what have you done for your subaru lately?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 am

ScubyRoo wrote:fixed my exhaust... it had a snapped bolt just before the cat on the down pipe so pulled it off the car, chopped said bolt off and attempted to drill it out... was off centre so I cut the side of the flange off and fab'd up a bracket, welded it onto the existing flange, primed it up against rust, new gasket and walla, no noisey exhaust any more :) It's always nice when you make something up from scratch and it works!

Also about to replace the thermostate and soon to head to the wreckers to look for a towbar.

Cheers,
Owen.
Sounds like your prety well tooled up, something I need to focus on, ive been looking at hobart 110v wire feeds....someday when the wagon project is finished up.
Cheers, mark
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:45 am

Pootcrum wrote:The Brumby on my end is getting a lot of attention of late, and I am buying up tools like mad. But the most recent fix is a new thermostat and thermostat housing (snapped the old one when I torqued it a bit hard with a misaligned thermostat), some degreaser to find this damn leak, bit of a wash and clean, and hopefully soon (funding dependent) some new ignition components.
I really like your Brumby mate, and ive sent pics to my younger bro who is an an excellend fabricator and certified for every aspect of welding except underwater, the bull bars you fella's run are awesome...well see:)
Cheers, Mark

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 am

FREEDOM wrote:Installed a 240v GPO in the back of the wagon, along with the inverter and Over-ride missileswitch.
Whats a GPO? Ive got a 1000 watt continueous invertor and a battery isolater, but gpo i havnt got a clue.
Cheers, Mark

Pootcrum

Post by Pootcrum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:50 pm

T'subaru wrote:I really like your Brumby mate, and ive sent pics to my younger bro who is an an excellend fabricator and certified for every aspect of welding except underwater, the bull bars you fella's run are awesome...well see:)
Cheers, Mark
Cheers, the pic in my sig is from the river crossing at my grandparents farm, where the old girl came from. Beautiful spot, and holds lots of sentimental value to me, as does the ute. Want to get myself something newer to run about in, but will never let go of the Brumby as long as I have any control over it.

I really like the style of bar on this era of Brumby, agressive yet restrained. One day in the not too distant future it will be coming off for a good clean, and a respray of the black anti-reflection part across the inside of it.

That pic is oldish now, i got clipped by a van on the drivers side and so now the decals are missing on that door. I hope to pull some decals off and see how the fade is, and fingers crossed I can get them all off for a clean red look without noticeable paint variations where they used to be. And I wish I had a set of nice Sunraysias.

Back on topic though, today I check out my dizzy cap and rotor, as I have discovered it has been over 2 years since they were last inspected/replaced. This may be the cause of my problems....

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Left front bearings, left front ball joint, tightened up the rack ends, swapped out the thermostat, new belts, plugs, leads, dissy cap, aircleaner, threw the timing light on her and reset the timing, polished the bullbar, replaced the trailer plug. Took me almost 3 hrs.

olddog642

Scamp

Post by olddog642 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Well Scamp got a carby rebuild with all new seals plus bushes fitted today
should make it feel better ehehhe
Hylton:twisted:
Attachments
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:31 pm

I finally got around to fitting wanky the Gravel Express roo/nudge bar on Friday, it needs to be moved across and have one of the bottom arms sorted but that's a heating & welding job which will probably never get done. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.

Trying to straighten the bottom bar but even with the car lifted it wouldn't budge.

Fitted after a bit of messing around & I got it to sit straight/level but forgot to take a snap lol.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Fitted a new section of heater hose because the old one leaked at the spider manifolds tube end and tried to cook me again . Being EA82T paranoid I still carry 3L of water with me and it got me out of trouble again .

I think you'll find that Brembo is one of the few suppliers still making discs for XT6s , Subaru America would know this and sell them as genuine I reckon .
I can't imagine FHI using a non Japanese supplier back in the 80's for consumables like disc rotors particularly on a Japanese manufactured car .
Its a different story when performance cars use Brembo brake calipers and discs as standard equipment . Just on this don't assume these bits are the same as Brembo competition brake parts because they are most certainly are not what you find on a dedicated race car .

Mind you the Brembos on Evolution Lancers use big discs and very adequate calipers , probably a similar situation on later Impreza STis .

As per XT6 front pads , I have a feeling that they may be the same as XT4/L Series because from the XT6 WSM the front calipers floating sections appear to be the same as L /XT4 .
What Subaru did was use a unique knuckle in that the caliper mounting spacing was I think the same as L/XT4 but the knuckle otherwise was more like the early Liberty one . I think theres something different in the inner hub grease seal area and the CV joint could be different there as well .
I remember reading on USMB ages ago that someone there was making a transition seal up to I think use early Lib CVs in them .
They were basically a production prototype for 1st gen Lib front end bits and lots of minor dimensional changes were made for the later car .
The big change was sending the handbrake south and using more modern calipers than XTs had .

