The All Wheel Drive GLF-5, Version 2.0

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tim_81coupe
General Member

The All Wheel Drive GLF-5, Version 2.0

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:03 am

Hi all!

Just though I'd fill you in on some "improvements" that have been made to my little wallet munching coupe of late. As you no doubt already know, the car is very far from it's factory form mostly thanks to me. I'll just fill in on the basics to begin with, it's been fitted with an EJ20G turbo motor, running the AWD box and rear LSD. Disc brakes all round and that about caps off the basics.
Now for the recent improvements...

I pulled the wiring loom completely, as anyone who's seen the car can attest it was a horrible wiring job. The complete Legacy loom sat where the passenger's feet should have! I've trimmed this right back, and mostly concealed it. It will be completely concealed before I'm done.
I pulled the motor and changed the timing belt, fixed an exhaust leak and cleaned it up a bit before putting it back in. I was surprised to see the clutch was in extremely good condition.
The turbo has been upgraded to a Mitsubishi TDO5H.
The new injectors are on the way, keeping details hushed.
The new ECU is coming too, also keeping quiet on this one.
Several other (small) performance mods have been organised, nothing too big here.
My new fuel system is going to be something, trying to find a new surge tank at the moment. I'll be using a Malpassi rising rate regulator and a better fuel pump too.
An oil catch can will be installed.
New bonnet planned!
CO2 - finally!

There are various other improvements being made across the board, so it should hopefully be a different car to drive afterwards. Hopefully it will be on the road in around 4 weeks, when it is you'll be the first to know!

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:25 pm

-Installed a lightweight billet pulley kit today. The crank pulley is now just under 400g, heaps lighter than the steel one which is 2.2kg. Also, it underdrives the alternator by 30%.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48 pm

With all these nice performance improvements have you given any thought to your poor, defenceless and abused rear cv's, the image of an exploded bearing cup will stay with me forever :lol:

Jordan.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:54 pm

Well I've been thinking about putting together a pair of axles using Redline grease, although this will hardly help the situation.

The local CV place reckon short of going custom axles there's not a lot I can do. So I'll carry two spares everywhere and if it becomes an issue then I will get axles made.

Yeah, they look bad when they go. The shattered cups do look worse than the shattered cages. :D

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:05 am

Sounds awesome Tim... I will have to come over and catch up with ya and check out your progress.

Dave

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:51 am

Well, anytime this week should be good. I am back at work though.

I should have a thing or two arriving from MRT within the week, I pick up my injectors tomorrow and I should have some more eBay gear arriving.

Still hunting for a surge tank.

Return to “Subaru Chat”