Is it an addiction or what?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
4130warrior

Is it an addiction or what?

Post by 4130warrior » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:35 pm

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here although I've been lurking and reading a bit.

Gotta admit I never really thought much of Subys as viable options for myself until I bought an $800 dunger about 8 months ago on a whim. The idea was to have a small wagon to sleep in with the missus on a summer road trip but since then I realised what fantastic little beasts they are.

Sadly the old girl is now roughly the size of a shopping trolley after some dumb bird in an R51 Pathfinder jumped in front of me on Parramatta Rd in the pouring rain, ran up the arse of the Rav4 in front of me and left me with nowhere to go but up her clacker. To add insult to injury insurance made me cough up the dough to fix the arse end of her piece of crap! And of course I only had 3rd party so off the Sub went to the metal yard... and after I bought a towbar for it off a bloke off here, and I didn't even think to grab it back off the car before it was trailered away haha...

Anyway I think when tax comes around I should have enough to buy another one, so I'm starting to look around now. The cheaper the better but wouldn't mind another L with a bit of fruit like P/S etc (and preferably one without noisy lifters!). Doubt it'll ever get lifted and tyred as I have a Suzuki Sierra with 29s, dual batts, barwork, etc etc for the fun stuff, the wagon would just be for daily driver duties, towing the bikes into the bush blah blah.

Anyway in a round about way I'm getting at the fact that I have finally seen the light, can't forget that exhaust burble, the fun of chucking in 4-Hi and fanging around in the mud or on the beach, the all-round awesomeness of it all. Anyone got one for sale ex-Sydney...

Cheers Brendan

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Forgot to mention I might go and have a look at this tomorrow:
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... esult=true

Fairly high KMs but if it checks out I might see how much I can twist them down to...

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 pm

I understand alot. My Subaru L-Series suffered a similar fate with some dumb**** in a big arse 4WD in the city who does even take it off road, hit me also. Typical of the Stupid Ponsy Chardonnay sippers in this city, who think they are better than everyone else. These slow ****ers in this city who make up a majority of Perth drivers should not be on the road cause they a simply retarded. There retarded behaviour is making the Department Planning and Infrastructure slow all the speed limits to unnecessary slow limits.

Anyway mine was a good car has all the mods of a current car. Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Mirrors and most of all was a very nice car to fang around in. So if you your lucky enough to see a 4x4 Leone/Sportwagen for sale i suggested you get it because you will be pleasantly satisfied with it potential and its never die attitude. I miss my old Leone alot its really hard to find a replacment here.

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:14 pm

I would offer the dealer 1500 for that with the extremely high KM(thats the redbook on the model)

If he wont budge and you are keen...get it checked thoroughly and then slug the dealer with getting it up tio speed - for that price I think it would be only fair.

Nice car though...hope all goes well
Rob Forsyth

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Hell yeah its an obsession... So many subaru's... not enough money :(

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:24 am

Ouch Retro, sorry to hear your Suby suffered the same fate! A workmate that was in the car with me got some pics so I'll post em up when I'm at work on Monday.

You're right about the high kms though... usually that'd worry me in relatively small engine but you hear storys of the old EA82s running to anything up to 500,000km. Whether it actually has reciepts for a rebuild is another matter, anyone can say 'reco'd motor'. Plus there's the fact that the rest of the car has done 360,000km too. You can tell it's the kind of car that has been picked up from the auctions for no more than 800 bucks maybe a grand max and I love messing with car salesman's heads so it might be worth seeing what I can screw him down to just for kicks (no offense to any car salesman out there).

Great pic Freddo.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:00 am

Why not hit the auctions in Sydney - they are not that uncommon to find still. Or even your local wreckers might have 1 that has been picked up for scrap metal and they are selling as-is ? I know my local wreckers (PAP Kilsyth) has had a number of L wagons in recent times, complete & registered, for about a grand...

If you can turn up one with MPFI it'd be a bonus too...

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:27 pm

That's always a possibility but instead of buying a dirt cheap dunger this time I wouldn't mind spending anything up to 3k to buy something half decent that I can keep for a bit. My old one had the typical leaky heater core, noisy lifters, had crap paint and a cracked windscreen and no options apart from A/C so I'd really like a nice one this time!

