Advice & Info Wanted for Mum!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
JeremyK

Advice & Info Wanted for Mum!

Post by JeremyK » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello guys,

Again sorry if I've put this in the wrong section!

But not only am I thinking about buying a Subi (yes still, just let me get a job that pays!), but mums thinking of getting one as well.

She is looking for a tow-car. She wants to buy a 15 (or less) foot caravan, that will weight around 1200kg fully loaded, maybe more.

Mum is open to looking at various cars, but I told her she should stick with what she knows, which is midsize sedans...

But she did say she would "prefer" AWD, so thats when I suggested she buy a Subaru of some description, and immediately we are looking at Liberties.

I want a 3rd Gen, and she is open to those, but I think she would rather the 4th Gen (the face lifted model) as that will overall be a nicer car, plus you can get a 6 in a sedan. I think an Outback will be too big for her (note: Currently drives a KH Laser), she will probably never need that much space.

Now I've seen a range topper 4 GEN facelift Liberty Sedan with the H6 motor, auto transmission, cream leather, fully loaded with sat nav and everything, in blue and just under 100000kays for $20,000, is that reasonable price for this car? Im assuming that the engine needs a timing belt change or some major service at 100,000kays (Most cars do)?

And she is also wondering, according to carsales that Liberty can tow up to 1800kgs braked, which if we get a 1200kg van should leave us with a bit of room, but she is still concerned what will the car be like if it is towing 1800kg with a few suitcases in the back and maybe a few people on board. Will the H6 be okay. Obviously mum is not looking for a racecar, and she is not overly concerned about fuel economy as her work is only 6 kays away, so its not exactly arduous. And when she isnt driving to work shes on the highway anyway, but she would like something that is able to easily pull the caravan on the open roads and won't be too challenged on hills and such.

She has looked at a VE Calais (V6 and V8-AFM) for obvious enough reasons but I think it is just so big, a Liberty is a good size smaller and I think this will make the difference between mum being confident in parking and not being confident and having to find a bigger spot (which when you live this close to the CBD is a rarity).

She is also looking for a "nice" car, something that is bright inside (she does not like black interiors), and will be quiet, refined and comfortable. It will need to handle reasonably well, be reasonably good on fuel (about the same as her Laser would be good) and perform reasonably well. But an absolute must is it must be able to easily pull a van!

I suggested the Liberty mainly because I'm thinking of buying one, and I think it fits the bill fine, particularly the fourth generation is overall a nicer and more luxurios car than the 3rd gen (i still like the 3rd gens more chunky styling for some reason).

So, the main questions my mum has are:
-Is the car easily capable of pulling a 15-foot caravan weighing around 1200kg or more, and what will the car be like if we really push it (1800kg van, boot full of suitcases and 5 adults on board)?
-What experiences have people had pulling caravans with a Liberty or similar?
-How is the car when not towing a van, just using it as a car? (Think I already know the answer to that one), as in, is it cheap(ish) to run, and maintain, what problems should she expect or what maintenance items need doing at services?
-What are things she needs to look out for when purchasing a Subaru?
-If she buys a car that does not have a tow-bar (and then gets one fitted), does she need to modify the car in any other way (such as fitting a transmission cooler?) or any suspension changes?
-Carsales sometimes quotes the towing capacity as 1500, 1800 and 2000, is this an error or are there different tow bars with different capacities? What is the actual capacity of the car? If she buys a car with no tow bar and gets one fitted, will the tow capacity depend on the car or the tow-bar she chooses? is it better to purchase a Subi with a tow-bar already fitted?

Thankyou guys so much for any help! This will be my mums first new (well not new but you get me) car in about 20 years, the Laser doesnt count that was only $2000. This will be her new "nice" car that will last her...Well probably the next 20 years, so for obvious reasons she wants to make sure it is perfect!! Thanks!!

