4wd question

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
nairobery

Post by nairobery » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:04 am

RSR 555 wrote:That's great to hear and we want pics of your progress :)

Nope, the binding comes from the tail shaft turning at a different speed to the gearbox. The LSD just allows better drive to both rear wheels, so it would more than likely make it worse. I wouldn't worry about the LSD unless you're planning to do lots of off roading.

I'd also recommend 3.9 ratio final drive if you're going 14" wheels

Finally got the dual range gearbox, the interior cover isnt mint but am still sourcing for a good one. It did great in deep mud just couldn't believe that i clawed through it that easy. Thanks all for the help.

Next am thinking rear discs?? i hope it will make a difference.

Here is the image if it doesnt get uploaded

https://imageshack.com/i/p2L0wlFOj

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 am

rear discs are incredibly hard to find. Only came out on turbo EFI models.
And you'll need the ones off a 4wd vehicle because they differ.

Depends on your type of driving whether they'll be any use, but I prefer them (plus I think it looks stupid to see a set of drums through a nice set of wheels :p)
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:59 am

wagonist wrote:rear discs are incredibly hard to find. Only came out on turbo EFI models.
And you'll need the ones off a 4wd vehicle because they differ.

Depends on your type of driving whether they'll be any use, but I prefer them (plus I think it looks stupid to see a set of drums through a nice set of wheels :p)
Got this at the yard hope they are the correct ones Image

Sent Image

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk 2

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Nice fnd, that's them. Pity the backing plates are so mangled...
Did you get the sway bar & brackets with the arms?
And did you get the diff out of the same car? It should be an LSD (unless they came off an auto)

Not so good for 4wding cos they limit the arm movement in extreme moments, but the rear end picks up wheels anyways.
But the rear bar makes the handling so much sweeter IMHO.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:56 pm

And did you get the diff out of the same car? It should be an LSD (unless they came off an auto)
Please qualify/xplain that statement wagonist, not sure what you mean:neutral:

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm

wagonist wrote:Nice fnd, that's them. Pity the backing plates are so mangled...
Did you get the sway bar & brackets with the arms?

Not so good for 4wding cos they limit the arm movement in extreme moments, but the rear end picks up wheels anyways.
But the rear bar makes the handling so much sweeter IMHO.
We tried our best to get the backing plates straight again, they had been lying for about 3 years under some pile of junk.

I got the sway bar and arms,bracket are broken. I kept my original arms until i can find the bushing and brackets for the sway bar.

I called the yard guys they will look for the LSD from the same car hope they find it. Question - how many types of diffs are there? LSD, lock diff...am wondering what kind of diff i have. Among the diffs which is best for mud and hill climbing, LSD or Lockdiff

What limits the arm movement ??

Oh and the rear brakes make a HUGE difference from the drums.

If i can sort out the diff then planning on EJ conversion EJ20 DOHC i've read somewhere on here that DOHC is a bit tricky to fit.

Cheers.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:06 pm

FujiFan wrote:Please qualify/xplain that statement wagonist, not sure what you mean:neutral:
I don't remember the automatic RX turbos (or rather the GLTA) having an LSD at the rear.
Still had the disc brakes & rear sway bar tho.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 pm

nairobery wrote:We tried our best to get the backing plates straight again, they had been lying for about 3 years under some pile of junk.

I got the sway bar and arms,bracket are broken. I kept my original arms until i can find the bushing and brackets for the sway bar.

I called the yard guys they will look for the LSD from the same car hope they find it. Question - how many types of diffs are there? LSD, lock diff...am wondering what kind of diff i have. Among the diffs which is best for mud and hill climbing, LSD or Lockdiff

What limits the arm movement ??

Oh and the rear brakes make a HUGE difference from the drums.

If i can sort out the diff then planning on EJ conversion EJ20 DOHC i've read somewhere on here that DOHC is a bit tricky to fit.

Cheers.
If you can't get the backing plates straight, just cut them off. You only really need the thicker part that hold the calipers.
Rear sway bar brackets are fragile because of their design. Better off modifying the design so they bolt down on both sides instead of just one.

The sway bar is another type of spring which is normally slack but takes load when one side moves relative to the other side. Suspension without swaybars can have more movement up & down but the body roll isn't controlled as well.

