stupid mistakes

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:00 pm

-> After having already crushed my finger 3 hrs from hospital on way home from WA, we almost ripped off the exhaust in our rush to hospital consquently melting away the cam cover.

After not being able to completely seal off the exhaust and in my infinite wisdom decided to see how hot the cam belt was getting once the engine was started - Not thinking that the cam belt would be moving stuck my fingers in there on my "good hand". Bloody lucky not to do another finger. Scared the sh!t outta me!

-> Left tools on the car when going for a check run - so far all that i know of have been there when i've found them :rolleyes:

-> I crossed the terminals on dad's old statesman when mum didn't know what she was doing for the jump start (i was in primary school). One alternator rebuild and a missed day of rollerskating we had a running car. Not that this is any conselation, but the alternator was reported to be on the way out and the car ran better after the rebuild...

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 pm

always working under car with only a trolley jack... gonna get me one day

scooting down the shopping centre car park on back of trolley... went over spped bump, stacked it big time in front of a few people, grazed knees/hands, busted sunnies and shorts

flipped a go kart in the French Riviera whilst pissy driving, had my racing brain in gear...which sucks, twisted knee, grazed arms/legs/shoulder, stuffed jeans/shoes/shirts/go kart.

pulled out in front of lancer......

pulled high pressure fuel lines of engine without depressurising... got a big squirt of fuel straight into eyes.

wd40 in eyes

lighting bbq whilst pissed, blew up in my face, burnt hair/fingers/eyebrows.

most likely more

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:15 pm

ikll second that motion about the high pressure fuel in lines...did it in the rex when puytting motor back in....it stung..and i got contact lenses so made it that much worse

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am

vidler wrote:pulled out in front of lancer......
Jay, at least you're willing to let others have a chuckle even if you're not there yet. I might add that it wasn't funny at the time.

Bennie

subanator

Post by subanator » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Yep I go with another cross leads jump starting, cost me an alternator and ECU eventually.

Overfilled an oil change (Nissan) before going off bike racing, smoke blowing for 10kms from over oiling valve guides, had to stop on the side of the road and let a bit out from the sump.

My missus overfilled her Pulsar with oil topping one day (whole 4L) and filled the oil to the rocker covers, drove off and oil leaking onto the header thought she blew it up. Let a lot more than bit out of the sump.

Kick starting motorbikes wearing thongs.

Bump starting motorbike wearing thongs, stalls, falls over and bashplate nearly cuts toe off.

Starting motorbike with rag in airbox.

Starting motorbike with exhaust plug in exhaust after washing.

Riding bike and not pumping brakes after refitting wheels.

Tuning a Holley on a Holden V8 and it backfires up the carb in your face.

Tightening a radiator cap under pressure that spun right around and burnt my neck and face - lucky not worse, had to drive myself to hospital as well.

Left tools on radiator working and started car and the radiator fan took one look at a screw driver and fired it at the battery - no damage, whew.

Push starting Subarus via the drivers door and window buggers the guides on the window.

Rolling car out by hand from carport, drivers door open hits the pillar.

Closing door with hip when hands full dents doors.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Tue May 13, 2008 11:28 pm

ALL of the above to some extent...

Worst I did was put 50 amps across my chest while welding a car door on the mini. Didnt think much of it at the time apart from my assistant having to kick the door out of my hand(Long story short...put the electrode in the door bin, bare metal, holding the clamp in my hand, dog burstsinto the garage and knocks the door, I instinctively grab it and in turn put my hand holding the clamp on the roof of the car....completed the circuit across my chest!!!)

Went to hospital for a frazzled Mk 1 bloodpump!!! All good now and gunshy about electricity!!
Rob Forsyth

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 am

hmmmm

moved car with fogged up screen, bam into f*&k off big gum tree 900km away from home. drove the car home.

nearly set engine on fire, leaking injector on ea82t and pulled off plug lead.

there is more when i think of them

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed May 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Was Standing In A Puddle Of Water, In Wet Season Northern Territory, Sweating Like A Pig, Unpluggged Extension Lead Copped 240 Volts Across The Chest, I Couldnt Let Go, Had To Throw It Away, Now Have A Lot Of Respect For The Invisable Nasty

Electrician And Part Time Welder Needed A Hand Tacking Some Stainless Steel Together Says Hey Andy Hold This For Me, Me Being Nervous Wreck After Previous Episode I Say Are You Sure You Wont Zap Me ? No Says Electrician You'll Be Right .... Guess What Yep He Got Me ... That Hurt More Than The 240v.... Still Very Nervous When It Comes To Electricity....
AND ELECTRICIANS :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Wed May 14, 2008 2:16 pm

FROG wrote:Was Standing In A Puddle Of Water, In Wet Season Northern Territory, Sweating Like A Pig, Unpluggged Extension Lead Copped 240 Volts Across The Chest, I Couldnt Let Go, Had To Throw It Away, Now Have A Lot Of Respect For The Invisable Nasty

Electrician And Part Time Welder Needed A Hand Tacking Some Stainless Steel Together Says Hey Andy Hold This For Me, Me Being Nervous Wreck After Previous Episode I Say Are You Sure You Wont Zap Me ? No Says Electrician You'll Be Right .... Guess What Yep He Got Me ... That Hurt More Than The 240v.... Still Very Nervous When It Comes To Electricity....
AND ELECTRICIANS :-D

Yepp - My dad(RIP) made me hold the coil lead on his crummydore - I near shat!!

