Chip / exhaust for XT Forester?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Willie

Chip / exhaust for XT Forester?

Post by Willie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Due to the way the lease works on the wife's MY06 XT Foz, we need to spend some excess cash that has built up in the account before the lease ends at the end of the year - or we'll be hit with FBT. We'll be getting new tyres soon and most likely a new battery before the end of the year; but that won't expend the surplus.

I have been thinking about a chip and exhaust, with the main criteria being to improve fuel economy without loss of power or drivability. An increase in power would be nice, but not a priority. I'm quite happy with the power it delivers as standard.

Anyone had experience with the 2.5 turbo motor upgrades as described? Any recommendations for Sydney based companies to do the work would be appreciated. I will be checking out MRT (as they have a pretty good rep, and they're in Sydney).

I'll also be looking into getting all the little 'shopping centre' dings and scratches fixed up. Recommendations for this work also appreciated.

Cheers,
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

will.xt

Post by will.xt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Hey Willie
sounds like you have the exact intentions as me with my my07 xt. They do suck gas and i am pretty happy with the power too. I actually live just around the corner from you so let me know if you find anyone in our area to do the work. So far all i have seen is a chip you can order from the US http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Subaru/Forester/ it is not expensive which make me a little skeptical. has any one had any thing similar.
Any way i will keep looking too and hopefully we can come up with something.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:30 pm

unfortunately most chips/ecu flash upgrades are too achieve more power. More power = more fuel usage GENERALLY.

im not 100% sure (this is from experice with my mums audi a4 turbs.) but its had a level one ecu flash. Increasing power from 167kw up to 198kw and torque up to just under 400nm. It uses the same, if not less amount of petrol. I dont really understand it haha.

best bet is to ring around and get it done locally, youd want a warranty with that sort of thing and be able to return it back to stock if necessary.

how much surplus do you have to spend if you dont mind me asking?
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 pm

So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 pm

I would ring Pulse Racing before MRT ,also as Paul used to be the head tuner a MRT a few years ago.

I Know i should not be saying this ausubaru does not have as much info on foresters as ozfoz.com i would have a look at some posts on that forum also
So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

Return to “Subaru Chat”