Buggy Sand Rail

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
D3V1L

Buggy Sand Rail

Post by D3V1L » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Hey guys youve all heard about and seen various pictures of my buggy from a few months ago now.
basically we used it for a bit, then it started playing up and getting a little bit difficult to deal with, and the clutch started slipping. so i lefft it in matataks back yard and sort of forgot about it for prolly around 2 or 3 months now

so now that ive got the motivation back, and some money, and the withdrawal symptoms of not having a subaru in my posession ive decided to convert my buggy to an EJ16 MPFI powerplant

The origional motor was a VW 1600 of the early 60's vintage,but it sported dual port super flow heads, a small stroker kit and a 12 volt generator system, max power was about 45 HP (a little bit more then stock)
The gearbox is a swing axel variety, with hardened keys and a few other minor adjustments to make it stronger ....good ol 4 on the floor

since ive had it ive raised it by adjusting the torsion bars, so the ass end sits a bit higher then it did, burnd out a clutch, screwed up the carby, over heated it when brenny v's brother broke the fan belt and kept driving it, and hit many trees

The plans are, and ive collected basically all of the parts now, just waiting for delivery of the adaptor kit and custom flywheel, and trying to sort out the wiring harness

the engine that i will be using is an EJ16 MPFI, out of a 1997 Impreza sports wagon, has a whisker under 70 kw, and plenty of torque. it has basically twice the power the current VW motor has:P. to make it fit though without loosing clearance i need to either chop the sump and bring it a lot higher, or make a dry sump and scavenger pump setup...i dunno which is cheaper yet ill decide during the week..it wont stop me getting it driving,,, just cant go off flat roads or sand caus the sump will collect everything in its way
and a custom exhaust thats tight and nimble, maybe use the factory manifold, chopped up to sit much higher, and invert it so it comes out the front of the motor(back of buggy) and smash a cannon or something on it

ive purchased a standard friction plate for the clutch, and had the pressure plate upped a little bit to cope with the extra torque. i didnt want to put in a 4 puk ceramic racing clutch just yet untill i know what the gearbox can handle and what it cant handle.

ive mounted the radiator, was not easy finding a spot for it, as it kind of gets in the way doesnt matter where its put, but ive settled for a spot directly behind the seats, in front of the gearbox, so the water pipes are still as low as i can get them before i need to get a booster water pump.

next thing i did was extra supporting of the gearbox mounts, and installed and strenghtened a performance buggy g'box bracing kit, including all new polyurethane bushings and all that crap. i needed to do a lot of strengthening to this because the motor in this setup will not have an engine cross member,,,the engine basically bolts to the box and hangs there...just like the VW motor, if it presents as a problem then i will think about adding an engine x member in the future to support it a bit more

started redoing the entire electrical system, and it will include many more lights, a stereo, and some tail/clearance lights for night time driving, and a couple of guages, as the new motor will need to have temp and oil lights etc etc so it can be monitored.

thats basically it for the moment, only just started the conversion so ill keep posting updates as it all happens, im hoping to have it up and running by next weekend, but thats provided i can get the wiring sorted and the adaptor kit gets here on time.

should be a whole lot of fun when its done, as it was a bag load already with the VW motor in it. looking foreward to it :D

heres just some of the photos i got recently of it after it got a lick of paint as well, just for your vieweing pleasure

dave

the old motor comming off

no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm

went up to see subarino dave today. and we sat down and smashed out the wiring harness. i mean....dave smashed out the wiring harness....i just stood there in awe as he worked his majic inside a rather small amount of time. cant thank him enough.

got fuel pump sorted as well so everything now is ready waiting for the adaptor kit to arrive so it an alll go in

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:02 am

Good to hear its all coming together mate.

Would love to see it going when it does.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:31 pm

minor update

wiring harness and loom complete and in the buggy running and tested
fuel system has been completed

only things im waiting on are the adaptor kit (due 3 days ago) half of an alternator bracket if anybody has one and connecting up the cooling system and she will be driving

then the sump and exhaust..but that can wait

dave

no more subarus

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Looking good Dave.

