The weekends spanner spinning adventures

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

The weekends spanner spinning adventures

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:35 am

Coming home the other day my beastie was running a little warmer than normal or comfortable, even on level ground taking it easy, then coming up macquirie pass, which for anyone that doesn't know is about 10km of steep winding road with no where really to pull over until 3/4 of the way up, within the first few corners the temp gauge was already upto about 3/4 which is about 100 degrees, from there it only got worse, a few corners later it was within 1-2mm of the red section and sat there for the rest of the way up, I'm a little scared to think what temp that is.

I was waiting for a hideous explosion with clouds of steam and oil smoke any second but it never came.

Once I got to level ground the temp started to come back down again to an almost normal level, but I decided to declare that engine dead and the EA81 from my EJ project car was going in, so thats how the weekend was spent.

Saturday:
Got home from work saturday keen to get stuck into it, when I get a phone call from my brother who was coming to help me, "I'm half way up the pass, out of fuel and stuck in the middle of the road, HELP!!" so went to rescue him, had dinner while the car coolled, THEN we got stuck into it.

Took us a little while to figure out how we were going to lift the engines with out a hoist but once we had that sorted we pulled the engine from the "EJ tourer to be" in about 2 hours and called it a night at about mid night.

Sunday:
Now that we had things worked out we had the engine out of the white beastie in about 1.5 hours, then we had to swap the intake manifold, electronic dizzy and flywheel and clutch on to the new engine, which all went smoothly till we tried to take the torque converter off and we realised someones been here before, 2 bolts came out nice and easy, the other 2 were not so easy, 1 was completely round and the other was severely mangled with only 3 recognisable sides, after trying a few different approach's the one that worked was using my brothers metal chisels, once he remembered he had those the torque convert was off within an hour.

So flywheel on, clutch and pressure plate on, double check all little hoses, wires, etc, all good, now to put the engine in.

Took about 3-4 hours to get the engine in, wired up, hoses connected, etc.

The moment of truth, lined up the dizzy to where I though it should be timing wise (there was the possibility of being out by a tooth or 2), double checked everything for the forth time, looks good, hold breath, turn key......WOOHOO fired and ran like a dream first go :D Don't you love it when that happens.

The transplant was a success :D
Total work time about 9 hours

Haven't taken it for a run yet, thats todays adventure, but it does go up and down the driveway very nicely.

NOTE: the funny shaped fat bolt that holds the front of the diff is the perfect clutch alignment tool, always keep one around.

Observation: Why is it whenever you pull apart 2 cars you struggle to find enough parts to even put 1 of them back together? :roll:

Jordan

BRUMBERTY

Re: The weekends spanner spinning adventures

Post by BRUMBERTY » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:09 am

BaronVonChickenPants wrote: NOTE: the funny shaped fat bolt that holds the front of the diff is the perfect clutch alignment tool, always keep one around.
That is a good tip!
Thanks,
Matt

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:55 pm

and tell us you know your radiator don't need looking at too

clutch aligning tool...now that is real clever

this was for the Lseries 5 speed not the MY I take it ?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Well I've done a bit of driving with the new motor and it still has the same issues, the main ones being:
*Running warmer than it should
*Hideous vibration

I have come to the conclusion that running warmer is because the radiator is probably clogged with chemiweld, although this engine does run a little cooler, spare radiator is next approach.

The vibration I have narrowed down to either the flywheel or pressure plate, it's the only thing in common between the two engines and it gets marginally worse when you push the clutch in.

New Issue:
Rings are rooted, use 1.5 litres of oil in 25km, it was like a mobile smoke screen, more oil and some Nulon stop smoke seems to have fixed that for now though.

Issues resolved:
Old engine needed valve stem seals, this one is fine in that department.

New engine has more power, at least it was worth it for that, I still have to put in my new regapped plugs, hopefully wil gain a little more with that.

Jono: Yes it was for the L series clutch with MY flywheel, pressure plate, etc.

The MY clutch ID is only 3mm smaller than the L clutch, so it should work for that too.

Jordan.

Return to “Subaru Chat”