2010 Diesel Drivetrain shudder

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
suthol

Post by suthol » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

skipalami wrote:Sworn to secrecy on what, however progress is being made resolving the shudder. Can't say any more.
I've done around 3000Km since the glowplugs and fuses were replaced and have experienced no problems yet.

Don't know that they did anything other than the repair because I asked and they said FHI were still working on it at the time.

Surely they must be close to a full resolution with a recall to fix.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 am

MY11OBD wrote:with the shudder almost non existent in these cooler months especially in ACT what will the techs find? Not looking forward to summer if the issue is not resolved by then...
Sounds like it could be a fuelling issue as in a cylinder is being starved or something of the like - or there's pre-detonation which is pretty unusual for a diesel from what I understand.

It could also be the grade of the diesel used. I've been talking to some guys up here at Hotham and I've heard that the new VW diesels don't need the alpine mix due to a cold weather climate system that heats the fuel and that the diesel is so high pressured that a very fine mist is the result in the cylinder thus not needing the alpine mix or additives.
On the other side of the coin I've also heard reports that the trusty old mechanical diesels have been having issues with the new diesels - not running properly, hard starting, poor economy. Apparently it's due to the new diesel mixes that are now coming through our pumps in the last couple of years...

I think subaru need to be looking for several issues that combined are giving the results we've been reading about in this thread. One thing might sometimes be the issue, but more likely than not it will be several - specially with new engine designs.

I'll stick with the tried and tested older subi's. All the best to you all with subaru fixing the issue, they will get there. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 pm

I have my car booked in this Friday a PAK file (update on firmware) is available which supposedly fixes the shudder issue. Oh well its worth a try.
Will update more and see where this leads!

Tiern09

Shudder Issue

Post by Tiern09 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi All,

Been a while since my last update. Took our 2010 Diesel Forester to dealership three weeks ago to have a 'PAK File' uploaded. The dealer told me that Subaru believes this is the solution to the shuddering problem. Touch wood, no shudder problem since the software upload. Will keep you all posted. I have read on this thread some worrying comments regarding the requirement for a new dpf post-100,000km's. Can anyone confirm if this is correct. Would have been nice to have been told this by the dealer when we were looking at buying the Forester!

SambOz

Faulty glow plugs

Post by SambOz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Mess wrote:The check engine light and vdc light are almost certainly failed glowplugs and a blown fuse that goes with it. There are at least two of us who have had that issue. If the glow plugs are replaced, make sure they also replace the relevent fuse.

With regard to the shudder, we picked up the car today after the Japanese engineers had fiddled with it for 8 days. I haven't been sworn to secrecy and I was told they're very confident it is an injector fault. They've replaced all 4 injectors with modified injectors (modifications not specified), are sending them to Denso and are confident the new injectors will fix the problem. Probably won't know for a few months, until the ambient temps get over 20 degrees C as my car hasn't shuddered since March.
APOLOGIES........Can't start new thread yet.

Thanks Mess and others who bought my attention to the glowplug problem. It has been identified today that the glowplugs on No2 and No3 are falling to pieces and causing the VDC & EMI lights to operate.

Hopefully they will be replaced soon.

Anyone with one of the earlier Aus diesel Foresters could be in the same boat I suppose given the prevalence of the fault.

(Ours.......06/2010, ~20,000km on the clock)

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Been told PAK file already loaded and therefore moving onto the next things to try. Dealer is talking to Subaru in Sydney on what next. Today they took the car the whole day ended up playing with the MAP sensor, did a 100km+ test and did not deny that there was no problem. I think they know there is an issue.

The Service man showed me a stack of emails... so they are trying... will update when info becomes avaiable.

Watch this space...

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm

MY11OBD, You still getting the shudders in the cold weather?

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:16 am

The Shudder is not as common in the past few months but does rear its head ever so often. I would say maybe one every 2 to 3 weeks instead of twice daily over summer?

As said service guy said leave with him as they are working with Sydney to find a solution.

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Car picked up on Monday after third visit in couple weeks ... all work waranty.... Data has been logged and sent into Sydney... So its serious something found. Have feeling timming belt has been replaced but not sure.... Need to test myself on weekend and see how it goes...

suthol

Post by suthol » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:06 am

MY11OBD wrote:Car picked up on Monday after third visit in couple weeks ... all work waranty.... Data has been logged and sent into Sydney... So its serious something found. Have feeling timming belt has been replaced but not sure.... Need to test myself on weekend and see how it goes...
Interesting.

I've had no shudder at all since the glowplugs and fuses were replaced which could be coincidental with the way I am now driving the car and the fact that we are in the cooler months at the moment.

