any help DE-lifting my subi?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:14 pm

oh yeh timmo - ive got a custom made IC - was in the car when i got it. looks like its a side mount prolly from some jap car with just some standard pipe and connectors- works pretty well with the scoop- but as people have said that scoop prolly lead to my sticker. illl get the chance to see how well it goes without the scoop too though.

timmo

Post by timmo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:23 pm

yeah are you running an EA82T or an EJ?
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:38 pm

ea82 with a bolt on turbo an IC

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:53 pm

Ball joints are hell easy, provided you've got access to either a bench vice or a ball joint seperator, or both! Either way they're not any harder than doing, say, a front CV or the like. Car up, wheels off, knuckle off the balljoint and there you are!
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:33 am

Yeah I'll second that - ball joints very easy.

You can borrow a seatbelt off me, I've got a couple of spares or just borrow one from my good wagon. Obviously long term you're going to want to fix yours or replace it!

Worst case scenario for the brake master cylinder....if you need to sway it I've got the one from my old wagon. I paid big bucks (over 200 I think) to have it fully reconditioned. Although really you could just pressure clean it and wipe it totally dry with a rag right before you go for the next inspection. Again long term your going to want to get this fixed up.

Torque steer is a little worrying....you can't really stop that. Thats what front wheel drive Subaru's do and unfortunately it's amplified by putting decent power down and also by having larger diameter wheels. I would imagine you could limit it by replacing your tie rod ends, control arm bushes and radius rod bushes.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:05 pm

When my car went over the pits.... 2nd time in i topok the receipts for the wheel alignment to fix the apparent (torque steer) He took one look at that and signed that off. Could try that... might cost u for the alignment though.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

subgiraffe

Post by subgiraffe » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:56 pm

I've got an L master cylinder and vacuum bost lying in the garage - no use for it as I had an MY and now have a Brumby - yours if you want it - it looks like it's in good nick - pm me

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:03 pm

yeh ive fixed a couple things already - they were just the aftermath of 4x4ing on sunday :p. i had let downt the tyres and nudged one valve to the side and couldnt get it back so i put the cap on and didnt worry bout it. turns out it kept leaking air= torque steer:p
and i dont think theres actually anything wrong with the master cylinder- i think it was just leaking a little from the filler cap from our hill climbs and i didnt clean it up- coz i cant feel any wet leaks now.
also got some ball joints today, ill put em in once i buy a fork tool. seatbelt works - just spools slowly so maybe a grease job, we'll see. and i was gonna get an alignment anyway from the new wheels n stuff.
sorry for the long posts (theres prolly more to come) at least it gives ya something to read lol.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:13 pm

hopefully the wheel alignment receipt will sort your torque steer problems.

I drive my mates monster trucked RX to work the other day. Its been a while and i had totally forgotten how to drive it! hit boost = car moves left 2 feet ;) must look insane from behind
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

subaruesh

flares.

Post by subaruesh » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:41 pm

so did you end up getting flares? can you show pics? I got the same problem with wheels sticking out so I got to do something about it before it'll be too late...I already had one cop having a goood look at my wheels and mine are re-drilled.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:12 pm

just to finish up the experience i got the yellow licky off today.
thnks heaps to andrew helpin me out with some parts- like a borrowed bonnet i painted blue!
i recommend o conner for anyone with a sticker, as the guy that dealt with me was a bit dopey. didnt even know what torque steer was- had to have another inspector explain it to him- wouldnt let me- ignored anything i said. i couldnt even explain what was on the sheet as he couldnt read it.
when he had a quick look under the engine bay he missed the hose that had completely (whoops) come off the IC piping. it was only meant to be loose. he didnt check my seatbelt, and i still got away with the lift kit.
anyways he still had a go at my boost back pressure (no flutter at all), said if it was another inspector u would still have the sticker left on.
anyways im over it. time to put the scooped bonnet back on and think of some more mods to do.

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:21 pm

well done man..
good to se you got off resonably well..
nothing can stop us and our subies;)

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:41 pm

congrats matt.

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Good work dude.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Return to “Subaru Chat”