warranty expires does not mean the obligation to resolve known problems is absolved. (check relevant consumer rights in your state though - NSW link as an example).

Would also seek advice from the RACV (they have free consumer advocates) before the warranty expires.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Falco80

Post by Falco80 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Scoobie10 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 Diesel Outback with a issue that has bothered me since new.

When driving the vehicle with the air conditioner turned on, easing on and / or off the throttle is very harsh. Low speeds in car parks or slowly moving traffic etc in 1st or 2nd gear almost makes the vehicle "kangaroo". As you go up the gears the issue is still there but isn't as bad.

Turn the air conditioner off and it immediately drives fine / smoothly.

Local Subaru service centre keeps changing their responses from it is normal and part of the diesel configuration to they haven't heard of it to they cannot get the vehicle to reproduce the issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so had any success in resolving it? Or is it a normal part of the Diesel?

Warranty runs out in a few months and if it is an issue then I want it resolved before then.

Thanks in advance :D
Mine has always done this too. I only really notice it when crawling along in traffic, on and off the throttle in first gear. It gets bloody annoying! No matter how gently you try to squeeze the pedal it still does it. I'm blaming the electronic throttle, give me a low-tech accelerator cable anyday! :p
Dan

07/2010 Forester 2.0D Premium
1979 Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser (Old-school diesel! 8))

Scoobie10

Post by Scoobie10 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am

Falco80 wrote:Mine has always done this too. I only really notice it when crawling along in traffic, on and off the throttle in first gear. It gets bloody annoying! No matter how gently you try to squeeze the pedal it still does it. I'm blaming the electronic throttle, give me a low-tech accelerator cable anyday! :p
Thanks for your response Falco80, by the looks you have a Forester Diesel?

The Dreaded ETC drive-by-wire system!....

Glad that I have found someone else with a diesel that is feeling my frustration.

Does your Forester drive smoothly with the A/C off and is a real battle with the A/C on at low speeds / low gears? If yes then does it instantly come good when you flick the A/C off?

Falco80

Post by Falco80 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 am

Scoobie10 wrote:Thanks for your response Falco80, by the looks you have a Forester Diesel?

The Dreaded ETC drive-by-wire system!....

Glad that I have found someone else with a diesel that is feeling my frustration.

Does your Forester drive smoothly with the A/C off and is a real battle with the A/C on at low speeds / low gears? If yes then does it instantly come good when you flick the A/C off?
Yep, forester diesel here. To tell you the truth I have never tried to replicate this issue. I try to minimize my time sitting in traffic!:mad: I am pretty certain it does only happen with the AC on though.
Dan

07/2010 Forester 2.0D Premium
1979 Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser (Old-school diesel! 8))

Return to “Subaru Chat”