I don't believe that anything was done with the ECU while it was in, I did ask and the guy said no so I have to take that on face value.

Pretty sure I've asked before but I wonder if there will be a general recall of the diesels once they find the problem.

poundy

Post by poundy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:47 pm

general recall: I personally would think that this would not make the bar to be recall worthy - it's probably only worthy of a service alert that might get communicated to registered owners, and then you can go get whatever modification done to it is necessary.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:39 pm

These engines have a timing chain not a belt which is good for the life of the engine, so if it was replaced thats a pretty major operation and development

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Not Happy Jan !!

Post by Not Happy Jan !! » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Well I have had the PAK file in for a several weeks now and still having a shudder at times. Getting it at around 1900 rpm this time. However unlike prior to the PAK file being installed you can accelerate out of the shudder as before you had to change down ! Dealer has said another vehicle they have installed it in is having the same problem and Subaru are working on it.

Now the Outbacks clutch has started to shudder when cold ! Master cylinder has been replaced twice due to clicking and still still not fixed. Another new problem to get sorted ! Anybody else getting this ?

Falco80

Post by Falco80 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

I've rolled over 30000k's in my diesel forester since January this year and have not had any major issues since the DPF light issue at 9000k's. I had what felt like the shudder happen twice at around 24000k's, but nothing since. The engine has definately loosened up now and i consistantly get between 900-950k's per tank before filling up. I'm getting fonder of this engine as time goes by, but i'd sure love to be able to get some more torque out of it in the future...:mrgreen:
Dan

07/2010 Forester 2.0D Premium
1979 Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser (Old-school diesel! 8))

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:53 am

I have been running the new PAK for 9 weeks on the Outback with no real shudder (I was an early tester). On the odd occasion it feels like it wants to start shuddering but cant seem to take hold. Can easily accelerate out of it.

My clutch is a pig when cold. Reversing out of my driveway on a cold morning gives me clutch shudder. If I gently slip the clutch for a second or two to get some heat into the plates the clutch shudder disappears.

I must admit, the more time that goes by the better the engine feels. Just ticked over 25000. I regularly get 6L/100km now (Calculated myself with excel), the car reports 5.6 to 5.8.

Not Happy Jan !!

Post by Not Happy Jan !! » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Any updates ?

Falco80

Post by Falco80 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm

35000k's here and no further issues. :D
Dan

07/2010 Forester 2.0D Premium
1979 Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser (Old-school diesel! 8))

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:59 am

Just returned from a Canberra- Brisbane trip. lots of highway driving. On the Sydney- Canberra last leg, I had my first shudder since new. It only did it 3 times before sorting itself. I'll believe it's the EGR valve as I felt the power sag as it kicked in/out and the engine note changed too. Bit like carby heat control on an aircraft.

However, some things were different- the air temp was up, around 23C. I was using the accelerator more decisively than normal too (changed driving style)- I usually ease it on/off, but this time I was engaging in what I call "sales-rep" driving- firmly pushing (but not sharply or 'thumping' it) the accelerator to the floor, which caught the engine 'on the hop' and off boost, even though I was around 2000-2200 rpm. I wonder if it learns your driving style.

The shudder started after I had floored the accelerator- then, almost apologetically, it stopped shuddering the boost spooled up appropriate accelerative force was applied. My wife didn't even notice the shudder, it was quite slight.

May be something to watch as the temp increases, as someone else suggested.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

tasla

Post by tasla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I finally got Subaru mechanic to witness the shudders. He was very surprised and he is apparently checking and describing everything to Subaru Benelux/Europe. I really hope this will have some positive result, as I'm having shudders every day now, sometimes in 4th gear as well.

Over the weekend I tried something different. As soon as the shudder occurred I would engage cruise control and the shudder would quiet down and sometimes disappear. I would alway be in 5th gear going 100km/h or 6th 120km/h (approx. 2000rpm)

Any thoughts?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

tasla wrote:Any thoughts?
The only one I can share is that it's great that you've got a subaru mechanic to see what everyone here has been talking about. Hopefully something will come of it.

Reading over other peoples comments about the shuddering, patrick mentioned the ERG valve thing which got me thinking about other systems in this engine that may have been overlooked, similar to having a vacuum hose disconnected on an earlier subaru - something so small that when finally found you'll wonder why they didn't pick it up earlier.

It will be interesting to see how the ambient air temps effect the diesels as summer approaches. And I wonder if they've taken a fuel sample from Australian suppliers/servos to analyse as our fuels always seem to be different to everyone elses.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”