RS turbo drivetrain(s) vs leone/brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
henpecked

first OZ RS turbo drivetrain(s) vs leone/brumby

Post by henpecked » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I am trying to get my head arround the differences between the S1 EA82 4x4 Turbo drive train and the Ea81 brunby/wagon 4x4 drivetrain. ( and after that the AWD of the later subis)

Is it true that the first EA Turbos ( wagon and sedan) here in oz came with a LSD rear diff and the brumby did not.

is that the only difference ( other than 5speed + EA82 vs 4speed + EA81 ) ? If so I assume there is not a central diff in our EA82 turbos like I think there was in the JDM ones ?

does this mean that only the Series 2 turbos had a central diff ( was this incorporated into the gearbox ? ) , which allowed them to have the constant 4x4 drive as opposed to AWD ?

I have searched this and other forums and have found no clear explaination of the various setups - I spoke with Steve from rising sun several years ago he said the constant 4x4 was much desired by the Turbo EJ transplanted Brumbys as this gave better control of the (far) greater power on the metropolitan roads then when only the standard FWD was in operation as in the standard drivetrain.

would I be right in assuming that the near ultimate brumby drivetrain that still gave true 4x4 H/L range would be EJ engine + constant 4x4 5 speed EA dual range gearbox and a EA LSD rear ? does this actually exist in anyone's car here in OZ ?

all opinions / help / links to threads would be greatly appreciated.

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

As far as I know the EA82T setups we had did not have a centre diff, but had a rear LSD. I have an RX Turbo with an EJ22 but the stock 5sp DR box out of it and rear LSD.

Don't know if that helps.

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm

henpecked wrote:Is it true that the first EA Turbos ( wagon and sedan) here in oz came with a LSD rear diff and the brumby did not.
The first EA turbo to come to Aus via Subaru Australia was the 1985 RX Turbo sedan (no wagon) and they were only available for 2 years. They came with a Plated LSD and rear discs. The engine is the EA82 EFI model.
henpecked wrote:is that the only difference ( other than 5speed + EA82 vs 4speed + EA81 ) ? If so I assume there is not a central diff in our EA82 turbos like I think there was in the JDM ones ?
EA81 engines were only available in 5 speed but only in 2WD. The 4WD models were 4 speed and available in single or dual range 4WD. The centre diff locked versions were only available in the EA82 turbo model Vortex range which were EA82 EFI.
henpecked wrote:does this mean that only the Series 2 turbos had a central diff ( was this incorporated into the gearbox ? ) , which allowed them to have the constant 4x4 drive as opposed to AWD ?
Not sure what you are meaning Series 2? AWD is Constant All Wheel Drive
henpecked wrote:I have searched this and other forums and have found no clear explaination of the various setups - I spoke with Steve from rising sun several years ago he said the constant 4x4 was much desired by the Turbo EJ transplanted Brumbys as this gave better control of the (far) greater power on the metropolitan roads then when only the standard FWD was in operation as in the standard drivetrain.
Any AWD gearbox is ideal for the EJ turbo conversion, although the NA engine gearboxes don't have a clutch designed for the extra torque. The PT4WD gearboxes are not really ideal for the EJ turbo, as there is a lot of tyre grip in just the front wheels.
henpecked wrote:would I be right in assuming that the near ultimate brumby drivetrain that still gave true 4x4 H/L range would be EJ engine + constant 4x4 5 speed EA dual range gearbox and a EA LSD rear ? does this actually exist in anyone's car here in OZ ?
This combination was not built in any cars by Subaru because the D/R AWD box is too weak for the Turbo'd EJ range. The EA FT4WD with centre diff lock boxes were not released in Aus, so finding them is like looking for rocking horse poo but they were released to other markets. My L.Series Offroader is 98 WRC EJ20 Turbo'd with a custom built Hybrid gearbox using EJ D/R front casings in a L.Series D/R gearset fitted with a Vortex AWD with diff lock rear transfer case and the rear diff is a L.Series RX Turbo plated LSD. To me, this is close to perfect combo without spending huge dollars.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”