help with wheels

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
redwagon

help with wheels

Post by redwagon » Fri May 09, 2008 6:22 pm

hi everyone
new to the site and think its great.
just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a hub conversion. presently i have a l series wagon 1990 and im interested in putting wrx rims on it. can it be done?

ps i live in perth
cheerss
jesse

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 pm

Yes, it can be done.

Option 1: Crossbred Perf. upgrade kit. Best solution, highest cost.

Option 2: Redrill hubs. Illegal in some states, needs to be done by a professional due to bolt pattern change.

Option 3: Adaptor spaces. Illegal in pretty much all states (with good reason), fairly readily available, easiest fix.

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Fri May 09, 2008 7:20 pm

dont forget wheels off a cruiser as well, 6stud converted back to four stud using some existing hole's

redwagon

Post by redwagon » Fri May 09, 2008 7:44 pm

sounds good.
few questions
does the upgrade kit require discs on the rear and do you knbow how much it costs?
does anyone know if the hubs are redrilled are they illegal in WA and how much can i get that done for
and how much can i get the illegal spacers for?

also subarute are u talking about land cruiser rims ? and do they bolt straight on to the original 4 stud with sum bolts missing ?

thanks
1990 red l series wagon
ea82 carby power

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat May 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Crossbred kit will give you rear discs from a later model Subaru. I do not know of a drum rear 5-stud option. Check the wheels & tyres sub-forum for further details on the Crossbred kit.

Don't know on the WA legislation, I'm guessing it would not be readily noticed over the pits if done well.

Spacers - try eBay USA, or there was a seller on the usmb forum (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org, a similar US-based Subaru site). You may also have offset issues with spacers.

Cruiser wheels - the common 4wd bolt pattern is 6-stud (excluding small Toyota's like Hilux & the Ford Territory), and 2 of those studs will line up with two diagonally-opposite Subaru studs. You can then either fill & drill the 4wd wheels to 4 x 140 (fairly easy to do, looks original if you clean up the welds and repaint afterwards), or alternatively drill your hubs to suit the 6-bolt pattern (much easier to do than the 5-stud WRX pattern as you have 2 guide bolts to use). The disadvantage is most Cruiser wheels are the wrong offset and generally too wide (7"-8" is not uncommon) - fine if you have wider guards or a lift kit installed. I used Ford Courier (Mazda) 15" wheels as they were only 5.5" wide but the offset is still not ideal.

Your only other wheel options are rare-as 14" Subaru 4x140 wheels (if you can find them), Peugeot 504 14" steel, 15" steel or 15" alloy wheels (watch out for 390mm metric wheels in Pug's, they use metric tyres which cost hundreds more than regular 14/15" tyres) (ugly as sin in some eyes but just about unbreakable), or aftermarket Speedys (cheapish), Scorpions (expensive), and I think there's another brand around. And of course custom made / special order rims ($$$).

Again, this is covered in more depth in the wheels & tyres sub-forum.

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Return to “Subaru Chat”