My WRX Offroader.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 pm

So the Foz doesn't have the same trailing arm mounts as the Outback? I was thinking of maybe just putting 1" blocks under the X member & standard trailing arm mounts though the Outback ones are only about $55 ea from Subaru........The front seems to have heaps of camber because of the longer GD Impreza swing arms & camber bolts but if I lift the back the wheels tuck under like an old VW lol.
I had a bit of a look last night but can someone tell me the exact legalities of lifting an Impreza in Perth, so far it's only got the 2" higher Foz struts with standard springs??
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

seagull

Post by seagull » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 am

Looking good you old dog ( ! )

MMMM front LSD ~ ! sweet , time for sand drags

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:46 am

daza wrote:Hey D,
Noice rig!

The wheel travels backward as the swingarm travels up, so you can't really center the wheel.
Pic is my wagon with just the Forrie struts and springs and the Outback trailing arm brackets.

The thread is discussion on Trailing arm brackets, part numbers etc.
They should be all you need.
http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=10705
Daza.
:D
Hey Daza, have you got uprated springs, yours seems to be a bit higher than mine & if so how does it ride? Looks great mate!!!
Could you do me a favor & measure from ground to the top of each wheel arch & let me know the height, ta.
Oh, and what size tyres are you running?

Shut up Seagull or I'll drag you behind it like the mangy chunk of goat vomit that you are, lol.

seagull

Post by seagull » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:24 am

Pifft ! , just WORDS ( ~ ! )

ibeforexc

Post by ibeforexc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 am

Your Impreza off-roader is a true thing of beauty. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to build myself a dirty lifted wrx.
Look forward to future pics.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks mate, still waiting on a complete silicone hose kit to come from HK & I'm also looking for a pair of Outback trailing arm brackets...........Then hopefully it'll pass the pits on the 29th.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:57 pm

and then once you have it registered you can fit a 2" body lift and some 215/65 rubber offroad rubber ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri May 22, 2009 2:12 am

Update...........Took it over the pits today %^#&&%$# that's all I can say, they failed it on a missing brake clip on the rear strut (cable ties won't do & I'd forgotten to fit it) & a loose bolt on a ball joint at which point he refused to test drive it (I borrowed a 14mm spanner & tightened it but it was too late by then) while he was under the car he called me down to ask why I had only put a lift (1") in the back & not the front, I explained I had put GD WRX front alloy swing arms in because they are 1cm longer to compensate for the camber adjustment & stop the need for steering knuckle lengthening, it didn't sink in to him that I hadn't raised the rear of the car but lowered the sub frame etc to stop the wheels tucking in & to put the rear wheels back a bit so they don't scrub on the back of the skirts.............So then they decided that I need to send a modification form in to the big boys at Welshpool to get authorization to have the suspension mods AGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.
They also made me take the spare wheel carrier off (2 second job) because they reckoned the angle you can see the tail lights from is not right, I've ordered a set of LED's from ebay & I'll either place them under the top spoiler or in the bumper so I can retain it legally...PITA.
One thing the silly old fart missed was the external boost controller, it's amazing what some black electrical tape will cover lol.
I decided to go with 205/60/16's in the end, some Jap brand street tyres at $140 per corner with a 92 rating, from the drive in soft sand out the back of Kewdale a couple of weeks ago they are pretty good too.
So let's hope the guys at the Mod dept let it pass or it's back to stock struts.
Because it sat with normal tap water in it for 3yrs while it was hiding under a tarp just about everything rotted away, I've had the intake manifold off 3 times in the last 2 weeks trying to fix leaks, what a shit of a job that is.
I've also managed to find a huge 5mm thick bash plate that goes from the front bumper right back to the end of the gear box but I'll fit that after it's regoed.

What do you think up top or in the bumper? I think I prefer under the roof spoiler.

Hose kit in, the pod passed no problems as I'd put a bracket on it, you can see the blue boost controller that I covered in tape hiding under the alloy pipe.

Just washed & ready to go over the pits, I've still got to sort out a better bracket for the front bumper to hold it straighter. Might see if I can borrow a Forester bumper & see if I can get it to fit for better clearance.

These are the alloy blocks that I bought & had cut ($85 for everything you see) the big flat bar was from the scrap bin but I didn't use it & there are still a couple of bits left over.....Thanks to Seagull for doing a bit of machining & some more cuts & letting me use his bench drill to make the holes, I'll get under it & take some snaps of where all the bits went.

