sold the subi twinport

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
hughybabes

sold the subi twinport

Post by hughybabes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 am

I will now have to convert my ride details on this site. A guy from Brisbane bought my subi. Flew down from Brissy and drove it back. He is very happy; it didnt skip a beat and got about 12k's to the litre overall.
I am still in the process of doing up an L series.
After I get it registered, I will be after some ideas for tricking it up.
Reading Steptoes thread about cam grinds, has anyone done one on an L series to advantage ??
Also will be watching the thread on an exhaust system.
Are the L series carby ,twin throat? Can the wiring secondary throat open be done on them ?
Is the weber conversion worth considering?
1984 sportswagon
ea81 twin carburettor motor.
"d-shaped" siamese exhaust port heads.
mild low torque cam. electronic dizzy.
2.5 inch engine pipes; 2.25 tail pipe; rear sports muffler.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:01 am

A cam grind will move your torque band up higher making it feel more powerful.
A 2" inch exhaust with a hotdog and a straight through muffler at the rear will free up a couple of ponies
I wouldnt bother with the secondary throttle mod, just use your foot like everyone else does.
And yes the Webber conversion is well worth considering, as long as its tuned properly
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:16 am

Really to have any hope of getting an EA82 to breathe even half decently you need the twin inlet port EFI (MPFI) heads . The single port carby ones are all about keeping gas speed up through a smallish carburettor - not breathing well enough to make decent torque .

If keen you can do a bit of port work on EA82 EFI heads and if determined can even extend the exhaust port divider out to the exhaust ports face making them effectively a two exhaust port head . The thing is that it doesn't achieve very much if you use only one header pipe per head except maybe reduce some reversion if you used hotter cam profiles .
If however you did the divider mod and had two engine pipes from each head , and linked the front and rear pairs of cylinders instead of the adjacent ones , you can correct Subarus screwed up exhaust pulse problem and have the engine scavange far better . And lose the stupid boxer burble .

Best inlet side mod would be to rat up the Spider Voltex inlet manifold and substitute throttle bodies for EFI or twin throat down draught carburettors to achieve individual throttling per cylinder . Then you can run warmer cams and not get the chaff cutter big cam cranky running .

Most people prefer the turbo route because higher inlet manifold pressure is an easier way to jam more air down undersized ports .

A good grunty EA82T is not a cheap exercise because you HAVE to rebuild the complete engine properly (the age of the things) and most prefer a cheap unknown quantity EJ or EJ turbo engine .

I'm a purist , a L Series HAS to have an EA82/EA82T in it or its not an L Series anymore . The economic reality is that to have an EJ motor means buying one with a car attached to it - in my book anyway .
At least one person here reckons I'm trying to recreate my L Series but most things on it are from another L series or a Vortex - which incidentally were built on the L production line - yes I checked the Vin codes and it mentions this .

Quite frankly unless you have one or can't live without it (L) hot up a Liberty because the factory has done more of want you want in std form . AWD/4 wheel disc/larger more modern 16V engine/most of the goodies fall in .

And did I say 5 stud hubs/std EFI/better cooling/missus won't hate it as much - thats optional .

Your call .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:19 pm

discopotato03 wrote: missus won't hate it as much
Aint that true
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks for the replies; the sort of info I was after.( Thought someone might have referred me to the "sticky" started by Baron V C Pants. I remembered it afterwards and checked it out. Good info there too. )
""you can correct Subarus screwed up exhaust pulse problem and have the engine scavange far better . And lose the stupid boxer burble ."".......Thanks for that info; didnt know thats what caused the burble. (How do you do quotes????properly on this site).
""
""Quite frankly unless you have one or can't live without it (L) hot up a Liberty because the factory has done more of want you want in std form . AWD/4 wheel disc/larger more modern 16V engine/most of the goodies fall in .""........I like this line of thinking . I do have an L; cheap replacement for the EA81 twinport, but the liberty, mmmm. Definitely very interesting !!