Went for a drive this morning but that had gone, probably for the best unless I could have got it dirt cheap.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm

make sure you get something with 14's though. Such as the one above. You can get them pretty cheap now. $2500 for a car weith 350k is abit steep in my eyes.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Alex wrote:make sure you get something with 14's though. Such as the one above. You can get them pretty cheap now. $2500 for a car weith 350k is abit steep in my eyes.

alex
What have you got against 13' wheels hey!!! Bloody discriminating against us that choose to go 13 inch!!

Jokes aside - I am on the look-out for some 14's too - something a little more dressy than the speedys/rats etc..

Mind you I have got a fair collection now, including some 13 inch contessas/minilites...they were from a mini project but had the wrong wheel nut config - they fit the L series a treat however will have to maybe get the guards puffed out as the tyre may be a little outside them:-D

Thats 4 sets of 13's!!! No more!
Rob Forsyth

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Yep the 14in white steelies do look pretty schmick, but unless they're already on the car when I buy em I doubt I'll bother fitting them. Seems strange to say that but all my effort and cash is put into the Zook (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/4 ... age035.jpg , the red one) so I want this to stay as stock as possible. Haha, yeah right, I bet in a year I'll come back and read what I just said and laugh...

00outback

Post by 00outback » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Nice Zook mate, reminds me of the 88 model one Mum & Dad had awesome little fourby's.

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:31 pm

If you want all the bells and whistles, go for the mpfi D/R 5-speed manual touring wagon. If you can find a good one, that is, most of them have some degree of cancer.:( Then shove an ej into it......:)

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Mate, if you do find an original one good luck finding one that doesnt need a heater core or have noisy lifters. Although both of these things can be fixed pretty easily, it seems to be a common trait shared by these vehicles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

heath

Post by heath » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:48 pm

i thought subys came standard with noisey lifters(haha) any way i'd get rid of the zook an poor the cash into a suby i get mine as far and in some occasions futher than my mates cruisers and lux's. and the best thing is that in the bush it's a beast but when i hit the tar again it's a really nice smooth and quiet road car.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:04 pm

4130warrior wrote:Great pic Freddo.
Thanks, i think so too ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm back!!

I almost strayed. Almost. I actually went across to the (extremely) dark side when about 4 weeks ago I bought a *cough cough* Volvo 240GL wagon. I wasn't going to buy it except for the fact that I got it so cheap after talking the bloke down.

Anyway long story short I saw stevaroo's 91 wagon on here about a week later and started thinking about it. Ended up selling the Ovlov (for a little profit hehe) and tonight went and swapped some cash for Steve's beast!

I just got home from picking it up and as I've got a shitful cold and a crook neck right now I don't even have the inclination to go out and look at it now it's been parked. But suffice to say its an absolute beast. 3in bodylift, 14in black steelies and 27in ATs. Could do with a bit more power as the little EA82 struggles to push the tyres a bit but we'll see how it goes. All the rest of my cash is being pumped into the Zook to get it ready for Fraser Island in 2 weeks time.

First thing when I get back from Fraser is to get it rego'd and then I'll probably start playing with it a bit. A power steer conversion would really go well and maybe even some air con for summer. But I keep thinking if I'm going to go to the trouble of that I should put in another motor with that stuff already on it!

Anyway I'm back so expect the occasional tech question...

:D

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 am

Good work. Does this mean we will see subie segments in the mag now :D
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

4130warrior

Post by 4130warrior » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Haha possibly mate you never know. Although everyone at work is paying out on it so I don't like my chances, but I know they're just jealous. Had a chance to have a decent drive of it today and I'm pretty happy with it. Needs power steering badly to overcome the bump steer from the bigger tyres but that's no surprise. Overall a good buy and I'm confidant it'll serve me well for a while to come.

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 pm

If you need power steer parts , and other bits, you can have them from my old L touring wagon. You just need to pull them yourself before she goes to the scrappers. I'm gonna rip some parts off for spares for my current wagon, but not much.

Return to “Subaru Chat”