He also used to like hooking up the electric fence to our beds/door handles/bikes etc - just for fun.

Myself and my brothers on the property would have competitions to see who could withstand the cattle jiggers the longest(6 "D" sized batteries and would discharge 120 volts!!!).

Second youngest brother sat on jigger while he was working for RTA(cattle transporters) in the NT. Got him right on the freckle and threw him out the passengers side door on his Mack.

Hate the green steam and I dont trust anything lekky.

Hooroo
Rob Forsyth

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Wed May 14, 2008 2:19 pm

I Got One From A Cattle Prod Once Too-- Damn They Hurt- no wonder the cattle moved along after copping that
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed May 14, 2008 4:32 pm

So many.. Some of the ones that stay in my mind are:
Stripped exhaust studs, drilled to put helicoils in. Drilled to far and got to the oil passage. A constant stream of oil down the hot exhaust was interesting...
Done the timing belts on an EA82 to the A-0-B three timing marks, not the three timing belt timing marks...
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm

needed to roll my car a couple meters back in the garage, once it was going i grabbed for the handbrake and missed- my towball left a nice scratch on mum's car.

turned car on with an oil line disconnected. damn that took ages to clean up.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 14, 2008 11:57 pm

I have opened the roller door with the GLTA in reverse with wires all over the place under the dash, one foot in the car , one out, Cocky on my shoulder and musta knocked from N to R, car started to roll backwards , then faster when only foot in car stepped on wrong pedal - mindful all the time of me 22 year old parrots safety . Roller doors are not good security measures as one good shove will 'open' them up.

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Thu May 15, 2008 3:51 pm

Stabbed myself deep up the nostral with a large flat blade screwdriver, it left a flap of skin hanging inside there.....slightly either side and I would have lost an eye.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Grinding a slot in a clutch pedal to take a later model clutch cable - needed to see what I was doing so held the grinder (with grinder disc) in one hand while I crouched down to see how it was going.

That's about when the grinding disc bit in and threw the grinder into my face - by the time I reacted it had hit me across my chin/mouth/nose area with the edge of the disc...

My face went numb, I put the grinder down after turning it off, ran inside and asked my brother what the damage was. He thought I was taking the piss cos I had a graze under my lip, a little down my chin and a little graze on the end of my nose. I felt like I had just ripped through my lips.

I'm now "sporting" a small scar under my bottom lip, lucky for me as it could have been so much worse. I now pay more attention to what i need to do with a grinder, am more cautious and have some more respect for that device...

Bennie

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Thu May 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Opened a boiling radiator when I was 15, had a red face for a couple of days from the heat and stupidity, never done it since.

Drank some motor oil from a bike too, it was left in a coke bottle on the table by my brother, it looked right but didn't pour right at all. I rinsed my mouth out for a couple of hours, it's weird having water bead inside your mouth and on your tongue.

A mate got some motor oil in one of his eye's, said it gave his vision a yellow tinge and was real easy to blink :)

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu May 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Not used to an automatic, car crept forward into a log (in the bush), I pushed accelerator not realising I had even moved, and wham bam, cracked front bumper.

coops

Post by coops » Sun May 18, 2008 11:21 am

I was using a rattle gun with a non impact uni joint. Socket came off the bolt, uni turned 90 degree and fired the socket into my head at high speed. I was knocked out for about 30 seconds the boys at work recon.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun May 18, 2008 5:43 pm

Was trimming a piece of radiator hose and slipped with the stanley knife and put a neat slice across the top of the knuckle on my thumb, drove myself to hospital with my thumb wrapped up in a t shirt. They gave me 3 stitches for my effort.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sun May 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Hmmmm - adding to my list...

- Screwdriver(red dick lekky one) through the middle of the palm of my hand adjusting an SU carb(Effing pommy shite!!!)
- Just yesterday!!!! Chipped my tooth blowing out the gunk from the float bowl on an 1 1/2 inch SU...off to the Dentist at RMC Duntroon to get a cap on it. I brought the carb to my mouth and as I was just about to make contact...tripped on the engine crane and a crunch...FFFFF it hurt!!

Think I will stick to Subarus - I am going to kill myself by the end of the week on this bloody mini!!!

Hooroo
Rob Forsyth

Return to “Subaru Chat”