Only factory options for diff centre are open and LSD (though I can't remember if they were a clutch or cone type)
If you're mud or hill climbing, break out the welder and make the centre of an open diff locked. Just be ready to remove one of the rear axles when driving on the tarmac
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

If it's an LSD in the rear of the donor vehicle I'd also be checking the gearbox to see if it's a centre locking diff unit (The ultimage in onroad and offroad performance).

If it is and you don't want it feel free to post it in my direction ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Only if you split the box & change the low range to the NA one (1:1.562), not the turbo one (1:1.18)
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 pm

wagonist wrote:Only if you split the box & change the low range to the NA one (1:1.562), not the turbo one (1:1.18)
Yeah thanks Wagonist - I forgot about that detail :( I've done this with mine as well as 4.11 diff ratio "swap" and a front helical LSD - awesome combination. Would love to move to 4.44 diff ratio and SG foz gearbox internals as the turbo ratios aren't great and they're tired.

Cheers

Bennie

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:If it's an LSD in the rear of the donor vehicle I'd also be checking the gearbox to see if it's a centre locking diff unit (The ultimage in onroad and offroad performance).

If it is and you don't want it feel free to post it in my direction ;)

Cheers

Bennie
I have a good lead on a manual gearbox with a locking diff, will take photos, am sure you will be able to advice if it's the correct one

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:01 pm

If it's got a vacuum canister hanging off the left side, but also a linkage running through the box externally on the right side, then it's be a centre-locking with dual range. But it will only have the turbo low range as these boxes only came on turbo models.

There are single range boxes which also have a locking centre diff, and then also single range part time 4wd boxes.
These both have the vacuum canister hanging off th left side, but the linkage they connect to on the right side are upside down to each other.
I can't remember off hand which way is which.

I've got full time 4wd single range with diff lock in my car now. Its a bit dark to check it now.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

nairobery

Post by nairobery » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:06 am

wagonist wrote:If it's got a vacuum canister hanging off the left side, but also a linkage running through the box externally on the right side, then it's be a centre-locking with dual range. But it will only have the turbo low range as these boxes only came on turbo models.

There are single range boxes which also have a locking centre diff, and then also single range part time 4wd boxes.
These both have the vacuum canister hanging off th left side, but the linkage they connect to on the right side are upside down to each other.
I can't remember off hand which way is which.

I've got full time 4wd single range with diff lock in my car now. Its a bit dark to check it now.
Ok Wagonist thanks for that i will sure look out for the canister and linkage but will sure take photos before I buy it

Question... If it's single range, with locking diff is it better than the dual range open diff.. A bit confusing as I thought the dual range was more superior

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:19 pm

single range with locking diff would be ok if you just drive on gravel a lot wihtout actually doing off road type 4wding.
But if you do off roading, you'd be better of with the part time 4wd, dual range.
When in 4wd, its the same as having the diff locked on the single range.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:37 pm

nairobery wrote:Ok Wagonist thanks for that i will sure look out for the canister and linkage but will sure take photos before I buy it

My AWD locking centre diff gearbox setup - pic shows the orientation of the lever to distinguish between an AWD box and the single range PT4wd box ;)
nairobery wrote:Question... If it's single range, with locking diff is it better than the dual range open diff.. A bit confusing as I thought the dual range was more superior
The only advantage of the AWD locking box is that you have AWD on road all the time - better traction for all driving conditions on the black top.

Then when offroad you have a true mechanical 4wd lock.

As Wagonist has said:
wagonist wrote:single range with locking diff would be ok if you just drive on gravel a lot wihtout actually doing off road type 4wding.
But if you do off roading, you'd be better of with the part time 4wd, dual range.
When in 4wd, its the same as having the diff locked on the single range.
If you just want easy offroading ability the Dual Range PT4wd box would be the way to go IMO.
If you want AWD and are willing to play with internals the locking box is awesome - especially if you get to the point of customising the diff ratio to something better, I've gone 4.111:1 and it's awesome over the stock 3.7:1 with 27 inch tyres :twisted: But this has cost me more $$$s to setup too - and it's been sometime in the making!

Cheers

Bennie

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks for the pic.
The single range, part time 4wd box levers from that undrilled boss that's above the "yellow" part of the lever. The cable ends up in the same place, but it levers from the top, not the bottom.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Return to “Subaru Chat”