Oh and if mum buys a Subi then I will too! Like mother like son hahahaa!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Hey mate coming from driving a ve sv6 commodore and owning a 2.5l forester I'd definitely say it will you it easily, even at highway km.
I have the ability to tow a car trailer with another forster on the back (1800kg give or take) and my forester will sit on 100kmhr without any real trouble.
A H6 liberty has almost as much power as what a V6 Commodore puts out and will pull it along nicely.
The Gen 4 onc e have a nice 5 speed sports auto unlike the gen 3 H6's.
I'd highly recommended one.

Since she will only be towing short distances not thousands of km she want need a transmission cooler. Go for a Hayman Rheece style towbar/hitch.
If the vehicle is raTed to tow 1800km get a towbar to match.
The only other thing you'll need is a trailer plug on the car.

The H6 engines have a chain not timing belt so no need for change or adjustment at 100k km. Subaru's inggeneral a very solid, reliable vehicles and a gen 4 Lib/Outback is high up there. I see no reason to worry about issues with one if maintained and service properly.

JeremyK

Post by JeremyK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 am

Hey mate!

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a H6 Liberty will be sweet, the one I've looked at has a towbar rated at 1800kg so should be sweet! Oh and I meant when mum isnt towing she will only be travelling short distances, but its likely that when she tows the caravan it will be interstate, so would you recommend any modifications for this purpose? Thanks!

Oh I didnt know they had chains, well thats a bonus! I knew that Subarus are fairly reliable as they are, and in my opinion the 4th Gen is a class above the Commodore (although the Calais is pretty nice!)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:41 am

Only the 3.0 and 3.6 motors have chains - all the rest of us still have to replace those pesky belts :(

Definitely get a transmission oil cooler - and get the biggest / best one you can.

And maybe a set of 4 pot front brakes - can buy them 2nd hand for a bout $200 so thats cheap insurance especially with the extra weight of the caravan. They suit 294mm rotors which the Gen 4 may already have ?? If not new rotors are about $300 a pair.
Although the Gen 4 probably has decent brakes to start with - not sure what they come out with but they would want to be better than the crap on the Gen 3's.............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JeremyK

Post by JeremyK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:38 pm

niterida wrote:Only the 3.0 and 3.6 motors have chains - all the rest of us still have to replace those pesky belts :(

Definitely get a transmission oil cooler - and get the biggest / best one you can.

And maybe a set of 4 pot front brakes - can buy them 2nd hand for a bout $200 so thats cheap insurance especially with the extra weight of the caravan. They suit 294mm rotors which the Gen 4 may already have ?? If not new rotors are about $300 a pair.
Although the Gen 4 probably has decent brakes to start with - not sure what they come out with but they would want to be better than the crap on the Gen 3's.............
Okay well none of that sounds too concerning and you'd probably want to make the same upgrades to a Commodore hahaha

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 pm

An Outback is just a Liberty wagon with a factory suspension lift so same size. Does she need the extra luggage space in the wagon boot?

Subarus in general are very nicely trimmed, reliable cars. A Gen 4 with all the trimmings is very nice! :twisted:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

JeremyK

Post by JeremyK » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:26 pm

NachaLuva wrote:An Outback is just a Liberty wagon with a factory suspension lift so same size. Does she need the extra luggage space in the wagon boot?

Subarus in general are very nicely trimmed, reliable cars. A Gen 4 with all the trimmings is very nice! :twisted:
Yeah I know that lol. I dont think mum needs that space but she is adamant that she needs a massive truck of a car to tow with. She took one look at a 3rd gen model and was like "nope too small". However a 4th gen which is almost the same size looked way bigger to her apparently. She also thinks that for some reason she needs to buy the caravan first and then buy the car to suit it when I think no, buy a car that you like and is capable of towing anything, thats all she needs. But she wont listen to me so maybe you guys have a better opinion. Like she is convinced that the caravans tow ball weight and all this crap is somehow relevant to her car purchase which it is, she needs a car big enough to pull it, the Laser aint gonna, but like seriously a Subarus 1800kg tow weight is plenty. However I can almost guarantee she will end up with a Commodore -.-

And yes I know Subarus are nice cars and for the same money mum can get a top-rung Liberty or a low-to-mid spec Commodore. I know which one I'd rather be for when Im not towing the van haha. Liberty of course.

Return to “Subaru Chat”