US member needs help from Victoria resident

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
raugur33

US member needs help from Victoria resident

Post by raugur33 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Hello AU Subaru enthusiasts,
I am a US Subaru nut that has been trying to get one of your awesome bull bars for my Subaru wagon. We do not get these in the US and I am only aware of one in the US. I want to bid on a bull bar on Ebay AU and I need a local resident that can pickup and ship to the US. I would pay shipping and a reasonable fee for your time/effort. The bull bar that I am currently looking at is in Belgrave, Victoria, Australia.

I would return the favor if there is something in the US that you are looking for.

If anyone can help out a fellow Subaru nut please contact me: raugur@aol.com

Thanks

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 pm

I can pick it up for you, but shipping something that size is going to be expensive - really expensive. I assume it's alloy but I don't think our postal system handles items that big which means a freight forwarder...

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Yep, Australia post is limited to 20kg, and a certain size. you are gonna have to use TNT/DHL/UPS/Etc
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:45 pm

When ever I've shipped stuff from the states UPS has been the cheapest and fairly reliable...unlike TNT domestic.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

raugur33

Post by raugur33 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 am

dfoyl wrote:I can pick it up for you, but shipping something that size is going to be expensive - really expensive. I assume it's alloy but I don't think our postal system handles items that big which means a freight forwarder...

Dean.
Thanks for the help Dean. I will make a bid on the bullbar and maybe I will win.

How much does a bullbar weigh? Can you do me a big favor and call UPS AU and get a quote to ship to Portland, ORegon, USA, 97215? I can pickup at the local terminal. Shippping can be cheapest/slowest route. Thanks.

raugur33

Post by raugur33 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:24 am

Approx how much does a bullbar weigh? I need to know for shipping estimate.

Zap

Post by Zap » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 am

The bull bar I have weighs maybe 30 lbs. But. A shipping estimate is tough. It has to be palletized. The weight and size of the pallet are included.

Mine had charges from the shipping company in AU, receiving company in LA, customs in LA, customs release in LA, shipping company to Seattle, then warehouse charges in Seattle. All total (although there was also a tranny on the same pallet, and I think it's really the pallet and size that matter) it was about 900 bucks to ship my stuff here from AU. . . You may wanna rethink that bro.

Funny thing is I'm probably not gonna reuse the bull bar on my coupe. It may be up for sale soon.
The Soobs I've built---->>>http://community.webshots.com/album/37919799NGXlOA
What we do with them---->>>http://www.hatchpatrol.com

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am

for the money it will cost you in postage find an aluminium welder in your area tell him/her what you want and hey presto he /she should be able to get it done.

or try these people they are in the US

http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/Bumper.html
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:11 am

i'm sure there is bull bar places in us, if you were smart, get the diagram from australian bull bar makers, and get one made up in america. It might be worth weighing out the costs you save shipping etc? Also if you can get a bull bar from other car like Toyota, get the brackets made up to suit your subaru?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

raugur33

Post by raugur33 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 am

Zap wrote: Funny thing is I'm probably not gonna reuse the bull bar on my coupe. It may be up for sale soon.
The Zap see's all....$900, seriously? That is absurd for a 30lb piece of metal. I got a UPS air freight quote for about $900, I figured that a slow boat would be cheaper. I once had a set of Speedy Wheels (which you wound up with) shipped to me for $50. How about you give me first dibs on the bullbar when you decide, and be kind.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm

I had a tube steel rear bar (marlin crawler for my toyota) shipped from them (where ever that is) to my work in Queensland in under two weeks with ups for less than $500 AUD.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:42 pm

i sent u some pics of my big hopper nocker and it works well

raugur33

Post by raugur33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 am

Update:

Thank you all for your help on this matter. However, it looks like I have the opportunity to buy a Subaru 360 here and want to put my Bullbar money towards it.

Thanks again, Robert

Return to “Subaru Chat”