What is/was your first Subaru?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:37 pm

we've had subarus in our family forever. My grandfather was an epic subaru lover. Unfortunately he passed away before i really got into them and he never got to see how we modified them :(

He use to buy wrecked MY sedans form the auctions and fix them up/sell them. We use to have an old 83 sedan which was two cars welded together by my grandpa. The back doors never shut properly haha. Use to joke how that would be my first car, and now that i look back on it, i wish it was!

My first subaru was wanky wagon, bought it in 2005, stock as a rock with 270k on it. Modified the balls out of it which was eventually the downfall of it. Ive never loved a car as much as i loved her. Ill be honest, my heart did break the day it got picked up for scap :'(. In that time, ive bought many many parts/conversion libertys etc etc.

In 06 i bought my 2001 liberty, chucked a bodykit on it and stuff. Still own it now, great car, my second love.

My sister drives a mintox 1991 gen1 GX lib sedan, and my dad drives a 07 3.0R spec B liberty. Mum has a 08 audi A4 quattro s-line. Bloody great car(my next car i hope! :) )

Since i got rid of the wagon i bought a shorty maverick GQ patrol. Great car, slowly falling in love with it :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

we've had subarus in our family forever. My grandfather was an epic subaru lover. Unfortunately he passed away before i really got into them and he never got to see how we modified them :( he would have had a heart attack i reckon!

He use to buy wrecked MY sedans form the auctions and fix them up/sell them. We use to have an old 83 sedan which was two cars welded together by my grandpa. The back doors never shut properly haha. Use to joke how that would be my first car, and now that i look back on it, i wish it was!

My first subaru was wanky wagon, bought it in 2005, stock as a rock with 270k on it. Modified the balls out of it which was eventually the downfall of it. Ive never loved a car as much as i loved her. Ill be honest, my heart did break the day it got picked up for scap in 2009 :'(. In that time, ive bought many many parts/conversion libertys etc etc.

In 06 i bought my 2001 liberty, chucked a bodykit on it and stuff. Still own it now, great car, my second love.

My sister drives a mintox 1991 gen1 GX lib sedan, and my dad drives a 07 3.0R spec B liberty. Mum has a 08 audi A4 quattro s-line. Bloody great car(my next car i hope! :) )

Since i got rid of the wagon i bought a shorty maverick GQ patrol. Great car, slowly falling in love with it :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

someguy

Post by someguy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm

First Subaru (Wasn't mine, but I did do the majority of the restoration). It was my old mans.

It was a beautiful freshly painted silver Vortex (EA82T). Thats when I fell in love with old subarus (this was probably 10-12 years back now).

I now own an L Series (which is coming off the road for a full resto next year + a carburetted EJ engine (I am a carby enthusiast...never liked fuel injection)

Also wanting to buy a Vortex & MY Wagon for offroading
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 pm

My first Subaru was an 88 L series wagon in about 1995 or 6 totally stock which was the way it remained till it was sold and I bought a 1984 Nissan 4WD dual cab 720 diesel ute. This was great till our first set of twins came along in 2002 so the Nissan was sold for a 87 VL Commodore for $300 from a work mate. Just needed a new head. This car turned out to be an absolute rocket (and more comfy than the ute) in 1998 my wife bought the 82 MY touring wagon but it was an auto. When our second set of twins came along in 2005 the VL was sold for the KIA Carnival, the 720 was sold and I bought the 82 MY off my wife, the auto was tossed and the 4 speed dual range box fitted. The 2" lift kit was fitted and the front part of the exhaust replaced with one without the muffler in the middle of where the 2 pipes join and the air filter was modified so it could breath all the way around and not just from one point. For no particular reason except I think it would be fun I would like a dual carb set up but no luck finding one so far.

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 am

My first subaru was a 85 RX Turbo. ( about 7 years ago )

Guy had it for sale on the side of the road for $4000 and I stopped and had a bit of a look. A few weeks later hed dropped it to $3000. Probably a month after that, I stopped and asked if it was still for sale. he said it was but wasnt going and he suspected a broken timing belt. Came back a week or so later and offered him $1000. He said no way, but I left my number anyway.
Couple of weeks later got a call and he said I could have it for $1500. I said, nope, $1000 cash. Few days later he took it.

After a heap of friggin around I finally realised the module in the distributor was cactus. Couldnt get a new one anywhere. Got a secondhand one for $100 and away she went.

