Roofrack and awning suggestions

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
frug

Roofrack and awning suggestions

Post by frug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi there everyone.

I need to get an awning to mount on the side of my Forester 2005 XT and was wondering what brand people use and what experience people have with them. What's good? What's bad? What's easy to mount? What's the best quality? Who's had problems with them? Who's had great experiences with them?

Also, what roof racks do people use? do the awnings usually come with 'compatibility' suggestions? Just that I don't wanna have to make any brackets to fit.

Any info would be rad!!

Cheers
D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

Hey D, I'd look at rola.com for some ideas. I'm in the process of making a braket that allows the awning to stand higher than the Subaru roof (I'm not tall but don't want to crouch under it) and I'm trying to make this bracket light, simple and easy to setup, I'll post some pics later.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Post by 60766244 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm envisioning a hinge-system setup that could lie flat with the roofracks... If you want to keep it light, go to a Greenhouse mob and ask them for some offcuts.

I could try get you some aluminium box section or whatever next week as I'm a storeman for Argosee
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:13 pm

i use thule aero bars with thule slide bolts to bolt the awning on. works very well and is very secure.
my awning is a ebay special about $200 from memory. i have used it heaps in the last two years and is not showing any signs of wear
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 am

60766244 wrote:I'm envisioning a hinge-system setup that could lie flat with the roofracks... If you want to keep it light, go to a Greenhouse mob and ask them for some offcuts.

I could try get you some aluminium box section or whatever next week as I'm a storeman for Argosee
Hinge system sounds good but what happens when the roof rack is full of equipment? Just thinking of how things will work when I'm all packed up for a long trip.
thunder039 wrote:i use thule aero bars with thule slide bolts to bolt the awning on. works very well and is very secure.
my awning is a ebay special about $200 from memory. i have used it heaps in the last two years and is not showing any signs of wear
Have you got any pics? and what car is it on? is it high enough that you don't have to crouch? sorry for all the questions.. and sorry D for the hi-jack
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 am

there is a picture of it in this thread: showthread.php?t=23486
it goes on both of my forester. it works better on my SF due to being lifted, but still goes very well on my standard SG, I don't have to duck but with about an extra 25mm the awning would be close to level
2008 zook jimny -sold!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am

Ok, they are just the standard 'L' mounting brackets. I'm not tall but even with these I would have to duck to get under. On my Canyonero these work great but the little Subie ins't that tall.

Oh and cool pics by the way :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 am

yep i used the standard brackets, like i said with an extra 25mm lift in the car it would be perfect
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Return to “Subaru Chat”