The new Subaru Brumby. What do you want in one?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
1111giles

I like what I see.......

Post by 1111giles » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:05 am

Hey, if Subaru were to make the Impreza / Forester / Baja as in the photo chops then I would be having anyone of them!

The baja isnt available in the UK.
Question, is it aval in AUS as a RHD? Chop it like the photochop and stick a diesel in and you have the new Brumby I think! (gotta have the curve though!)

I think if you were to make one of these then the Baja would be the simplest one due to the fact that its already got a tailgate for a pick up.(I assume)

The HT Autos Impreza pick up is only about 20 miles from me in Hyde, I may call by and have a look next time I am nearby.
The rear end is fixed so that would reduce the usefulness for me. (struggle to get the bike in)

Theres a guy close to me who has converted an Impreza Turbo 5 door waggon into a VAN !
He's stripped out the inside and got rid of the side glass and seamed up the doors, its in the obligitory white van man colour too..... Bet it goes just a bit better than the old Subaru Sumo van! (Did Sumo's get to AUS?)
QUESTION
Are there any budding designers on here who could draw up some concepts for us to drool over?
Hey maybe with some concepts onboard someone could send this thread to Subaru in Japan marketing / new vehicle concepts department.
You never know what may happen......

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:46 pm

1111giles wrote:Question, is it aval in AUS as a RHD? Chop it like the photochop and stick a diesel in and you have the new Brumby I think! (gotta have the curve though!)
Nope.. I wished there was. I was looking into it years ago but started playing with the kit car instead :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

That Red Forrester ute that Phiz did up is certainly to my liking. Maybe some bigger flared guards, bigger lift/wheels and steel front and rear bars would have that thing looking mean. I own the current model XT Forester premium and would love to see something similar done with this model. No Rick you cant cut and shut this one just yet ;)

For me the important thing would be for Subaru not miss the opportunity to look after those that would use it as a recreational vehicle. For them simply to throw a ute body onto a Outback platform would be a disaster. I love the idea of Diesel and would be a must option for me. Nice crawling speed low range and an offrad capable driveline as I stated in the first post.

Ideas keep em coming.

Cheers

Chris

Point

Post by Point » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 pm

found this one a while ago....

90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 pm

^^Hmmm.....Freaky^^

yuk. good on em having a go, but that thing is Horrid. We Need a "Retro Brumby" like camaros, mustangs even beetles get lately. That, Would be sweet.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

1111giles

Baja conversion - the new brumby?

Post by 1111giles » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 am

RSR 555 wrote:Nope.. I wished there was. I was looking into it years ago but started playing with the kit car instead :)
Might be worth a bash converting from wrong side steering to Right hand drive......then its possible?
I'm sure you could do it!

1111giles

Forester conversion......

Post by 1111giles » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am

lovey80 wrote:That Red Forrester ute that Phiz did up is certainly to my liking. Maybe some bigger flared guards, bigger lift/wheels and steel front and rear bars would have that thing looking mean. I own the current model XT Forester premium and would love to see something similar done with this model. No Rick you cant cut and shut this one just yet ;)

For me the important thing would be for Subaru not miss the opportunity to look after those that would use it as a recreational vehicle. For them simply to throw a ute body onto a Outback platform would be a disaster. I love the idea of Diesel and would be a must option for me. Nice crawling speed low range and an offrad capable driveline as I stated in the first post.

Ideas keep em coming.

Cheers

Chris
Just spotted a 2005 Forester Turbo on UK Ebay with a blown engine......wonder if the wife would twig on if another car mistically appeared ? .....It could be cheap and would be a donor for the next pick up project ....... Bah! best not could be expensive and I havent yet paid for the Shipping for the Brumby Front cut (for the air con system). Plus she's just booked summer hols to Greece! £££££ARRGGGHHH!!!!
Cheers
Giles

1111giles

Retro Brumby

Post by 1111giles » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 am

maxxair wrote:^^Hmmm.....Freaky^^

yuk. good on em having a go, but that thing is Horrid. We Need a "Retro Brumby" like camaros, mustangs even beetles get lately. That, Would be sweet.
Total agree.
With the mechanicals, engines, suspensions already there plus the factory Knowledge - this idea is 'do-able'
Given a decent effort from Japan the product could run and run and earn ££$$£$YYYY for Subaru, for years to come......just look at Land Rover and To&%$a Hi-Lux basically cash cows for the factory's!

