Brumby fuel tank capacity

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Malc

Brumby fuel tank capacity

Post by Malc » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:56 pm

The fuel tank has a reported capacity of 55 litres but I have ever only filled it up to 38 litres max. This was when the needle was almost on empty and was filled slowly until the petrol gun clicked off and fuel gauge read full. Is this unusual? I got 484km off of that tank of 38L at 7.9L/100km (highway cruising) and filling up less would be beneficial. I've never wanted to run the tank dry for fear of clogging fuel system with gunk. Would this problem be due to a faulty fuel gauge?

BTW did anyone see the story TT did tonight with people filling their tanks up way above their fuel tank capacites because the pump was dodgy?That is people weren't overfilling their cars they were just getting ripped off.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 pm

The tank in my MY Wagon is 55 Litres, I've pushed my like a little to far and I know for a fact that it's 55L :oops: , I only use shell or bp unless desperate and have always used exactly what I was expecting.

Jordan.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:17 pm

Mine is only 45 Litres in the brumby. I know this for sure as well. :oops:

Regards Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:47 am

Have you got the short or the long tank? I've seen different tanks in MY wagons. I found out the hard way - the 4wd donor for my coupe had a short tank and the coupe had the long... anyways that short tank is now in the (dead) Hatchie, and I found a long tank.

Back when my coupe was boring I put nearly 60L in it! Since making it AWD, I've not gone past about 42L.

Gardiner

Post by Gardiner » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:14 pm

Gees i better actually check how big mine is!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:53 pm

I have put in more than the 55 litres, closer to 58 or 59 litres and that was like sput, sput, and pushing empty Brumby to servo at night twice. The gauge indicated a needle thickness below the empty mark, pretty accurate I thought, but their characteristics do change - mine has in the past two weeks

And Malc , cruise control up and running ?

Malc

Post by Malc » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:47 pm

jono wrote: And Malc , cruise control up and running ?
Yeah got it working. Gave up on fitting the throttle linkage correctly so i just put it on the only way i knew how. Seems to be holding together so far.
Installed an mp3 player and later blew my old 5W speakers so i am waiting until i go home so i have the tools to install the new ones I bought. Got new tyres the other day and apparently the left rear rim was buckled so it was changed with the spare rim and now i have 1 black and 3 silver rims on the brumby.

Any adverse effects of running your car dry?

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:56 am

Sorry to hijack the post Malc but how hard is it to convert tank sizes? Because an extra 15L sounds good to me.

Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Good to hear the cruise control up and running

No harm done to carby fed engine running dry, just kill ignition when engine stops to prevent dry electric pump running on and on and on

Do it too often in an efi system and the pump may just die on you.

I thought all Gen II Brumby tanks would be the same 1979 to 1992

Tank swap looks easy enough but would not attempt uinless you really know you only have 45 litre tank

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Lets just say I am positive :oops:
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

Return to “Subaru Chat”