What WRX to buy

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Mark0

What WRX to buy

Post by Mark0 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:32 pm

I need some help on what WRX to buy, I have not had much to do with them but I am tossing up between a 2004 STI, 2006 WRX impreza Evo 9 or a 2004-5 Peta Solberg edition.
Can you guys give me some thoughts, recomedations and info on these models and what to go for, my budget is between 30k to 40k.
I have just taken a dead stock 2004 sti for a drive with 48000k's on it and I was fairly unimpressed bt i relise what ever I buy will not be really any quicker (I currenty have a heavily modified R32GTR) but i need 4 doors so out with the GTR and in with the WRX, thanks for any help guys.

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:24 am

Have you posted this on http://www.rexnet.com.au ?

I'd go the 04 STi, better motor, suspension, interior etc.
Easier to get more power out of it in the end.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a good service history and not some wanker who spent to much on the car and had no money left to service it.

ITGRIPS

Post by ITGRIPS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:49 am

yep, as above, try going for an STi, better brakes ( brembos ), better gearbox, more power etc etc. better base to start with
'97 WRX Hatch
'85 VK SS Brockodore

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:43 am

In the short time I was interested in Impreza WRX's it was only ever going to be an MY00 , last and best equipt of the classic body style .

To me smaller and lighter means more nimble and better power to weight ratio . You can bolt a later more refined EJ20 into a lighter MY00 , you can't bolt a lighter smaller body onto an MY01+ .

The Brembo brakes are fine in a heavier car if you drive it like you stole it or require the eye candy , otherwise they area waste of money over the MY00 brakes .

If four door and hard core performance is your meat Evo 6 and later Lancers are a superior platform . Way too much suspension work to do to an Impreza to get even close . My money's on the E6+ 4G63 because it has a iron block , twin scroll turbocharger and all its weight is over or behind the front axle line where virtually the whole EJ20 is "out on a limb" ahead of an Imprezsa front axle line .
I think the Lancer AWD transmission is more hardy and has better ratios than the Impreza so all pretty good std .
Brembo brakes like them or not are std across the board E6 on .
Mitsy gives you a healthy intercooler where the almighty intended intercoolers to live , not behind the engine under a mailbox .

Your call but I think Mitsubishi gives you more out of the box performance package wise than Subaru does . Also I know full well that EJ25's are turning up in later REXes but 2.3/2.4L stretched 4G63's are an easy upgrade .

Decisions decisions , I'll be ticking the Mitsy box possibly next year .

Cheers A .

Mark0

Post by Mark0 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Cheers guys I think we will be looking at the STI 04

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 pm

go a spec c ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Mark0

Post by Mark0 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:18 am

I think I will decide on a 2004 STI, does anyone know how much it is to get the extral lip on the front bar if I buy one without it ?
And in pics I have noticed the 05 STI has a grey steering wheel, where the 04 has the silver in the middle, is this the only difference between the 2 models ?

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:16 am

pcd is diff and i think some 05's also run dccd?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Return to “Subaru Chat”