Subaru XT6/Alcyone VX

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
RetroLover

Subaru XT6/Alcyone VX

Post by RetroLover » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:25 pm

I was wondering does anyone own a Subaru XT6/Alcyone VX? Its the model that came out before the Alcyone SVX. Its the model with the ER27 2.7L NA Flat6 engine variant.

I someone does own this car, could you tell me a little about it (how it drives, maintenance costs, and general information), Thanks.

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:42 pm

I know someone who does.

There are only a couple of these in the country that I know of.

RHD ones are very hard to come by. These only sold in Japan. LHD ones were fairly popular in the US of A and most of those have rusted away by now. There is a strong following there at http://subaruxt.com/.

You might like to visit there and you will find a worldwide following of both 4 and 6 cylinder variants of what we know as Vortex.

Our Blue Votex is on there as well - see if you can find it.
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I know a bloke who has a few ER27 motors and associated bits and pieces if you wanted to build a 6 cylinder Vortex.
Settlement Creek Racing

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Thats a very good website on Subaru XTs. Could'nt see your blue XT though. Damn i love those old cars, those Subaru designs have got to be the pinnacle of 20th century cars, along with the Toyota AE86s.

If Subaru got there shit together in there design team and built cars like this again with a 21st century twist instead of these current hideous creations which looks like a merge of a BMW 1 Series and a Mazda 3. I would be putting a deposit straight away down for one. There is a market out there for these older looking cars still. This is proven by the example of the DeLorean DMC-12. These cars have gone back into production in 2008 and they are selling very strong, so there is a market out there for these vehicles. So If someone from the Subaru Design team is reading this, please reconsider your design for future cars, there is a part of the market which has been lost for decades now.

But back to XTs. On another thread i was talking about a white FWD XT for sale in VIC not so long ago. I was nearly going to purchase it, i was going to drive it back across the Nullarbor. But then i was thinking about the XT6 variant with the larger engine. Which i might consider buying one, thats if i can find one. Now ive just got another question, did the 6cylinder variant ever came in a 5sp manual? Just wondering cause ive heard they only came in a 4sp electronic Automatic transmission. Thanks.

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:I know a bloke who has a few ER27 motors and associated bits and pieces if you wanted to build a 6 cylinder Vortex.
Sounds like a good idea. Where abouts in the country is this guy? Re-Bulding a Subaru XT6/Subaru VX would be a difficult task some parts just dont exsist. You'll have to get them fabricated somewhere. Thanks for the word though. When i spoke to some newer subi fans a while ago there mind would go blank if i asked something about the old ER27 motors. Its good to know there are a few people out there with the knowledge of these older Subarus.

chriSTIan

Post by chriSTIan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 pm

I know where there is a 2.7 in perth

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 pm

chriSTIan wrote:I know where there is a 2.7 in perth
i saw a white one the other day in applecross...

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Not as easy as you might think.

The engine is longer (DUH!!!) and the car has a different radiator support which is further forward.

Having said that - have a look at frankenwedge on that site. It has an EJ33 3.3 litre 6 out of an SVX stuffed in there.

I think the only other XT6 in the country to the one that I know of is in Perth somewhere.

Have a look here for our project.
Dave Hill

And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the XT6 was never delivered here in Australia. I haven't heard of a grey import one either. But there may be some converted ones I guess. The XT6 was a totally different animal to the Vortex though.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Dead right - never came here at all.

The one I know about was personally imported from Japan a couple of years ago.

There are a few in NZ. Mostly because of their freer second hand import regs.

The only place they sold RHD XT6s new was in Japan.
Dave Hill

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:49 pm

Funny reading your comments re Subarus current designs - I was at the local Subie dealers a few weeks back and saw an old school mate signing up for a new WRX and he was telling the dealer it was the first car he'd ever bought without a test drive !!

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 pm

DavesB4 wrote:Not as easy as you might think.

The engine is longer (DUH!!!) and the car has a different radiator support which is further forward.

Having said that - have a look at frankenwedge on that site. It has an EJ33 3.3 litre 6 out of an SVX stuffed in there.

I think the only other XT6 in the country to the one that I know of is in Perth somewhere.

Have a look here for our project.
The ER27 engine was a tight fit in the engine bay of the XT some modification had to be done to free up some space like using electrohydraulic steering over the standard power steeing. Those photos of the project, Damn that is nice i want that subaru.. alot. I would rather buy that over a current STi. So there is one in Perth somewhere has anybody seen it? Ive probaly seen it before somewhere, and assumed it was a standard XT. So you can get them imported from Japan. I might just do that if i can located a good one that is RHD.

Now ive got a question are all ER27 for the Subaru XT6/Subaru VX engines have a 4sp Auto, or where there some 5sp manual ones built????

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:29 pm

steptoe wrote:Funny reading your comments re Subarus current designs - I was at the local Subie dealers a few weeks back and saw an old school mate signing up for a new WRX and he was telling the dealer it was the first car he'd ever bought without a test drive !!
Thats just my opinion on the latest Subaru designs, there will be some who agree in what i suggested and there will be some who disagree. I drove the latest WRX it justed seemed it lost its character a bit over the old 2.0L turbo engine from the previous subaru. It is a good built car and all im not suggesting that it is not. But the newer Subaru designs have somewhat lost there cult car status they had once a while ago a bit.

maudsland

Post by maudsland » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:12 pm

I had one a XT6 got it from a freind who imported it out from japan, registered it as a 4 cyl, ( don't ask how or i might have to kill you,) currently it is sitting at ipswich on a rack with a WRX motor and box in it, original motor sitting next to it.
Thierry

Return to “Subaru Chat”