Twin engined Brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
niterida
General Member

Twin engined Brumby

Post by niterida » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Here are some photos of the build so far :

Rear diff removed and cradle modified to fit gearbox. This will work in real life but means the turbo up-pipe needs to be removed (run NA motor) or exhaust completely redesigned to clear everything. In hindsight using front suspension in the rear may be easier in real life. I didn't want to do this because I figured front suspension in the rear might not work in terms of handling etc, but have since found out that this will be OK.

Here is the rear mounted engine in the chassis. I decided to use the entire WRX (GDB) chassis as it was easier in the miniature world. Not sure which way would be easier for real.

I couldn't b ring myself to waste another $40 on a perfectly good WRX kit just for the engine so I decided to stick with the EA81 in front. Also it would be almost impossible in plastic to mount a WRX motor and suspension in the Brumby due to the 1 piece moulding of the engine bay etc.

Here is the body on the chassis. You can see jusrt how much wider the WRX is by the tyres sticking out the guards. Surprisingly enough the wheel base is almost identical. And yes the wheels are the correct scale but still manage to look huge on the Brumby.

And my solution to the extra track was to mould on the guards from the donor WRX :cool:

What all this has taught me is that to do what I wanted - complete WRX running gear (engine, box, steering, suspension and brakes) - is just too hard (and $$$$) on a Brumby. So the project is on hold while I consider options.

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:03 pm

im keen to attempt this in real life too. may just run 1 rear/mid mount engine and either reversed sube or porche driveline. also going to do the flare transplant. good stuff. keep it up. i like modeling too, only dont do to much.(since i have big toys now) lol
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:36 pm

Too much time on your hands! But I like the concept and the idea of doing it with models to see what it'd look like ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:36 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Too much time on your hands!
Not really - I have been doing this at work :mrgreen:
My job entails 12hrs of nothing to do except sit on my bum. Occassionally I get up to open a boom gate - maybe 15-20times on dayshift, rarely if evere on nightshift :cool:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm

niterida wrote:My job entails 12hrs of nothing to do except sit on my bum. Occassionally I get up to open a boom gate - maybe 15-20times on dayshift, rarely if evere on nightshift :cool:
Do you mind telling us what you get paid for doing this?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Suparoo wrote:Do you mind telling us what you get paid for doing this?
With a bit of overtime I get about $100k

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Bloody hell I'm in the wrong trade!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:37 pm

were can we get the subaru modles kits from...liberty..brumby...L series...???
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 pm

FROG wrote:Bloody hell I'm in the wrong trade!!!!!!!
makes you think doesn't it!

Mate of mine works on an oil rig. Makes beds, mops floors, does laundry, cleans the BBQ - that's about it. Works 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off (equates to only 6 months work per year).
He works 12 hour shifts for those 3 weeks with no days off, but yeah, gets home and does nothing for 3 weeks.
While on the rig he has all his meals free (gormet quality), access to a gym, internet, theatre with foxtel, doesn't have to spend a single cent while he's there.
Gets $101,000 a year. The bastard spends his money on completely useless crap because he just doesn't know what to do with all of it. He has a subscription to a place which sends him a new hat each month. He owns several goat-skin satchel bags he has never used.

I'm not on anywhere near that and I have a high stress job, on call basically 24/7, work usually 60+ hours a week and can barely afford to keep my cars running. arg!

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 pm

so how do we get those really cushy jobs on oil rigs? (thinking: google oil rig jobs?)

Robert.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Thats still a 40hr week - and working 21 straight 12hr shifts is a pretty big ask even if you're not working hard. But yeah its still a good gig.

I was kidding when I said I earned $100K. I'm on less than $60k which is absolute crap money for where I live and what I do. I get an extra $4500 a year for remote area allowance - which doesn't even come close to covering the extra costs. My rent is $350 wk for a shitty 40yr old fibro home with a desert for a garden. Fuel is $1.60L (or $1L for LPG), groceries are twice the price etc etc. Plus for the responsibility of carrying a gun and dealing with f-wits and potentially being called up with a minutes notice to respond to terrorist attacks or civil disorder (such as the Xmas Island riots) it sucks really.

Back on-topic :

I have had a change of plan and decided to go twin WRX engines. I have also re-done the rear engine with front crossmember and suspension and cut out the Brumby engine bay and replaced it with the WRX engine bay so that I can run WRX crossmember and suspension.

If I were doing this for real I would cut a WRX floorplan down to fit under a Brumby body. But since you have to widen the front and rear to suit you only end up with the doors and cab of the Brumby. It would easier to cut a WRX or Liberty down into a ute I think........

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 am

In that case you are well under paid ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:42 pm

post deleted - photos too big

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 pm

Oops forgot to resize the photos. Will do so as soon as Photobucket comes back online.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 pm

nice work on model. keep it up

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 pm

More photos of the progress so far :

2 WRX motors mounted. WRX inner guards, strut towers and radiator support panel mounted in engine bay. Rear suspension changed to front crossmember and suspension. Unfirtunately I had already cut up the front chassis rails and rear gearbox corssmembers so the rear end looks a bit bodgy.

Flared guards almost finished - just final smoothing to go.

In hindsight and if I was doing it for real I would take a whole WRX front cut (chassis rails, firewall, inner guards, strut towers and radiator support panel) and stitch that into the rear end of the Brumby.

Is everybody else seeing these photos at a huge size ? I have resized them on photobucket but they re still huge. I have edited the post and deleted the images, refreshed the screen, edited the post and put the links back in and they appear the correct size. When I go out of this thread and come back in they are huge again. How does that work when the source photo has been changed ?

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Nice work. What impresses me is the thought process, even if your just killing time at work. How many of us would have the thought of mocking up our ideas at scale with little cost and no finantial risk?
Well done..and yes, id like to sign up for a hat a month please

32ford

Post by 32ford » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:23 pm

thats damn fine, plant the seed of an idea in the subies boys head and wait for it to grow

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 am

Got some paint on the body today - its not finished yet though - needs a couple more coats.

riksta

Post by riksta » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 am

very nice work mate, I like it and I like the way your thinking.
Can you tell us who makes this model kit as I would like to put one in my collection.
keep up the great work your doing, looks unreal.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Return to “Subaru Chat”