Larger exhaust....starting from the manifold or after the y join??
1984 sportswagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:01 pm

discopotato03 wrote:you can correct Subarus screwed up exhaust pulse problem and have the engine scavange far better . And lose the stupid boxer burble.
Go easy! I'm one who loves the burble - it helps destinguish my vehicle from others, and its much better than an inline ricer with a canon!
discopotato03 wrote:I'm a purist , a L Series HAS to have an EA82/EA82T in it or its not an L Series anymore.
Fair enough. Being one who has EJ'd my L series I've had less problems in starting reliability, a bigger grin and would recommend it to anyone who's up for the challenge as its not "easy" and defently not for everyone to do themselves! I've done mine as its cheaper than buying and registering another vehilce, that and I love my L...

discopotato03 wrote:Your call .
I've never said it Disco, but I love the sign off when there are options to consider ;)
hughybabes wrote:How do you do quotes????properly on this site
For multi quotes - use the little "+" button if you're quoting from two or more posts. If your quoting only one post you just use the "quote" button You must be signed in to see these buttons.

Once you've used one of these quote buttons, you can cut the desired text to what you want it to be as I have done above... With Discopotato's quote I've chopped it up finer to add my comments below the relevant sections - all you need to do is copy the beginning section for the quote and add the "forward slash" QUOTE at the end in square brackets to make it work. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 am

Twin carbs from EA81 will fit on an EA82 with removal of just a little alloy. They oughta make things GO...

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 am

steptoe wrote:Twin carbs from EA81 will fit on an EA82 with removal of just a little alloy. They oughta make things GO...
Good idea, but I sold them !!
1984 sportswagon

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 pm

You are gonna have to forgive me but the boxer burble is a sound signature that's telling you that the system is not working properly . Noise is not directly proportional to power output so a "mean" note doesn't necessarily imply animal performance .

One more time .
Flat fours fire the adjacent ..

Latter , gotta cut and run and play trains .

A .

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm

yeh I used to get an awesome sound out of my old VK commodore by disconnecting one of the ignition leads :)

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm not a person I'm a mobile phone . Up all night and recharded in the day time till eyes go from red back to green .

Flat fours fire the adjacent cylinders in each bank then cross to the other bank 180 crank degrees away to do the same again .
Looking from the front of the car no1 cylinder is front LHS and no 2 front RHS , rear LHS is 3 and rear RHS is 4 .
So in sequence they fire the LHS front then rear and cross to the RHS front then rear so 1-3-2-4 , an inline four fires 1-3-4-2 .

When you fire the cylinders Subi style you get two two exhaust pulses 180 crank degrees apart then a longer pause of 360 degrees and again 180 degrees between the last pair .
What it means is that the adjacent cylinders exhaust pulses overlap where the cross from one bank to the other is longer so the cylinders don't all get the same degree of scavanging .
An inline four would suffer the same dramas if you linked 1-2 and 3-4 exhaust ports together in the exhaust manifold rather than the normal 1-4 and 2-3 .
Subaru could correct this if they cross connected the two front and two rear cylinders instead of the left and right hand pairs but it makes manifold plumbing difficult . They do it on the twin scroll EJ turbo headers which is why they make better power/torque/over wider range/cleaner emissions/better fuel consumption .
The usual "burble" system is cheaper and simpler and when uncorked just noisy . It may stroke egos but it is a functional backwards step so useless to me , sadly EA82's have siamesed exhaust ports and not economic to fix unless racing on an unlimited budget .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 pm

OK, so hughybabes sold it, new buyer drove from Vic to QLD !!

still trying to dredge up details, ramp up the dual port excitement :)

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:50 pm

steptoe wrote:OK, so hughybabes sold it, new buyer drove from Vic to QLD !!

still trying to dredge up details, ramp up the dual port excitement :)
you realise the post before yours was from back in 2009 right?
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “Subaru Chat”