GOD

Post by GOD » Fri May 22, 2009 3:55 am

How about putting the extra lights inside the glass? At least there they wouldn't look as obviously tacked on. If not that, I'd be going for under the roof spoiler.

Just out of curiosity, did they give you any grief about the pod filter?

Looks shmicko, btw.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Fri May 22, 2009 8:08 am

Pod passed, because he had a bracket attached.
Crap to hear mate, can you try another place to get it looked at haha :)

EDIT: I think, have the lights in the bumper. Maybe...

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri May 22, 2009 8:39 am

Bugger mate.... That pisses me off when RTA fails ya over small bits which could be nicely being passed.. but these guys cops these stories that "you will fix it" but they never do...

Lights - would look better on bumper bar.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri May 22, 2009 11:43 am

lights - leave the carrier off next time you put it over the pits.

suspension - what a load of shit. unless WA has some really weird laws I dont know about thats absolute crap. You are talking a 1" body lift and a 1" strut lift. I would hate this engineer to see half of our cars up here in QLD :)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Damn unlucky. And I mean un-LUCK-y. If you'd have randomly gotten some other guy then theres every chance you would have just passed no problem at all.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri May 22, 2009 1:12 pm

It's actually a 2" lift as that's how much taller the Foz struts are, all I did was lower the rear X member etc so the wheels didn't tuck in & it brought them back about 7mm as well.
Pod was surprisingly no problem but I had the original system sitting in the back just in case.
If that bolt hadn't been loose there is a possibility they may have passed it but then they had a little discussion under the car & decided it should be put through the higher authority's ASSHOLES!!!!
Stupidly I was going to take tools just in case something was loose but totally forgot.
I removed the carrier & that was no problem, once the lights arrive I'll place them in different positions & see what looks best, I'd rather have it legal.
Yep pretty sure it would have passed at Midland but I stupidly took it to E Perth because the guy who originally inspected all the welds works there............well he did, now he's at Welshpool & because the car was a repairable write off it can only go to a booking center so they can rheem you a new one.........took all my patients no to loose it I can assure you but no point in making it worse for myself, it's all on computer so I can't take it anywhere else as it's flagged now BUGGER!!!!!

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Small update........I took the car to the guys at Welshpool mod dept as I had to go there to take the forms in, they passed the wheel carrier "just" so I've wasted forty odd dollars on led lights & the lift blocks were no problem but they are still considering the GD control arms & Foz struts, hopefully hear back soon, if they want it engineered I'll probably just put the suspension back to standard and get it passed, I won't be going back to East Perth either, asshole No 222 inspector!!!!!

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:38 pm

d_generate wrote:Small update........I took the car to the guys at Welshpool mod dept as I had to go there to take the forms in, they passed the wheel carrier "just" so I've wasted forty odd dollars on led lights
Wouldnt have thought the wheel carrier would be a problem. I would have left it on and just taken the spare wheel off to pass it if they were giving you the shits.
So any idea how long until they give you an answer on the struts and control arms?

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:35 am

Nah Corry no idea on the time frame for the mods, it was the wankers attitude at the pits, he didn't even stand close enough to the car to check the lights or the angle as it was over the pit so I just reversed it back & ripped the whole swing arm with wheel off in one hit as it's easier than undoing the wheel. Even the mods guys reckoned he must have been a bit of a prick without actually saying as much.
Now that I've cut a hole in the floor above the gear box mount captive nut which some tool had actually spun the thread completely out of & put another nut above that there are no more knocks in the front end............Sweet.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 am

Looking good. It'll be great to see it off road once you get through the bureaucracy crap.
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Yeah especially when the hi/lo's fitted with the front LSD & hopefully 4.1 ring & pinion in it, can't wait to do a run with you guys..........oh and the huge bash plate. lol
I may have to stick a smaller turbo on it as the stock TD05 may be a bit laggy, just have to see how it goes, it's got a pile of grunt up top, especially when it hits 5g but not much under 3g.
No word as of yesterdays mail but hopefully soon, not exactly a huge decision but that's red tape for ya.

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm

should go to warwick:) they passed my old liberty wagon with about 30 things i thought it would have failed for. and it had 2" body lift, 3" strut tops with outback suspension:)

hoping i dont get any grief with the b4 as its not even listed on revs as having been in an accident. So that might work in my favour...

good luck with the red tape though...
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

Return to “Subaru Chat”