Strut braces for MY series.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
last celtic warrior

Strut braces for MY series.

Post by last celtic warrior » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Knocked these up today, after a quick bit of engineering, prototyping and template making. I've made sure the strut towers are braced in a way that takes some load off the panel joins on the firewall, without simply transfering the load directly to the other tower like a bolt on bar would do. I think they ended up looking pretty snazzy too and should look like an original part of the car once welded in and everything's painted. The first car they're going into is a Brumby that I've already done a bit of work on in strengthening it up for an EJ conversion and harsh treatment.

I'll be grafting a set into my own wagon as well, as soon as I get to it. They're designed to relieve stress from the spotwelded seams and give the strut tower more rigidity and resistance to moving under severe load, while not stopping the original crumple zones from doing their job, should the car be pushed a bit TOO far...

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm

nice who did the pressing of the metal it looks very professional

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Umm, hammered out of 1.2mm sheet by hand. (Tin snips, drill press, couple different hammers, and a vice)
Steve.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:59 am

Holy smokes!
Settlement Creek Racing

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 am

wow.. What a amazing piece of work.. You're true metal artist!
Good on you!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm

That is awesome!! You not interested in making two more for me ute?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm

That certainly looks the goods! A highway patrol cop wouldn't know it was added unless he really knew his subi's!

Good work!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brenton

Post by brenton » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:27 pm

careful welding galv steel , the gases are supposed to be really bad for you, nice looking piece you made. good work

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Umm, yeah... Fumes from welding gal WILL make you sick...

Hence why I use a ventilated welding helmet AND regulate my breathing so as not to get too much of the toxic stuff in my lungs. (Done my share of heavy industrial welding on gal materials in the past and know the effects all too well).
Steve.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Steve was thinking of make up a couple of sets to sell , but he hasnt said any more about it. I dont know what he would sell them for. Did i put you in the sh-t by say that. sorry steve. lol
Ross and myself dont wont to turn them into a production , as we dont wish to cut into anyone who is trying to make a living out of selling strut braces. As for steve, it is up to him personally if he wishs to or not.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:41 pm

im up for a set to
dib
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:45 pm

last celtic warrior wrote:Umm, hammered out of 1.2mm sheet by hand. (Tin snips, drill press, couple different hammers, and a vice)
well done Im impressed

one question after looking at my brumby today where are you going to re route all the plumbing

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:08 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Steve was thinking of make up a couple of sets to sell , but he hasnt said any more about it. I dont know what he would sell them for. Did i put you in the sh-t by say that. sorry steve. lol
Ross and myself dont wont to turn them into a production , as we dont wish to cut into anyone who is trying to make a living out of selling strut braces. As for steve, it is up to him personally if he wishs to or not.
Some extra pocket money for you guys!? but i know the feeling, I think its more exciting moving on to new project and finishing projects rather making some items that bores you... It'll be better if you had some sort mould press..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Subaru Chat”