EJ 22 to EJ 25 Conversion

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Ralphie

EJ 22 to EJ 25 Conversion

Post by Ralphie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 am

Has anyone done a EJ 22 to EJ 25 conversion. The motor in my 92 Liberty died and looking on eBay I saw a wrecker in Adelaide (Suby Bits) advertising an 07 Forester EJ 2.5 that would make an excellent upgrade for an earlier model. He told me he had sold 7 such motors for upgrades in the past year, and it was just a matter of changing the loom and ECU. I took his word for it and bought it without doing any further research.
Since getting the motor and seeing it isn't as straight forward as I was lead to believe, I have been in contact with A M Auto in Qld who can splice the old and new loom for me but when it is complete I have to take the car to a Subaru dealer to have the key programmed to the ECU. I have asked at my local Subaru dealer and they say they have never done that before and don't know how.
If other people have done this conversion it is obviously possible but at this point I seem to have hit a brick wall and thinking I should give the idea away.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 am

you can, there is a several options you can, is just to use the engine itself with extisting EJ22 loom on EJ25, or re-wire to accept EJ25 with EJ25's loom, it will fit in your Liberty.
There has been a few threads in here about Ej22/EJ25 conversions etc..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

daza

Post by daza » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 pm

The 07 will have ACVS and MAF and Drive-by-wire, so you'll likely have to do as AMAuto suggested, Ring around some more dealers and see if you can find one who's done it.
You could just use the short block in the lib, but you'd need to buy a set of non ACVS heads.
Daza.
:sad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”