A .

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

d_generate wrote:I finally got around to fitting wanky the Gravel Express roo/nudge bar on Friday, it needs to be moved across and have one of the bottom arms sorted but that's a heating & welding job which will probably never get done. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.

Trying to straighten the bottom bar but even with the car lifted it wouldn't budge.

Fitted after a bit of messing around & I got it to sit straight/level but forgot to take a snap lol.

Nice different bar Ive seen. Looks great hey...
That cable winch.. oooh *covers my eyes*
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:00 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:That cable winch.. oooh *covers my eyes*
Nothing wrong with that winch if you use it with some care!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Nothing wrong with that winch if you use it with some care!

Cheers

Bennie
Thats right Bennie, I've seen some people getting injured by using them incorrectly or not being careful and its not nice.. I am not having a go at anyone, its their choice using them.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

1111giles

Scooby's jobs

Post by 1111giles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey Guys,
Thought I should just add my recents to Scoob.
Well thanks to a certain person (you know who you are) who is an absolute champion, I now have Disc's all round on my MVBRUMBRAT. It stops on a sixpence! Brilliant!
Also fitted Scruffy's engine and gearbox so performance is restored and the smokescreen on the over run is no more!
Whilst at it we have fitted new coolant hoses and original subaru clamp / clips.
Bought NEW front fender indicators and complete (both sides)NEW tail lamps so Scoob really does look fresh now:)
We swapped the torsion bar off the OZBrumby along with the bushes so scoob feels very firm and 'planted' at the front now
Done a small amount of welding to the cab floor - just because we had good access due to the interior being removed due to........AIR CONDITIONING being installed. Currently in process of being charged up and re-wired (tidy up job and make good)
Hey that's about it for now piccy's to follow.....promise!
:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 pm

T'subaru wrote:Sounds like your prety well tooled up, something I need to focus on, ive been looking at hobart 110v wire feeds....someday when the wagon project is finished up.
Cheers, mark
Hahaha, piss of crap welder from bunnings (our version of Home Depo) that can weld thick materials fine... safety gear and a decent angle grinder, high quality drill bits and a can of primer - all set!

When you're not doing appearance grade work its amazing what you can get done without the greatest gear... its when I want something to look nice that I get into trouble...
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 pm

wheeled the shit out of it.....

ahaha that is all

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 pm

T'subaru wrote:Sounds like your prety well tooled up, something I need to focus on, ive been looking at hobart 110v wire feeds....someday when the wagon project is finished up.
Cheers, mark
Hey Mark,
If you take the plunge with a welder, dont go cheap route. I have a 250amp 240volt 1 phase mig - a hang over from when we had the engineering works.
Used this one on site and as I had no 3 phase at my home work shop decided to keep this one and let all the 3 phase ones go.
This one is a Thermadyne (made in the US) top kit will last forever and lays down super smooth runs.
Consumables are top quality and out last cheap stuff ten times.
Pity I dont really use it like it was made for but just like having the kit for when we need it!:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 pm

discopotato03 wrote:Fitted a new section of heater hose because the old one leaked at the spider manifolds tube end and tried to cook me again . Being EA82T paranoid I still carry 3L of water with me and it got me out of trouble again .

I think you'll find that Brembo is one of the few suppliers still making discs for XT6s , Subaru America would know this and sell them as genuine I reckon .
I can't imagine FHI using a non Japanese supplier back in the 80's for consumables like disc rotors particularly on a Japanese manufactured car .
Its a different story when performance cars use Brembo brake calipers and discs as standard equipment . Just on this don't assume these bits are the same as Brembo competition brake parts because they are most certainly are not what you find on a dedicated race car .

Mind you the Brembos on Evolution Lancers use big discs and very adequate calipers , probably a similar situation on later Impreza STis .

As per XT6 front pads , I have a feeling that they may be the same as XT4/L Series because from the XT6 WSM the front calipers floating sections appear to be the same as L /XT4 .
What Subaru did was use a unique knuckle in that the caliper mounting spacing was I think the same as L/XT4 but the knuckle otherwise was more like the early Liberty one . I think theres something different in the inner hub grease seal area and the CV joint could be different there as well .
I remember reading on USMB ages ago that someone there was making a transition seal up to I think use early Lib CVs in them .
They were basically a production prototype for 1st gen Lib front end bits and lots of minor dimensional changes were made for the later car .
The big change was sending the handbrake south and using more modern calipers than XTs had .

