My WRX Offroader.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
d_generate
General Member

My WRX Offroader.

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:37 am

Haven't been here much lately but some may remember me posting some pics of the old dunger that sat under a tarp for over 3yrs.....Well it's painted & running now & booked in for the 29'th for rego, thanks for the help to get it going again seagull.

I've fitted Forrester struts all round & GD alloy front arms so I don't need to mess around with steering extensions or blocks (atm).

Took me ages finding all the bits after 1 house move & 4yrs of stuff being moved around but finally got there.

It still needs a few minor things done like a new silicone hose kit (on order) as it sprung a leak so I may as well replace the whole lot for peace of mind, also waiting on a guy over east to get back to me with some Foz parts to sort the ass end out & get the rear wheels further back & fix the camber a bit, if not I'll just get some 1" blocks made up, I still need to fit the skirts & put a standard exhaust system back on it too.

About the only things left of the original car will be the engine, front rails, firewall & floorpan, there are bits from over 20 different cars on it so far ............Five alone on the bonnet lol.

I've also got a Hi/Lo 93 Lib box to go in & I've just bought a brand new front LSD to shove in it also so I'll sell the 4.1 set up that's in it once it's fitted to cover cost of the LSD.

I'm still undecided on tyres yet as I have 2 sets 1/. the GT Foz 16's with 205/60 tyres or 2/. 02 WRX 17's with 235/45's......same rolling diameter & nice & fat but I'd need to mod the wheel carrier to fit the latter spare because of width & offset.

Well here's some snaps for your pleasure
Hope to get on some Wedge type cruises with you guys once it's going.

As I bought it over 4 yrs ago.

AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

With the 97 STI bum grafted on.

New paint

Getting there

With the new struts in.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:38 am

Bit higher than my Lib now lol.

Comments & criticism welcome.
Tom.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:16 am

All I want to say, is it looks to good to take offroad! haha

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am

Lookin' good mate. Hell of a lot of work.
Love the rally tyre carrier.
Settlement Creek Racing

axle

Post by axle » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:57 am

Love the pic of the ride height with your lib in the background. Really shows how much work has gone in. Certainly like nothing else I have seen.

Good work and take plenty of pics and vids of it's first sand trip in anger.

Rob.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 am

nice work... looks the goods!!!

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 am

GT fozza rims - without question.

You will be limiting yourself to road only tyres by going 17's. There are lots of great tyre options in 16's

the thing looks awesome. You need to ditch the front bar though (before you rip it off...) and fit a 2" kit to the thing ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:00 am

by the way - can you take a shot of the tyre carrier from striaght behind the car? I want to see how visible the lights are.

I need to make a very similar thing for my lib. one day....
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am

nice! Looks good! Loved the carrier! What is it like running turbo with dual range box in low range?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Am I right in assuming that is one of those factory wheel carriers, if so, I dont suppose it has a part number on it somewhere?
Cheers
Grant

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Haven't got the box in yet but I've been told they are pretty strong & with the front LSD I figure it'll distribute the power better, it's just stock & staying that way so no great power house, yeah the front bumper is a bit of a worry but I'll only be using it on sand & more than likely putting a big fook off tray under it too.

Yeah I'm with you on the GT Foz rims, I think they suit it better & have 7mm more offset but I need to buy tyres for them, I have nearly new 17" tyres for the WRX rims & I'll only be going street tyres anyhow so????

It's aprox 2" higher than standard atm but once it's regoed I'll add a set of 1" lifts above the struts, don't want too much attention from Mr Plod & not too sure on the legalities of lifting it too much here in Perth

Here's the original car the wheel carriers came on.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Subaman wrote:Am I right in assuming that is one of those factory wheel carriers, if so, I dont suppose it has a part number on it somewhere?
Cheers
Grant
Nah no part number anywhere, it's a complete rear reo & quite strong, probably weighs 35-40kg. They were made for the Jap market with a WRX as the base car and as you can see in the pic above were called the Gravel Express, they had a real wanky front bar too.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:51 pm

when I was in NZ, I went past a subie dealer in Auckland - he had 9 Gravel Expresses sitting at the front!! Had two Gen 2 GT sedans behind them. Sigh...
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 pm

d_generate wrote: yeah the front bumper is a bit of a worry but I'll only be using it on sand & more than likely putting a big fook off tray under it too.
I didnt even think of that. I was offered a pretty decent sized tray to go under my car yesterday from the guy I got that centre console of for you. I didnt want it so Doug grabbed it. Might be worth asking him if he has a use for it perhaps?

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 pm

why would you buy road tyres?

have a look at a bridgestone D693 in 215/65R16

a mate of mine used to have a very fast lifted liberty with those tyres. they were brilliant on the road, yet offer some extra puncture resistance offroad. Captain obvious runs them too. ask him about them

ian059

Post by ian059 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Looks great. You must be planing some fast offroad action with TWO rear wings!

IanC

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 pm

They are the standard JDM STI wings, bottom one is handy as a bar to put your beer on.
Those 215/65's would lift it 1.46 inches over 205/50's, was thinking of going with 205/60's but they only lift it .84 inch so I may have a look at them, depends on how much I can get the back wheels further back, I need to go back at least 1.5cm for even clearance.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 pm

gx_rex wrote:I didnt even think of that. I was offered a pretty decent sized tray to go under my car yesterday from the guy I got that centre console of for you. I didnt want it so Doug grabbed it. Might be worth asking him if he has a use for it perhaps?
Thanks Corry, I know Doug already has one so I'll give him a yell.

daza

Post by daza » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:00 am

Hey D,
Noice rig!

The wheel travels backward as the swingarm travels up, so you can't really center the wheel.
Pic is my wagon with just the Forrie struts and springs and the Outback trailing arm brackets.

The thread is discussion on Trailing arm brackets, part numbers etc.
They should be all you need.
http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=10705

Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:16 am

yeah good point daza. My lib is the same - you cant center the wheel in the arch at ride height as it will foul the rear bumper at full comression.

I have the outback trailing arm mounts in mine and the wheel is positioned perfectly in the arch in my opinion

Return to “Subaru Chat”