1993 L series Air con issue

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
zuba

1993 L series Air con issue

Post by zuba » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 pm

I have just started to try and sort out my inop a/c issue.
The a/c turns on but only blows hot (used to work) so I suspected a gas leak. I had it regassed with dye and it did work but the second fan didn't turn on when the compressor comes on. I have checked and there is no power going to the second fan but when I wired it up direct to the battery it worked fine.
Checked the workshop manual but it does not appear to have anything on the a/c system.
Anyone know where the second fan might be getting its power from or if there is a second relay somewhere for it?
Cheers
Melbourne weather sucks.......

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:25 pm

G'day Zuba,

Sometimes the thermo fans will come on in a staggered or staged setup if the engine is not up to temperature - check it out with the engine up to temp after a short run (or a long one if you've got a trip on the go) - pop the bonnet with the AC on and both fans should be in operation.

The staggered thing occurs on Sunnie the Brumby.

Also, come to think of it all L series are fitted with a mechanical fan and an electric thermo fan. Someone may have removed the mechanical fan and fitted an aftermarket thermo fan. I'd be looking into the wiring that controls this fan and see where it's trigger/switch is and check out the general condition of the wiring. Also check for any auxiliary fuses as it could have blown a fuse.

Does the AC work now that it's regassed?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

zuba

Post by zuba » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Yes a/c blows cold but turns off after a short period. (Tested at normal operating temp) second fan looks all factory fit with factory plugs into loom. Tried running car to see what would happen after a period and it just got hot with the second fan failing to cut in.
Wouldn't know where u could find a manual for this setup?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Try tracking the wiring of that second fan to see where it ends up. Also check all your fuses.

You could look for a manual, but I'm not sure where to look for an L series FSM. I know where you can find a liberty FSM but that's not going to help out unless we're actually talking about a liberty.

What engine are you running and is it stock? Got pics of the radiator/fan setup?

Also check the connection plugs for corrosion and a good connection - they could look plugged in but if one of the pins is pushed back into the plug it's not going to do squat for the fan.

Many things to look into on this one - just need to knock them over one by one until we hit it on the head.

Cheers

Bennie

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 pm

With an L series, both fans should run when the A/C is on, they may have different controllers or they may be commoned.
Tracing the non op fan wiring is the simplest way to work out why it no go.
There are variances in the way the A/C is wired, between models, 93 should have a straight forward control system, I will PM you about a wiring diagram.
L serious, still.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Can you post a photo of both fans?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

zuba

Post by zuba » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm

The engine and ac is all factory. I have power running out of the harness plug when checked with multimeter to negative wire in plug and body earths. I have an operational fan when wired direct to battery.
When I plug in the fan to the loom and the ac running the power disappears and the fan does not work.
Traced the fan wire to main junction but kind of lost from there.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 pm

aw shoot, are these fans fed constant pos + power and the neg - is on the switch ? Might be cause of your power disappearing !

The heat does suck, but so too does the AC - made my L forget it had a turbo !

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Going by the 90 Subaru manual, it shows only one electric fan.
This connected to the loom with a blue/red wire = +ve all the time from fuse 15 , ign on.
The other wire is yellow/white, this is a switched earth, through the thermoswitch and radiator fan relay.
The second fan would be interfaced to this somehow.
L serious, still.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Is there a thermo switch in the radiator that could be faulty? I guess not if you say you get power through the loom but fan still doesn't work :confused:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

zuba

Post by zuba » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks heaps everyone for the help. So far I have swapped the air cond and thermo fan relays and both work ok.
There is a gremlin in there somewhere. Haven't tested the thermo fan switch as yet but having the 90 model schematic will help. Thanks again

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 pm

On the L.Series without A/C the car has 1 engine/viscous fan and one electric fan. The electric fan is connected to a thermo switch on the radiator and only comes on when the engine reaches the right temp. When A/C kit is fitted (not all L.Series come to Aus with A/C but Subaru had a complete kit that dealers would fit to vehicles) the viscous fan was removed and an extra electric fan was fitted. The original electric fan wiring had a connection joint that was broken then a joiner loom was fitted when A/C was installed. The override/joiner loom that joins in between the original wiring was part of the A/C wiring loom if it is a factory supplied kit.

Hope this makes sense?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 pm

My L series had A/C and the viscous fan and 1 electric fan
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Gannon wrote:My L series had A/C and the viscous fan and 1 electric fan
+1 same here for Dads L, if some of them were dealer fitted I could see there being quite a few differences between years. Also Dads L has similar symptoms with the electric fan not coming on when the A/C button is pushed, only started doing it this summer. Whole system must be on the way out it hasn't been checked over/serviced in 10 years or more and the compressor is making a hell of a racket :(
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am

Sorry.. yes I was thinking of MY series :(

The joiner loom was in the L.Series and should be connected to the thermo switch. It overrides the contacts of the thermo switch and makes the electric fan come on whether the engine is hot or not.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:05 pm

I've got three L's the same :rolleyes:
RSR 555 wrote:Sorry.. yes I was thinking of MY series :(
Thought as much!

Zuba, have you looked into this any further?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”