birdsville

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
wrxtc

birdsville

Post by wrxtc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:18 pm

can anybody tell me the last time they drove to birdsville and what the road was like this time of year also cold /hot .

and about how long do you reckon from sunshine coast round about 20 hours???

appreciate if you could let me know ta
[SIGPIC][http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7845/003ic7.jpg[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]

grewi

Post by grewi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Was in Birdsville late June, did the trip in 3 easy days from Aratula via Thargomindah, Ballera, Arrubury and Betoota. Direct route via Dalby / Windorah is all bitumen apart from 280 km which was good when we were on it. (about 1800km). Expect cold nights and nice days. PM me if you would like more details. Cheers, Bill
2010 Forester X
2005 Forester XT
1982 4x4 Coupe

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 am

June last year.
Did Bris to Charleville. Charleville to Birdsville....so two solid days...unless your going to go two up and drive through the night. If so make sure you have a good bullbar, stacks of roo's around Quilpie.
The dirt bit, birdsville development road was in real nice shape. Nice and wide but the road workers were everywhere. Yep, it was cool, so pack some warm gear.
Some road pics for you -
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 am

what are we doing in brisbane again??????

lets go!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 am

Ok. Your shout for fuel ;)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 pm

good point ;) I finally managed to clear my credit cards last week!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm keen. Just need to finish the van. Well actually I have to start it before I finish it.

wrxtc, we need photos if you do this trip.

dibs

Post by dibs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:04 am

gday guys
shes got this dream to go there .supose il take her one day but it will be a wile yet. got to do upgrade on my brumbi first.
plus we look like buying a house in landsborough.to do this were selling 2 acres at glenwood n i gota slow down on buying subies lol.top setup this new house .its got double lockup under house to store wrx.3 bay garage/workshop 20mts away from house , of road parking for trucks ,um i think its got a bathroom and kitchen and bedrooms hahaha.
when we move in we wil post pics

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wrxtc

Post by wrxtc » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:41 am

wow thanks guys those pics are awesome so i am thinking you camped anyplace on side of road or were there places to stay even though i do prefer to camp anyplace on side of road.
i have travelled all of this side of australia and all through the middle but i never did birdsville and its my yearning to go there and have a bourbon and coke in the pub., i love them old pubs, lions den, daly waters.
hm gotta love that comment on from hubby about the house we bought hey he reckons hes setting up an intercom in the shed to house and that way he can call me up for coffee etc, he knows the answer he will be getting lol.
thank you so much guys ,hey so i am also figuring you do not need a four wheel drive to get to birdsville.???? it is not looking like it ,gord those pics have realy made me want to go now. wonder how long it will take to get dibs to pull his finger out. cheers you guys.
[SIGPIC][http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7845/003ic7.jpg[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:53 am

I camped on the stock route just out of town at Charleville, I believe it was on the Ward river.And on the banks of the diamantina river just out of town at Birdsville. Actually where they keep the horses for the race.

wrxtc

peoples

Post by wrxtc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:11 pm

yeah well i am wishing that we could get together a team to all go as in a convoy , trouble is nobody actualy gets it together, i reckon the site should make a date sometime that we can all take a week off work and all go to the birdsville pub , dead set how good would a pic of all the subarus taken out the front of the pub look at birdsville.

and mr dibs needs a holiday severaly ?.its a real shame a date next year could not be made and we all set our sights on it and do the deed.

lets us know your thoughts :)

Return to “Subaru Chat”