Car was purchased brand new by his father and passed on. Only had 140,000 k's and had actually had a new factory engine just 40 000ks previous.

Drove it for about six months then sold it for $3500

Current suby is only my second.

red_rocket

Post by red_rocket » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 am

well the first subi was at 17 yrs(2004) old when i first got my license. 1985 L series touring wagon (full elecs, gotta love it), with about 220,000 on the clock from memory. sadly sold late 2006 to go overseas.
when i got back i upgraded to a 1991 libery sedan, fairly nice car with normal aging problems, had about 220.000ish on the clock also. I ended up selling in 2008 to upgrade to my current car.
currently own a MY99 Wrx, bought late 2008 with 97,000 on the clock. perfect condition and still is with 123,000. im the second owner and that cost me 13,500
also since my heart still lyes with my first car so i bought another L series for $700 to do up and turn into the weekend offroading/camping machine. love the practicality of the wagon.
Almost finished the conversion in the L series and ready to go before mid year i reckon.

thats my 2 cents :D
L series project
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14491
Rolling in the 99 Rex though :D

32ford

Post by 32ford » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 am

the first sube I owned was a very beat up ex telstra brumby, but my grandfather had a brumby on the farm. It had all the same qualities as the toyota stout, that is you could overload it and leave it idling in a paddock all day without it overheating. since then ive had five brumbies and wrx.

Dane

Post by Dane » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

My first interest in Subaru was when I was about 3 or 4 years old and our family had an MY Wagon. It used to get us up the muddy fire trail from home to the sealed road. Later it had a slippery slide bolted to it when it was no longer roadworthy.

I watched Rallies and always followed the Subarus. Then when I was dumb enough to get car finance I bought a 2001 Liberty RX 5sp. Great car, but was replaced with the dream car after 4 years. But I did rack up about 150,000km with no worries in that time. Handling mods of TEIN coilovers, Whiteline swaybars and anti lift kit went on. During OzLiberty.com cruises even some of the turbo guys had trouble keeping up through the mountains.

For the last 6 six years I've had a Sports car and 4WD for practicality and dirtiness/able.

The F100 with the 351cl went and the Brumby came in. Which I still have. Big thanks to the BYB crew for getting the project started. It's always going to be in a state of flux. But basically it's a 3" lift with 27.5" tyres and an EJ22.

pimp2plz

Post by pimp2plz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:36 pm

First experience with a Subaru was back in 91" when my dad bought a new 91" LX liberty which later became my first car then was written of because of some careless P plater hitting it while it was parked on my uncles driveway.

troy1988

Post by troy1988 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

my first subaru was when i was 13 was a present i got for easter from my sister and bro in law. was a 83 4 door leone. then regained my love just b4 my 19th bday with an immaculate coupe that has been sitting in a shed for 10 years and i paid 400$ for it thru my old work. and now just regained a subaru with a 92 L Series Sportswagon to start my future with some 4wdin. that also was immaculate with only a screwed fuel pump which i replaced that day. paid 500$ with 3 months rego off 2 young german ladies traving round adelaide. looked in the books and has all stamps up to date. and has all the places its been, and the statistics for those trips. i have been blessed with a few bargains.. but going to be looking towards the EJ20 coversion for it :) i dont think ill ever let it go,

Gleno

Post by Gleno » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 am

My first subie was a present from my parents for my 15th birthday, a 1989 mpfi touring wagon which was completely stock, so i bought another l series 1992 i think... which had been in a front end smash but had a d/r gearbox in it and a 3inch lift.

Now all the touring wagon is waiting for now is an ej which i just need to find some time to put it in:(

I also have a 1993 lx liberty for a runabout car.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 am

Gleno wrote:My first subie was a present from my parents for my 15th birthday, a 1989 mpfi touring wagon which was completely stock, so i bought another l series 1992 i think... which had been in a front end smash but had a d/r gearbox in it and a 3inch lift.

Now all the touring wagon is waiting for now is an ej which i just need to find some time to put it in:(

I also have a 1993 lx liberty for a runabout car.
Not bad for someone who still does not have a licence :D
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 am

My first Subaru was a 89 Brumby. Watch this video of it to know the story http://offroadingsubarus.com/forum/inde ... item;in=44
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “Subaru Chat”