If you need any exhaust bits, I've got a cat-back 2" exhaust for a 2wd Impreza sitting here that you can have. It's heading for the scrap bin otherwise.

Dane.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 pm

unfortunatley the exhaust cant be factory, ive got factory impreza headders reversed....works....modified them a bit but needs to be more custom and more compact to improve ground clearance

actually on second thoughts...i need 2 " piping for something else...i will take the exhaust system if u dont mind :D

where bouts do u live? and when can i come collect:D

dave
no more subarus

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:27 pm

PM sent

(10 characters)

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 am

I have one question , it might sound really stupid , where the radiator is , how is air going to get to , to cool it if it is behind the seats. Or am i missing a flow point . the fans can only draw so much air , and i thought it should be as clean air as possible. If i have missed something and making a fool of myself , i am sorry . And please point out what i have missed.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:32 am

you are right rick but the liberty radiators are pretty efficient and the fans a bloody good!! brumbyrunner has the fans in the tray of his race car and the fan hardly come on!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 am

your spot on captin obvious..... its an ej22 radiator for an ej16 engine...so my theory is that it should be enough to drag the air through and keep her cool

there was nowhere else i could fit it....so it had to go there...if it doesnt work ill get another 2 fans and put them on the front.... as co said...those fans blow a gale

dave
no more subarus

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm

update

the adaptor kit came while i was away for work so i slapped it together today :D

finished the cooling system, wiring and all associated stuff and fired her up for the first time in nearly 2 years!!

started first crank...idles perfect, revs perfect....

alli have to do now is accellerator cable, fix a couple of minor water leaks, put in a fuel filter and take for a test drive!!!

also need to weld on a muffler to make it a bit quieter :D

dave

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/30 ... good-times
no more subarus

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:20 pm

vid doesnt work. lookin good bud. love the way the pod site straight out the top- kinda like wackybug

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:32 pm

the video sound has failed neway...shoots fireballs :)...prolly caus it doesnt have an 02 sensor yet and runs a bit rich

dave
no more subarus

Cam

Post by Cam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:05 pm

You might find that the motor starts to get a bit hot before coolant starts flowing through, due to thermostat being there and originally designed for a shorter route. Had to move the thermostat to the top on the van...

Thought about bigger tyres to lift the sump out the dirt?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:51 pm

looks good David....good rad setup....just gotta put heaps of coolant in there...

ps....soz i couldnt get more dirty with ya today, you know what its like....cant get the hillfiger dirty!! ahaha

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:07 pm

took it for a drive today...LOVE IT

but clutch needs to be upgraded in a megga way.....freespins....annoyed....very....another $600 for 4puk ceramic and pressure plate:(

and i have to rerout the cooling lines....motor cant suck from the top of the radiator..ahaha...causes minor issues

dave
no more subarus

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Here ya go dave.

http://www.sandscene.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=820

Clutch and pressure plate kit in perth for $300

What it is :New stage 2 pressure plat with 4 puck clutch
Where is it : Perth
How much is it: $300 for both
When can you buy it : now

This is a Kennedy Engineering 200mm Stage II Presure Plate. Works good in well hopped up VW sand buggies and most other competition VW uses. It also comes with a Kennedy Engineering 200mm 4 Puck clutch 4 Pad Clutch Disc. Used also to gain better adhesion over organic. The 4 Pad is specially lightened to reduce the effect of inertia while shifting. Not recommended for street because of harsh engagement.

PM or email

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:21 pm

cheers for that!! exactly what i just ordered through vee dub centre...i might grab that one instead..soo much easier :D

just gotta sign up to the site so i can view the add:P

dave
no more subarus

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 pm

thanx corrie!!! that clutch kit is mine!!..absolutley stoked u found that...saved me lots of money :D

check back for updates soon ;)

dave
no more subarus

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Chris (the guy you are getting that from), is the owner of that forum. He has a shop in malaga where he builds buggies. Last I heard he had enough work to keep him going for a couple of years so wasnt taking on any more work. He is a good guy to deal with, very helpful. He has done a few EJ > VW conversions so if you need any advice ask him.

Return to “Subaru Chat”