new clutch cable in Brumby - new ute !!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

new clutch cable in Brumby - new ute !!

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 am

Just fitted up a new genuine clutch cable to the Brumby - what a difference!!

The old one has been lubed up a few times to make a difference in its own right, but new, with new inner cable sleeve to glide ..

such an effortless pedal! Marshmallow soft so saves stres further along the chain of actions every clutch and declutch time !

At same time I sprayed lanotec in everywhere I could to lube the accy pedal pivot shaft, brake pedal return spring.

I think it is an easier job to drop the steering column, remove entire pedal box with clutch cable, to fit the new cable - replacing that *&#@! spring clip and pivot on the clutch pedal end, with a clevis pin style pivot pin stolen from a brake pedal.

I forget how much a genuine cable costs (came with a spare ute :) ) but must be worth shelling the money out. I do recall fitting a non genuine - PITA and not correct cable for the common old MY's either !!

coxy

Post by coxy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

First thing I bought when I got the Brumby was a new Genuine cable I seem to remember it was high 40's at the time money well spent and the original went in behind the passenger seat as a spare, I recommend this as standard practice when you buy any New Old vehicle with a cable clutch, I also replaced the accelerator cable ditto at the same time for the same reason.
Currently I think one should add the bluddy Bonnet cable into that mix as well mine is getting rather hard to open and it gets pressure lubed as well!!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:52 pm

yeah, i sorta got caught out not practising what i bin preaching to others - fit a new clutch, go a new cable as well...just never forced the suggestion - especially if they had hydraulic :D

My new accy cables are well, with a bit of luck Marky remembered to post them this weekend - LHD are a 100mm longer for a bit less stress around some of those bends - will be going in shortly as well.

Return to “Subaru Chat”