New Subaru Owner that needs a little help!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tee gee

New Subaru Owner that needs a little help!

Post by tee gee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi There, I'm a chicky in Brisbane, and I bought a Subaru Liberty Wagon 1993 GX on Monday. Auto, AWD. It's just standard, but I have to tow a trailer, and the back of my car looks sort of low?? But I looked at other ones on the internet and they look low too.. Will I have any problems towing?

Also I think my fuel tank float, or the fuel gauge is a bit funny, I've done 180km and it says I only have under half a tank left!! And sometimes it shoots right under empty, then slowly goes back up.. HELP!!! I'm worried I'll run out of fuel in the city! :???:

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Heh congratulations on your buy of this Liberty, Sounds good.. Its normal for them to be "low" in rears, if you're going to tow a trailer everyday basics I suggest you to upgrade to Kings heavy duty rear suspensions and will handle better than before..

Fuel Gauge... is common problem with Liberty - on the sensor unit is at fault - they're poor quaility contacts inside it, a lot of people here tried cleaning, sand it back so on and never get good results as the problems comes back in couple of weeks. You have two choices - get new one but the price is............ $$$$$! Since you have AWD, there is 2 sensors inside the tank (left and right) and will cost you around $500 to replace.
2nd choice is to rely on your fuel light & kilometres, every time you fill up at the servo you should reset the ODO button on the dash, and for EJ22 Liberty should last upto average 550kms So if you reach 500-525kms its time to re-fuel soon...
I rely on mine with this option, (when I go beyond 200kms it drops down to Empty) mine comes on at around 520 - 540kms when the light comes on, and normally lasts me for another 60-80kms depending the conditions (highway/city etc). I managed to run to empty at 665kms once and had fuel can with me.

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm

good on you TG, sounds like a good thing. for towing i reckomend the king springs. i have them on aTouring Wagon, and tow cartrailers and box trailers no worries. and sits flat in the corners too. and does good jumps.
highly reccomended

is this ur first subi? got a photo to put on too
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

I drive a newish outback and I also do this, mostly because I can get halfway through the E and still have a few km to go - so I just go on the trip meter.

However you should remember that when you're towing you'll chew through the dino-juice alot quicker - especially with a blocky, unaerodynamic load in the trailer. Or even an empty trailer, as I found out the other night. I'm going to lose at least 50km from this tank because of one trip! heh.
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:38 am

Hey, Thankyou so much for all yor help!! It's great!! :) AlpineRaven, your advice was awesome.
Yes it is my first Subaru, and I like it very much..
Will my car be ok to tow, until I get king springs, won't it cost a little to fit them, unless there's someone here in Brisbane that woulde LOVE to do it for me cheap! haha

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 am

Also my car didnt' come with a Users Manual, and was wonderin if anyone knew where I would get one? :)

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:22 am

a question to the lib owners,is there by any chance TG may have air bag suspension? if so this might be answer as to it being low in the back.

if not go with the king spring upgrade.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:50 am

Post up a pic TG :)
The kings springs are really just an upgrade you could do later down the track but until you get them... We don't know how low it is, so a pic may help.
My shocks/springs are shagged, but it still tows well...?
I've got a pic in members ride, if you'd like to compare.

If you have time on your hands, you may try cleaning your fuel senders, didn't work for me :( haha.

showthread.php?t=8004

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 am

Here's some photos of my car
Attachments
Subarug.jpg
Subarug.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Subaru.jpg
Subaru.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 2760 times

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Very nice!! I like those Wheels!
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:54 pm

yeah he didn't even tell me it had mags!! It's a great car, I've owned manuals all my life, so I was a bit off with buying an auto, but now I can text and drive even better than I could driving a manual!! haha
I put the trailer on, it doesn't go down much when it's on, which is good, but I'm worried about driveways etc.. I'm a Dog Groomer so there's some odd driveways out there.. Thats why I'm asking so many questions cos I'll be towing a trailer 6 days a week.

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:03 pm

also i went to the mechanic at the service station and he said i don't have the air bag suspension

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:52 pm

nice clean lookn gen 1! go the 3spoke mags ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:53 pm

so it's good for $3000

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:11 pm

hi tee gee, nice looking wagon you have there,

towing your (dog wash?) trailer should be fine behind that car, the high tow ball compensates for the car being low. if it has no air bags it should be fairly cheap and easy to put king springs in, maybe see how it goes for a few weeks the way it is before rushing out and doing it.

As Alpine said you should get at least 550km per tank maybe a little less towing around town.
the fuel lights are pretty spot on if they are working,(orange square just under gauge) you will still have around 10l in the tank when it come on, if you are not sure through a 20l jerry can in the back, that will be enough to get you to the next servo if need be.

bryan

p.s welcome to the forum!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks so much Bryan!! I'm getting quite addicted to this forum!!

Everyone is soo helpful :)

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:56 pm

fulcrum make king springs...you can buy direct from them for about $155 a pair from my rusty memory...if you were near ipswich i could throw them in for you cheap
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:17 pm

That what we're here for! To help everyone out and we do love our Subarus!

These mags suits this wagon, ah now I can see where you're coming from that you're towing all the time... Yes I would go for Kings heavy duty for rears but for now I think the standard suspensions should do the job. Good thing about that wagon its AWD and has better handling...

Keep us updated!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

tee gee

Post by tee gee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:57 pm

[quote="chubby37"]fulcrum make king springs...you can buy direct from them for about $155 a pair from my rusty memory...if you were near ipswich i could throw them in for you cheap[/QUOTE

I live in Brisbane, so Ipswich isn't far at all!! WOW! This is great.. I once drove a ute that had King Springs in it. I didn't like them, as being a lady (with lady lumps! haha:)), and going over bumps and potholes etc,it was HELL!!! :twisted: and hurt my back, it was SO bouncy, but a hard bouncy.. Mine wouldn't be like that would they?

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:02 pm

no no..kings H/D springs in a lib will be firm but not bouncy....that tends to be with big 4x4 trucks...i can be contacted 2 ways billyterry@optusnet.com.au or billterry43000@live.com.au ..
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Return to “Subaru Chat”