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:51 am

I want it to have rocket drive engines so I can fly to the moon...
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 am

^^pehaps your spaced enough???^^ JKS!

Make more photo chops Pleeeeaassse P.
Cheers, Rohan M.

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

I heard about a year ago that a guy in bathurst made one from a liberty and a commodore ute, never ever could find photos of it though, it was apparently in the bathurst paper, a work mate hoildaying their told me about it.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 pm

I have actually heard of that. Maybe its been mentioned on here before
nncoolg wrote:I heard about a year ago that a guy in bathurst made one from a liberty and a commodore ute, never ever could find photos of it though, it was apparently in the bathurst paper, a work mate hoildaying their told me about it.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 pm

H6 manual! Or a diesel...

The factory option of lift and 'the extras' such as power windows, AC/PS etc etc.

Body wise, something similar along the lines of the much cherished MY Brumby, still needs to be just smaller than a medium sized vehicle as I reckon this is where subaru has gone wrong with the current line up.

Centre diff lock. Diff lockers = dreaming, but would be awesome (because we'd all be wanting them in our subis!)

Something rugged yet refined (slightly)...

The larger doors that remain frameless. While the photoshoped images above look good, I reckon the only thing they lack are the length of the brumby doors. Love the WRX one by Phiz, that really looks the part and would be about the size of a new brumby that I reckon would be the go.

My 2c if I was designing it ;) There will be more but brain is too excited to remember any more things... Yeah, a targa top option too :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Point wrote:found this one a while ago....

This is actually the closest thing to a Brumby i have seen. I like it
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm

^^ ME TOO! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 pm

^^Sooo Wrong. short doors, looks like perspex rear windows. probly no tailgate. Reminds me of those pink Silvia/180sx drift 'utes'. eww.
Cheers, Rohan M.

kayoteq

Post by kayoteq » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Overhead turbo scoops.

:D

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Nothing photodreamed has anything like the length of cargo area that I think Brumbys have .
Cockies dont give a rats about diff locks and twin turbo engines and lets face it the man on the land and or commercial vehicle owners are where the real markets at . Carting around hay bales or the odd broken motor bike is more important than rock hopping .

I reckon the Brumby concept was killed off because Subaru wanted to lose the all road 4WD image and strap on the on road AWD one for volume sales . They stood to sell more Libs and Imprezas anyway so the smaller volume aging ute was lopped off the tree .
Mass sales I think were more important to Zoob than the low volume semi commercial no matter how much some liked them .

A .

alang

Post by alang » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm

it would be nice if they got the outback and turned it into a twin cab cut the back of it and put a tub or tray back on it some think like they use to do to the Toyota troopies before they made the landcruser bigger.
key-less entry and push button start
maybe all the mods that people are doing to the cars now would be good.

alang

Post by alang » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:38 pm

discopotato03 wrote:Nothing photodreamed has anything like the length of cargo area that I think Brumbys have .
Cockies dont give a rats about diff locks and twin turbo engines and lets face it the man on the land and or commercial vehicle owners are where the real markets at . Carting around hay bales or the odd broken motor bike is more important than rock hopping .

I reckon the Brumby concept was killed off because Subaru wanted to lose the all road 4WD image and strap on the on road AWD one for volume sales . They stood to sell more Libs and Imprezas anyway so the smaller volume aging ute was lopped off the tree .
Mass sales I think were more important to Zoob than the low volume semi commercial no matter how much some liked them .

A .
a mechanic mate of mine was telling me that they didn't meet the us standards for safety so they stopped making them
:D

Return to “Subaru Chat”