3 Subies too many?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tim_81coupe
General Member

3 Subies too many?

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:38 am

Heya,
Been thinking a lot about my car situation lately. I have one car for the road and one for the dirt. However the offroader is my daily driver as the road car never seems to work. Now lately more than ever I've been feeling this is wrong.
It seems I can't put a car through any more pain than when I'm offroading it. Every part on the car gets a workout. I didn't sustain any significant damage from the last trip, however it has left the car feeling totally weird afterwards. I had an incident last week that could have killed me. The steering extension for my lift kit sort of half sheared and came off the shaft (lost steering altogether!). Luckily this happened in a carpark, but it could have happened anywhere. Couple that with the fact that the car is pulling to the left a little at the moment and it could have been catastrophic.
This incident has left me really worried about the future of my wagon. I'm scared of driving it at the moment. I did sort of fix the problem, basically by jamming the shaft further into it and tightening the bolt heaps more. Feels OK on the road but I have no faith in it anymore.
I'm thinking seriously about spending my coupe's ECU money on buying a cheap beater to get me around - something reliable that I won't be tempted to upgrade. Unfortunately this will bring with it extra costs - all up I'll be spending $1200 a year on rego alone!
Maybe I should sell / wreck one of my cars and replace that. This will mean the wagon will have to go - it's my first car and I've been through a lot with it but its really getting bad of late. No point in lifting another Subaru with the kit from the wagon - that won't fix the steering issue.

Even if I do fix the steering issue the wagon has several more issues - it has broken one of the four studs that hold the gearbox crossmember to the plate thingo. Also, it is leaking engine & gearbox oil everywhere.

What should I do? (apart from ride my pushbike everywhere which is what i'm doing now).

midnight

Post by midnight » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:55 am

Sell your wagon to me in the next few months for a small sum, get a loan, ''put a deposit on the black wrx''.

daza

Post by daza » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:24 am

Sounds like you need to stop on-roading your off-roader, the money would be better spent getting the coupe right by the sounds of it. If your road car is sorted then your safe and can take your time fixing the wagon up?
$0.02...

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:23 am

Tim glade that you were not injured in the mishap, your right it could have been catastrophic.
That being said you have to get back in the saddle… 4WD with you daily driver is always going to present problems (look at Subarino, Jono and ourselves on the last 3 trips) and will determine how hard you go (as you rely on it). In addition to this you should always be checking you componentry (not that I am suggesting you do not) we are going to wear stuff out FAST doing what we are doing atm and we seem to be doing it (4WD) all the time – not that I object.

Basically I think that that you should make a decision on what you really want to do… do you want to come 4WD with you own lift machine or a tarmac monster? You are correct in running 2 cars is massively expensive and more so if they are both off the road (as apposed to off-road).

My 2 cents is that if you build a 4WD machine you can always run it down the strip (I still want the wagon to run it regardless of it wonderful air-o) and look at Vidler and Subarino, it not like that are slow.

While on my 2c I personally think that 4WD in a EJ20T in an MY or L series is overkill (and I know that some of you will object)… I can base this on the fact that I have the EA82T and while we joke about it I feel that for 4WD I would rather the torque/grunt of an EJ N/A and if I build ever another L then this will be the power plant I would choose… however you have the engine there and I am sure that you would like to keep it.

If you want 100% what do I think = start fresh (L series – dig dig) build her from the ground up ensuring that she is nice and strong with quality parts (again not suggesting that you have not in the past), do not exceed the limits of the thing and then come kill it with us. In the mean time I would think that we could patch stuff sufficient up on the MY enough to get you mobile again, while ensuring your safety.

Its going to be your call buddy, however whatever direction you take be sure to let us know and if I can help out in any way just let me know. What are you thinking? Gut reactions in terms of a direction? We need to know what you thinking as you are the 1 driving it.

Can i call ya, maybe? or i am in Rocko this arvo i could drop in?!?!?

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

And thanks for the offer Jaffa, but you do know I don't live in Rockingham don't you? :D

My only apprehension with offroading a 20T is the water issue, I wouldn't be comfortable dunking one. And while an EJ20T offroader would haul arse, there's no way it would keep up with my coupe.

Basically I'm thinking now I'm gonna stick with my two for a while longer, but the wagon will be making way at some point for something a little less modified and certainly with better onroad manners. Maybe an early Impreza hatch.
For now I'm gonna focus on the money-pit.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Nar, I am down there this arvo to see a client, I could have swung buy you on the way back to Perth, I live up in Hillary’s/Padbury area.

Yer ok, tis a good option, i see the wagon being able to take some more pounding yet... although the EJ20t will be fine when “dunked”

Early modle hatch is the key, the unlock 4WD potential there is huge, due to its entry/exit angles… you can really see the link back to Hatchie (Subarino) as well.

aspro

Post by aspro » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:32 pm

Focus on getting the coupe right...in the mean time ease upon how the wagon is treated off road. Then if your looking to do something more reliable for off road... why not a Lifted supercharged d/r imprezza hatch lsd rear centre diff lock, graft in some outback long travel struts :twisted: . just need some time and money... (i wish!)
:lol:

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:22 pm

I would definately keep both... most of us just wish we could have a subi for on-road and offroad like u have.

In regards to the steering extension... bite the bullet... pull the steering linkage and get it extended. Get it professionally welded and also get a color weleded over the join. Although this is illegal... i would regard it as being MUCH safer than your existing set up.

I know it's seaming like un up-hill battle at the moment... but imagine the day when they are both running. Going extream offroad like we have been doing is always going to cause trouble. Hatch is almost brand new but i still manage to be working on it almost every weekend fixing issues.

If in too much doubt u can always turn to our old dream of having a L-sedan for an offroader.

Thats just my opinion.

Dave

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:11 am

Yeah an L sedan for offroad sounds attractive....and Jaffa's idea of N/A EJ power plants is good....
I know somebody with a good EJ25 forsale...... :D

But seriously....I rekon you should just drive the Coupe to work everyday. Use that as your everyday car - it doesn't use alot of fuel anyway really.

Fix the steering problem in the wagon and keep bush bashing it every weekend!! Wait until the body is completely bent in half before u look for something else. Have abit of faith in the old girl - pretty cool to be able to tell people its your first car and still going strong.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:35 am

AndrewT wrote:I rekon you should just drive the Coupe to work everyday. Use that as your everyday car - it doesn't use alot of fuel anyway really.
I dunno, the new fuel system might put a stop to that...

There's seriously a lot of work left in getting that car back on the road atm. I'm also waiting on some parts to come in the mail, and I've not even ordered the ECU yet (organising a group buy between a couple of people).

Oh, and I've still got some more wiring to do, as well as a lot of mechanical stuff too.

Wagon for now :(

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:37 pm

Tim,
Be glad your in a subaru... i'm still in a '78 lancer and i've had my subaru since jan/feb this year... go figure.

El Freddo
(aka Bennie)

Return to “Subaru Chat”