subaru brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Suby T

subaru brumby

Post by Suby T » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Hiya folks,

on the lookout for a subaru brumby ute, any pit falls in buying one. What should i best look out for in buying one? What are the prons & cons of driving the brumby ute. Not used in off road just round town & used for transporting large items like furniture & alike. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

hack92

Post by hack92 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Hii have just finished doing one up for my sons first car he is wrapped in it. I dont think you could go wrong buying one there very easy to work on, reliable, great on fuel, still look great for there age. Not so sure about carrying to much weight in the back, there is quite a bit of room in the back for a small ute. Im a tradesman and find them big enough to carry my light work gear when I borrow the ute from my son. I have a hilux dual cab but any chance and I will take the brumby they are just great fun to drive. Good Luck on getting one. I'm looking for another one to do up for for my daughter.

Suby T

Post by Suby T » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 am

Cheers hack92,
i did however forget to mention i am only of small stature for a guy. 4ft9 or 144cm.Even with the seat forward would i still have problems reaching the clutch & pushing it flat to the floor? Is it legal to modify the pedals for short people i wonder? The things ya gotta think off when your a little fella. Thankyou kindly.

kona480

Post by kona480 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Suby T wrote:Cheers hack92,
i did however forget to mention i am only of small stature for a guy. 4ft9 or 144cm.Even with the seat forward would i still have problems reaching the clutch & pushing it flat to the floor? Is it legal to modify the pedals for short people i wonder? The things ya gotta think off when your a little fella. Thankyou kindly.
i am 160cm and i need a cushion on the seat to be at a comfortable driving height.
I think your problem would be more seat hight than reaching pedals.
I don't think brumby's are made for short people like us.

Suby T

Post by Suby T » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:29 am

kona480 wrote:i am 160cm and i need a cushion on the seat to be at a comfortable driving height.
I think your problem would be more seat hight than reaching pedals.
I don't think brumby's are made for short people like us.
Cheers kona480.

Hmmm i've jumped some big hurdles in my time so i guess this is no different. If its not meant to be, well its not meant to be. At least reaching pedals & seeing over the steering wheel in an auto is easier (even with a cushion on the seat)

Thanks guys....

Happy & safe Easter.

tex

Post by tex » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:05 pm

It is always possible to change seats or modify the seat rails rather than permanently use a cushion (safer too) But you maybe able to jump in someones from here and go for a drive with them, It does come across as feeling a bit low in the seat but my friends think its to small to drive or at least not big enough!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey all,

I have a Brumby and I'm 180cm. Efficient and holds a lot. Very light car. A can fit 650kg's of turf in the back or a cubic meter or top soil without geometry problems with steering and CV's.

I do close to 50,000k's a year and am currently averaging 6.5km per litre on the open road with the EA82. I run premium (98 octane) with valve lube and Wynns additive each change.

My big mates squeeze in the passenger side just. I have a mate who is a Prison guard and there is not mush room for me in the passenger seat. Otherwise an average size person can fit comfortably.

The seats are comfortable. I can drive 5 hours at a time without needing to get out. I live in Lake Macquarie but work in Central NSW so travel long hours twice a week.

Suspension is soft and the 4wd system is efficient and works well. CV's are cheap enough and easily replaced. You need to replace them every 70,000 to 100,000 k's on average.

The headlights are probably the poorest part of the package which illuminate like tealight candles in a peanut butter jar under water. These are rectified by running separate relays or replacing (which I haven't done yet) so I have driving lights instead.

Don't know what else I can say.

Bronze.

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:36 pm

mine is 4 sale awsm car fun to drive on and off road but then again mine is far from std lol
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

openflame06

Post by openflame06 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:38 pm

My parents have one for sale. 91 model i think $2500 with rego. But they are in Taree NSW so its a bit far for you to go.

You can always change your seat and even pedals if needed mate, just need to talk to an RTA certified engineer to make sure its done legitimately (and safely).

My parents have had brumbys and touring wagons for quite some time and they have been very reliable cars. Occasionally you might get one with a blown gasket or something but thats not really that hard to fix.

wrxtc

Post by wrxtc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:51 pm

yep and we just swapped ours for a lib ,coulda bought ours for four grand ,i had to laugh at the headlights we have another brumby and when we go out at nite at times i hang out the window as ajoke and shine the torch on the road ,them lights are crap and cant wait till dibs does something about them cheers good luck looking .honestly sunshine coast would have to be the home of brumbys we havea sticker on ours saying its a brumby thing just cant wait to see some one else with the same
[SIGPIC][http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7845/003ic7.jpg[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”