A .
Nice catch Adrian, Im sure that Brembo's being oem on the xt6 was incorrect on my part, im not sure who the manufacturer was, most likely a Japan supplier, I would agree. I had a choice of 3 different manufacturers and immediately recognized Brembo, their hard to miss on the wrx sti's running around here and felt that they would be a good oem quality part.
Ive done a fair amount of research, but im more of a hands on learner and what ive found so far is that the xt6 lower control arms and ball joint will accept either xt6 or ej knuckles, hubs etc. Parts between the 2 cannot be mixed as there is a spacing difference that wont allow calipers to be mounted up properly, as well as a lack of pb cable hook up on the ej calipers. Also the xt6 does not use a camber bolt as the ej's do. I have a pair of ej Legacy axles as well as some L series kicking around but havnt compared the cv's to know what the differences are, and I didnt pull the ej knuckles and such from a donor car I parted for an ej conversion, probably should of though...
Cheers, Mark

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 am

1111giles wrote:Hey Mark,
If you take the plunge with a welder, dont go cheap route. I have a 250amp 240volt 1 phase mig - a hang over from when we had the engineering works.
Used this one on site and as I had no 3 phase at my home work shop decided to keep this one and let all the 3 phase ones go.
This one is a Thermadyne (made in the US) top kit will last forever and lays down super smooth runs.
Consumables are top quality and out last cheap stuff ten times.
Pity I dont really use it like it was made for but just like having the kit for when we need it!:mrgreen:
^ what he said :D. I can't wait to get my MIG (c'mon tax return!), then I can start my rear bar project and make myself a decent bash guard to fit my outback's factory headers (turbo style :cool:)

What I have I done today? hmmm

When I got very bogged at the "snow trip" two weekends ago ("snow" as we didn't really find much) and dropped my rear left wheel into a very large hole (pics) I thought all the damage I'd done was rip a bit of plastic... then yesterday starts this sound like a midget hiding underneath the trans tunnel with a hammer tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap... then last night, wack wack wack wack, then this morning... THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP... sounded like my centre bearing had finally gone (its been whining for months) and I thought ah shiiiiiiiit... had a look under tonight and low and behold my exhaust was pushed up into the centre bearing and also onto the rear left drive shaft. Took it off, stood on it, levered it on the front yard tree... bit of TLC... and now booyah, no more hammer-wielding midget :mrgreen:

Me bogged - the rear left wheel was about 10cm from the ground...

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 am

after getting up at 12:30, and having some brunch, i did some grinding, then welding, then grinding, then sandblasting, then welding, a bit more sandblasting, then off to my j.o.b.

looking forward to tomorrow... more of the same.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:52 am

d_generate wrote:I finally got around to fitting wanky the Gravel Express roo/nudge bar on Friday, it needs to be moved across and have one of the bottom arms sorted but that's a heating & welding job which will probably never get done. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow.
HMMM, gravel express kit!!
:drool:
The first time I read the dictionary, I thought it was a book about everything.
-S. Wright-

If at first you don't succeed, rev harder!

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 am

Mark there is a way to get the L/XT4 floating caliper/E brake clamp onto Lib knuckles , it involves using RS Lib caliper mounting brackets . From memory you have to use the larger RS Lib discs and I think helicoil the threads in the mounting brackets because while the XT/L slide pins are the same diameter thread thread changed from metric fine to metric coarse .
The RS Lib calipers I have are are the cast iron bridge section ones , some RSs I believe used calipers with aluminium floating sections and their mounting brackets I was told use the same thread as the L/XT slide pins .
I can't confirm but helicoiling threads is safe if done properly .

Yes the XT6s knuckles are wider in the section that bolts between the dampers mounting ears . I don't see why you couldn't use eccentric camber bolts if they are made properly in the right grade of steel .
My RX L Series uses Noltec adjustable strut tops intended for a GT Forrester , I didn't gain much if any camber change but every degree of positive caster you can get into a Subaru works wonders with understeer .
IMO the best way is to have a good Rally fabricator extend (actually make two sets of front control arms into one) and change the inner bush tubes angle so you don't stress the bushes and pull the bottoms of the struts forward . Because the track has widened you need to use longer front axles and handily first gen FrWD Libs use slightly longer front axles . XT6 front axles are whats needed to do this mod to an L Series because they are longer than L ones and Lib ones are too long for an L .

Cheers Adrian .

Return to “Subaru Chat”